PDA

View Full Version : 9 1/2 or 10

Rob Bodenschatz
11-04-2006, 12:08 AM
In my future shop, would I really notice the difference between having 9'6" high ceilings vs. 10'? I don't want to get in to the reason why I'm asking this question because it will probably start a big thing. I just want to know, at that height, would six inches be that big a deal?

Al Garay
11-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Well, if this is the shop of your dreams, you should know the answer.

Per Swenson
11-04-2006, 7:42 AM
Rob,

As the age old saying goes, " I'll take every inch I can get"
or "give em and inch they will take a mile"

Per

Rob Russell
11-04-2006, 7:53 AM
If it's not a big deal to add the 6", go for it. I'm in a shop where the ceiling clearance is 6'6" to the bottom of the floor trusses. An exra 6" would be a huge difference to me.

Andy Hoyt
11-04-2006, 8:18 AM
The only materials that you'll save money on are nails, mud, and paint.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-04-2006, 9:13 AM
Looks like I'll need to be more clear. It's not really a cost issue. I want to raise the floor six inches to run DC and electric under it. By doing so, I'll lose six inches of wall height. If the walls were 8', I know it would make a difference. I'm hoping it wouldn't at 10'.

Andy Hoyt
11-04-2006, 9:24 AM
Okay. If that meant losing access to the ductwork for maintenance, unclogging, or retrofitting, I'd avoid it.

Allen Bookout
11-04-2006, 9:34 AM
I have 9' and it is enought for what I do. If I had 10' I would GLADLY give up 6" to have the underfloor setup that you are talking about.

John Bush
11-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi Rob,
Nice problem to have! I have 10'+ ceilings with drops for all my DC and power cords to each machine and I would gladly give up some heigth to hide as much infrastructure as possible. I assume you can (pre)engineer/design so you can change your layout as you may need to. I initially was going to design covered trenches in my slab to run all my duct and power, but ran out of time in figuring out the design. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Good idea and good luck, JCB.

Jim Becker
11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
As Andy mentioned, unless you have access to your DC ductwork under the floor for maintenance and changes (you will invariabley have the latter at some point...trust me...), I'm not in favor of under-floor dust collection most of the time. As to the 6"...you probably will not notice it either way most of the time.

Rolf Safferthal
11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
My shop has 12'. Seems to be a lot and at the very beginning I thought that´s too much. Later on building a staircase I changed my mind. Seems it depends what you are doing.

One problem with a higher ceiling: you need more wattage für lighting or you may have to bring the light (lamp) some way down to the place where you work.

Art Mulder
11-04-2006, 1:11 PM
Looks like I'll need to be more clear. It's not really a cost issue. I want to raise the floor six inches to run DC and electric under it. By doing so, I'll lose six inches of wall height. If the walls were 8', I know it would make a difference. I'm hoping it wouldn't at 10'.

Wood Floor, then? :D

Personally, I doubt that I'd notice the difference. it's still more than your standard 8'. (which I almost have in my basement shop)

On the other hand, I just carried a 10'4" board into my shop today, and I can't stand it on end. But that doesn't really matter, as I'm going to break it down pretty quickly.

Note that this is also less volume to heat or condition.

Best wishes,
...art

Jim Becker
11-04-2006, 2:54 PM
Oh...Art reminds me. If this means getting a wood floor, than I'm ALL for it, even if you don't put any utilities under it! Nice!

Alex Berkovsky
11-04-2006, 3:27 PM
Rob,
:mad:... I thought you posted a picture of a female and were asking us if she is a 9.5 or 10. :D:p

Rob Bodenschatz
11-04-2006, 4:30 PM
Yeah, the wood floor is a big part of it.

Art Mulder
11-04-2006, 5:00 PM
Yeah, the wood floor is a big part of it.

Rob,
I think if you laid out more details, you'd get a lot more knowledgeable feedback.

For instance, Why do you need to raise the floor to make it wooden? Are you planning to pour a slab and then build a wooden floor 6" above that? Seems kind of wastefullt o me. If you're doing that, then I'd get in touch with Frank Pellow or Marty Walsh -- or at least read the threads about them building their shops -- where they use concrete piers instead of a slab, and build a wooden floor atop those.

Maybe there is more to it than that, but all I can do right now is guess, since I don't know what you're planning or thinking.

Also, if you post some photos of the proposed location, I'm sure people will have suggestions also - is it flat, or does it slope, how's the drainages, where is it in relation to the house/driveway, etc.

(I'm not a builder, and I've never built a house or shop, but I've been on forums for years, hence my confidence that more details will get you more and better responses.;) )

best,
...art

Rob Bodenschatz
11-04-2006, 9:57 PM
Well Art, you asked for it...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45376