PDA

View Full Version : Overstocked truck inventories...anybody shopping?

Rob Haddon
11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
A little off topic I know, but one could argue that a pickup truck is a woodworking tool in the general sense.

I've been wanting a newer truck for a while now. Current one is 18 years old and the cab is too small (I'm 6'9" and the leg room in the new Ford F250 super cab is the stuff of dreams for me).

I don't normally go for new vehicles but all the reports I'm hearing about desperate U.S. truck manufacturers is intriguing. Anybody out there taking advantage of the situation? What kind of deals can you get?

Jon Eckels
11-04-2006, 12:04 AM
You know, I was wondering. I've heard report after report in the past week or so about how all the american auto manufacturers have enormous stockpiles of last years models still on lots, but I haven't seen any good deals announced on them as of yet.I've been waiting for some kinds of 50% off sales or something. Seems in order.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-04-2006, 12:16 AM
That's funny cause I just read an article this week that Americans are back to their big-vehicle buying ways. Truck & SUV sales are up. Seems gas prices have dipped over the past few months and we've forgotten all about that gas price thing.

I'd like a truck but I'm getting a new shop instead. Have to make do with the wife's minivan. Maybe I'll get one when my youngest graduates from college in 22 years.:o

Edit: Found the article: http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/01/magazines/fortune/pluggedin_taylor_SUVsales.fortune/index.htm

Gary Herrmann
11-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Rob, I'm 6'7, and I know exactly what you're talking about. I wouldn't count on a huge sale. Pick a truck and get what you want. Driving something you don't fit in ain't any fun at all.

A couple years ago, I was able to get an 05 Tundra Double Cab for fleet price and .9% pricing due to my wife's job. Its nice to be able to sit up straight, stretch out and drive comfortably.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jim Becker
11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
If I ever bought another pickup it would be another Tundra.

Joe Pelonio
11-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Today the paper has full page ads for several dealers with discounts of $6000 on some of the pickups. True they have been selling a few more but still have way too many 06 models to get rid of. Last time I bought new I waited until the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and got an amazing deal because they were desperate. Just make an offer and stick to it, try elsewhere if they won't bite.

Rob Haddon
11-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Too bad because they're nice trucks and a bit cheaper than domestics. Too cramped for me though. If I'm going to be cramped, I might as well stick with the old truck.

I've been driving for about 25 years now and have never (ever ever) been comfortable in a vehicle. But then I struggle with the idea of a big comfortable domestic truck versus it's bad gas milage and the affect that has on my pocket book and the environment.

I've thought about getting a trailer for the family minivan for when I need to haul stuff. But then with a trailer on the back, the minivan probably gets the same milage as a new truck. Plus, I was born with a piece missing from by brain. It's the piece that controls how to backup while pulling a trailer.

I'll probably hit the lots after Thanksgiving and again after Christmas. Maybe they will be desperate enough to sell below their cost.

Frank Fusco
11-04-2006, 12:46 PM
I was a loyal Dodge man for many years. That is until the differential on my truck went out. Then five months later the transmission. All the shops I checked with told me I was lucky to get 117,000 miles out of them. Much less with GM models.
My next truck will be a Ford Ranger. I just don't fit the full size Fords. I'm 5'7" and feel like I'm in gigantus world sitting in a full size Ford truck. They are built for you tall guys.

Wes Bischel
11-04-2006, 1:27 PM
Frank, I'm with you - same height - and the Ranger was just fine when I had it. Plus I could reach over to the other door when necessary - can't do that in a full size.:)

Rob, one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel - push to the left, the trailer turns to the left, push the wheel to the right, the trailer goes right. It's the only way I keep it straight - er, so to speak.:D

Wes

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2006, 1:40 PM
Frank, I'm with you - same height - and the Ranger was just fine when I had it. Plus I could reach over to the other door when necessary - can't do that in a full size.:)

Rob, one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel - push to the left, the trailer turns to the left, push the wheel to the right, the trailer goes right. It's the only way I keep it straight - er, so to speak.:D

Wes

Yes Wes..........And if you're driving a 4WD....put it in 4WL.....it slows things down......and allows you time to think.....

Frank Fusco
11-04-2006, 1:50 PM

Wes

He said he was pulling a trailer. Are you "pulling" trailer when you are backing? :eek: :D
I put my hand on the top of the steering wheel and turn it the 'wrong' direction from what I want the trailer to do. :rolleyes:

Paul Greathouse
11-04-2006, 1:57 PM
Rob

I thought I was tall at 6'4", You and Gary have got me by a couple of inches. I can give you a few suggestions about trucks though. I just got through with 8 years of hauling my boys to high school and other rodeos. In the process I have been around alot of people who own and really use full size and larger trucks. Mostly the big three Ford, GM and Dodge.

I recently traded in our rodeo truck on a yukon for my wife to drive. It was a 99 ford f350 single rear wheel 4 door long bed diesel. It had 176,000 miles and was still going strong, the weak link was the automatic transmission, it was just enough transmission for all the torque the engine put out. I had the solinoid pack in the transmission changed once and the torque converter replaced another time and I'm not an abusive driver although I was pulling a 35' gooseneck trailer with 2-3 horses in it almost every weekend and several weekday afternoons.

You need to stay away from the newer Ford diesels with the 6.0 engines, they definately haven't worked the kinks out yet and that is according to a Ford dealership diesel mechanic that my dad knows. If you want a Ford diesel and are willing to buy used, anything with the 7.3 engines should be good.

Also stay away from the Ford gas engines. I know two different people that traded in their new gas engine Fords because of the poor fuel mileage (12mpg Hwy unloaded).

The Dodge gas engines are equally as bad on gas but their diesel engines get good mileage. I haven't been in a new dodge but my son's 97 model has alot of leg room.

I also know several people that have the GM duramax diesels, some of them were previous Ford owners and comment that the power and fuel mileage (16mpg hwy unloaded) are similar to the 7.3 Ford diesels.

My daily driver is a 95 GMC 2500 with the good ole 350 engine. It has 187,000 miles on it and is still a great truck. I sold the heavy trailer so I don't need the diesel power anymore. If I had to buy a new one right now it would be another 3/4 ton GM gas engine, they get the best mpg of the gas engines and still have plenty of power for normal use.

I don't have anything against a Toyota, they are great trucks too but they don't make a 3/4 ton yet and I won't buy anything smaller. I still need the haul-ability sometimes.

If you have any more specific questions let me know. If I haven't owned or driven what your asking about, I probably know someone who does. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are real popular down here.

Jim Becker
11-04-2006, 3:04 PM
The new Tundra coming in early 2007 is upsized from the previous versions. They added another US plant for it in Texas, too...

But in re-reading your original post, I can see that you are a "big fellow". You have a lot of leg to accomodate!

Frank Fusco
11-04-2006, 3:45 PM
Paul said: "The Dodge gas engines are equally as bad on gas ...."
My '99 Dodge 1500 with the 360 engine is consistent at 16 mpg unloaded. It is an automatic with overdrive. In the Ozarks we have hills that affect milage a lot. Until three years ago I raised cattle and occasionally hauled a 16' stock trailer with cows in it or a tractor on a flatbed. Almost daily in winter I carried a couple round bales of hay.
Milage isn't a complaint. Tranny and diff. failing are my complaints.

Jason Roehl
11-04-2006, 4:24 PM
I once drove an '03 Dodge 1500 w/ the 360, as a rental. It was the new body style, right before the new Hemi came out. I think I managed 11mpg, but as it only had 250 miles on it, I wasn't nice to it. :D I've heard that the Hemis are costly at the pump, too, many struggling to do much more than 12-13mpg. My old F250 w/351 gets 10-12mpg. The Dodge diesels are definitely the best on gas--20+ is not uncommon on the mid-late '90s models, newer ones tend more towards 18-20 because of the higher output and emissions req's. The Chevy gassers tend to have better mileage than the others, but beware of the piston slap, and I don't think I'd ever buy the Duramax--I can't see having aluminum heads on a diesel as being a lasting setup.

I'd bet if you go make an offer and stand your ground, they might come around to it, particularly if you mention that you have other vehicles in mind from other dealers.

Michael Morgan
11-04-2006, 5:22 PM
I just got a new company truck yesterday, 2006 F-150 Super Crew (4 full doors) and a six foot bed, Its loaded with I think about everything including SAT radio. Sticker Price was $36,450.00, The company I work for paid $27,500.00 for it. It's pretty nice truck;)

Wes Bischel
11-04-2006, 6:32 PM
Yes Wes..........And if you're driving a 4WD....put it in 4WL.....it slows things down......and allows you time to think.....

For me, the slower the better!:D

"He said he was pulling a trailer. Are you "pulling" trailer when you are backing?"

No, not me, but I've seen it done before, though I can't remember why they were doing it.

I put my hand on the top of the steering wheel and turn it the 'wrong' direction from what I want the trailer to do.

Every time I've done that I get all befuddled - I'm a simple guy so the easier the better. It's hard enough remembering right from left!:D

Rob Haddon
11-05-2006, 9:00 PM
I need to get out and see what fits me. I've already tried Toyota (too small). Didn't bother with Nissan (I can tell just by looking that they are way too small). Ford F150 getting closer but still too small. When I tried the F250 super cab with the 60/40 split bench seat I was in Heaven. In fact, I got the driver's side all comfy for me, then got out and was able to sit in the seat directly behind. First time in my life that's ever happened.

I still need to try Dodge and GM for a good fit though. I've heard nothing but good about the Dodge diesels.

Martin Shupe
11-05-2006, 9:11 PM
I was a loyal Dodge man for many years. That is until the differential on my truck went out. Then five months later the transmission. All the shops I checked with told me I was lucky to get 117,000 miles out of them. Much less with GM models.
My next truck will be a Ford Ranger. I just don't fit the full size Fords. I'm 5'7" and feel like I'm in gigantus world sitting in a full size Ford truck. They are built for you tall guys.

Frank, FWIW, my 1991 Ford Ranger 4x4 Extended Cab has 202,000 miles on it. Replaced the clutch once, but replaced the side mirrors (non-electric) at least 4 times at $150 a pair. The mirrors would be original, except Ford was too cheap to install a set screw to tighten the ball joint that keeps them in place. Eventually, about every 4 years or so, the ball joints in the mirrors wear out and I have to buy new mirrors. Irritates me and I curse the cheap engineer every time I open my wallet. The paint is the cheap silver kind that is also coiming off in large patches. Otherwise, it has been a pretty good truck. Next time, electric mirrors.

Robert Mickley
11-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Well I can honestly say, I'm not buying a new truck. But I will chime in with this much. If your going to work it at all get a standard. Automatics where not made for pulling heavy loads. With the exception of big truck automatics from allison, not the one in the new chevy pickup. Come on its s truck man

Neighbor is a die hard ford fan, nothing wrong with that. Yesterday I saw a new duramax in his driveway, Still need to get the scoop on that one :D

As for backing up a trailer, practice till you don't have to think about it, longer the trailer and the shorter the tow vehicle the easier it gets. One you get that mastered go back up a hay wagon, you turn it the same way you want the wagon to go.

Jason Roehl
11-06-2006, 8:14 AM
...so practice backing up a log splitter with an extended cab longbed truck... :rolleyes: I do believe it is near impossible, definitely so with the tailgate up.

Dan McGuire
11-06-2006, 11:01 AM
I've got an '04 Dodge 2500 4 X 4 with the hemi. I can pass anything except a gas station. Yes, the mileage is not what I would like, but I excepted that fact when I bought it. I would have loved to have the cummins, but could justify the added $5,000 in cost.

As for room, it has plenty. One the criteria when I was in the market was can I get three car seats across the back. All fit just fine. Now as the kids get older, leg room for them may be an issue, but that does not concern me, they are kids. They will not know true happiness until they experience some suffering:)

I love my truck, no other manufacturer was even a consideration for me when I went into the market. Not to say that there aren't other good trucks on the market, because I know there are, however at the time I purchased this truck I was an employee of the company and couldn't pass up the deal nor wanted to bite the hand that fed me so to speak.

I know some others have posted having problems with the trans, and true enough for about 7 or 8 years Chrysler couldn't make a qaulity trans, but in fairness that has changed.

I say look around at what fits you size, budget and what you are going to use it for and buy it. Nothing beats a new truck.