PDA

View Full Version : Bowl and Other Blank Preparation

Christopher K. Hartley
11-03-2006, 4:18 PM
Question: When preparing bowl blanks, I started anchor sealing every exposed surface. Since then I have only been doing the sides that have been rounded. Is this the best practice?
Second, I have also been cutting block blanks for HF's. My thought is to leave only one side surface unsealed. I always seal the end grain. Is this correct or incorrect?:confused:

Mike Vickery
11-03-2006, 4:36 PM
Not sure if it is right or wrong but on normal bowl balnks I will only seal the end grain and overlap it about an inch ( I store mine square). If it is a burls I coat the entire surface.

Frank Kobilsek
11-03-2006, 4:56 PM
Christopher,

Blanks cut round on the bandsaw and not roughed into a bowl within a day or two has brought me bad luck, coated or not. I get best results cutting slabs and leaving them square and a bit longer then wide, then coating end gran and the overlap that Mike talked about.

Hollowform blanks ussually come from the biggest of the above slabs so I treat them no different.

Have a good weekend. Go make some slabs. My chainsaw seems to be lonely I might do the same.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2006, 9:49 PM
Chris I have had good luck when cutting my bowl blanks round and sealing the whole blank. Most that I buy off ebay are like that so figured it can't be to wrong. Also on hollow form material I just do the end and go over the edge maybe a couple of inches. It does work for me and on a rare occasion I get one that cracks but over all I am pleased.