PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright??

Brent Grooms
11-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this system? http://www.carvewright.com

It seems like it could be a great toy and potential moneymaker for a side business. I have a couple of applications for something like this and this is much cheaper than other systems that I have looked into. Albiet, considerably smaller in size and capacity.

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2006, 1:36 PM
I did a SC search for "carvewright" on your behalf, link to many threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=917240

Seems most get one, play with it and move up to a Shopbot or sim.

I'm of the camp that says buy what you intend to grow into, not out of.

Seems to me to be a cool toy though. I'd never get one to augment a serious business. I have a flex shaft dremil and the shaft gets pretty damned hot after only a few minutes. I can imagine the need to replace parts in the cutter power path on a regular basis.

The inability to vacuum mount the workpiece is very troubling also.

Mitch

Lee DeRaud
11-03-2006, 1:36 PM
Do a search on "CarveWright" here...not just the laser/CNC forum, it also got discussed quite a bit on the 'general woodworking' forum. Several Creekers have (or had) them.

Bob Reda
11-03-2006, 1:49 PM
I got one, and I also got a shopbot. Each has its place. Depends on what you want to do with it. I've use it for commerical work. IT does a few things better than the shopbot. The shopbot has more versatility. With the carvewright there is only one software progam you can use. They will be selling the carvewright through Sears pretty soon.

Bob

Charles McKinley
11-06-2006, 1:00 PM
Hi Bob,

Sears? Are you serious?

I was wondering about the carve wright. There was a lot of discussion about them when they first came out then seemed to fall off of the face of the earth.

Thanks for the input,

Bob Reda
11-06-2006, 4:41 PM
Chuck,

It is true that they will be selling through Sears, but you can still buy direct from them if you like.

Bob

Mike Mackenzie
11-06-2006, 5:12 PM
This is listed on the sears web site.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Shapers&pid=00921754000

Joe Pelonio
11-07-2006, 4:01 PM
I got one, and I also got a shopbot. Each has its place. Depends on what you want to do with it. I've use it for commerical work. IT does a few things better than the shopbot. The shopbot has more versatility. With the carvewright there is only one software progam you can use. They will be selling the carvewright through Sears pretty soon.

Bob
Bob,

Can you use the carvewright to cut PVC letters? If so, what's the maximum letter size? Just curious. Most of the time I can talk people into
acrylic and use the laser.

Bob Reda
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Joe,

I've never tried pvc but I can't see why not. Its basically a small version (in a way) of a shopbot. You can't change the speed of the spindle. The max width is 14" and the length is limitless provided you have proper support.

Bob