PDA

View Full Version : 'Windows' in shop

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
After talking myself out of it for a few years now, I've finally decided I'm gonna build a new shop. Yay!

Without going into excruciating detail, it'll be 24 x 52, and I'll hang a 12x28 carport off the side, with the rear 6' or so of that closed in for 'outdoor stuff' storage. I haven't decided yet on whether to have one of the pole barn people do it, or stick build it myself. I'll put a 12' garage door on the side of the shop at the end, and use that for 'emergency' parking of a second vehicle (storms or what not), since that will be my clearance area for the tablesaw/jointer/planer and should stay relatively free of clutter. At the rear 12-14' of the shop I'll frame up two rooms...one for a 'clean' room to spray in, and one for an office/storage (showroom) area. I'll finish off the interior of the office/storage area as I would a living room. Also thinking I'll rough-in plumbing for a simple bathroom and a kitchen sink in the two 'rooms', so in case the house ever burns down we could stay in the shop during rebuilding.

Now after all that, here's my 'windows' question. :o

I don't really need windows, as such. If it's hot enough here to open windows, they don't make any difference. It's still hot. I do think some natural light might be nice... so I'm wondering why a fella wouldn't use maybe 2' of the 'skylight' material they use for metal roofing at the top of the long walls... all the way down the building. Is there a good reason NOT to do that?

KC

Chuck Saunders
11-03-2006, 1:05 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Here is my barn wall.
Chuck

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 1:17 PM
...is that there is a psychological value to having windows, even if you don't need the ventilation and even if there is nothing "nice" to see when you look outside. Windows create a sense of openness and connectedness to the world outside. The only thing that would cause me to omit them would be security concerns of the most extreme variety.

...and no, I don't make or sell windows:D :p

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-03-2006, 1:37 PM
I suspected I wasn't the first to think of it. :D

I understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play. :eek:

KC

Aaron Beaver
11-03-2006, 1:56 PM
One shop I saw had the windows up high which served for natural light as well as people couldn't see inside easily, but at the same time it gave you that open feeling without the distractions of having windows at eye level.

Dan Gill
11-03-2006, 2:21 PM
I suspected I wasn't the first to think of it. :D

I understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play. :eek:

KC

Well, bring them in and let them play in the shop!:D

My big retriever doesn't like to be in the shop with me. It might have something to do with the clamp I knocked off the bench onto his head.

John Bush
11-03-2006, 3:04 PM
I used a lot of windows for architectural/design reasons and found that the natural light is really nice, but I don't have wall space to hang cabinets. I have two 4'x4' skylights that provide wonderful natural light, that only occasionally, at the right azimuth, blind me with sunlight reflecting off the TS. Good luck, JCB.

patrick anderson
11-03-2006, 3:18 PM
You could have a look at some ribbed polycarbonate sheeting like Polygal or similar. As long as you fix it to your studs using tamper proof screws you should be in good shape.

Polygal has good imsulation properties as well.

Nancy Laird
11-03-2006, 3:21 PM
Kirk, having natural light coming into your shop, particularly into your finishing area, will help when you are finishing products. If you are on 24" centers on your trusses/rafters, you can tuck some 2x4' skylights across the shop and in the finishing room--gives that sense of openness without distracting you from the puppies!

Nancy

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 3:45 PM
I'd be "lost" without natural light in my shop. Given I didn't build it, I do lack some wall space as a result. If I were building, I'd still have windows with many of them up higher on the wall and a few at normal height for the view...

Oh, to maximize space utilization when you do open the "big door", consider a roll-up rather than something overhead. Or a sliding "barn" door type arrangement that provides similar zero-space consumption.

Gil Mitchell
11-03-2006, 5:40 PM
K C I have a shop about the same size 22wx60Lx11T and no windows. Every time I go in there I wish I had windows. I would put the windows toward the top of the wall so you still have the wall space,storage cabinets,lumber racks ect. scrap the carport and make your shop 12' wider, you'll wish you did in a couple years.

Steve Jenkins
11-03-2006, 6:12 PM
K.C. I put 4 skylites in my new shop. It's 40x70. I seldom turn the lights on which is just as well since I haven't had time to put up very many. The downside is that in the summer when I walk under the skylites I can feel the difference in temp. I wouldn't be without them though.

Frank Fusco
11-03-2006, 6:30 PM
My shop is part of a walk-out basement. I'm essentially underground. When I'm working it doesn't [seem to] bother me. But I do find myself taking a break and walking around the yard every now and then. The one end is a one-car garage door. In nice weather (and we have a lot of that in Arkansas) I'll open it. That's nice, fresh air and a partial sense of openess. Guess, I'm saying, it's yer choice mate.

Art Mulder
11-03-2006, 6:57 PM
I understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play.

KC, if you have windows and you don't want the distraction, you can always close curtains or blinds or whatnot.

If you don't have windows, you've lost the choice to look outside.
It's a rather permanent decision.

I've got a basement shop, fully buried basement, one tiny window in a well. Boy, I wish I had windows so I could look outside every now and then.

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 8:02 PM
II understand the psychological thing...that's why I don't really want them. Nowadays when I'm in the shop, I'm working. If I can see outside, I'll see the puppies sitting at the fence... and I'll wanna go play.

That's why putting them high on the wall will get you some light without, um...being as distracting.

lou sansone
11-03-2006, 10:07 PM
all the old mills in new england had windows for light and I think the psychological effect. my vote is for windows
lou

Robert E Lee
11-04-2006, 3:00 AM
The first shop had windows on the east and west sides. There was a couple of hours in the morning the sun was in my face and a couple of hours in the afternoon it was bad while working at the bench. When I had this shop build I have it like Chucks and like it a lot better. The big doors face north and I have them open most of the time when it is warm. Don’t miss looking into the sun while running a saw. It takes a few more light fixtures without the windows. Good luck on your new shop.
Bob

Joe Mioux
11-04-2006, 5:37 AM
KC:

Try orienting any windows on the North side of the building.

The light will be consistent and heat gain will be minimized.

Joe

Kelly C. Hanna
11-04-2006, 10:27 AM
I saw a metal roofed barn in East Texas that had some of the wavy plastic panels you see at Home Depot that they used for skylights...very cool idea. Don't see why you couldn't use them in the walls.

Another idea I saw in a magazine was one lite patio doors used for windows [mounted horizontally].

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2006, 10:34 AM
KC..........I bought one of the workshop manuals from Taunton press. The one shop that caught my eye....the guy put windows up high on the walls. It let's in natural light and yet it obstructs your vision so you don't see the dogs. He put in a lot of windows up high. Good luck with you decision!

Frank Fusco
11-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I had those transparent/translucent corrugated panels on a shed roof once. They sun rotted very quickly and became useless. Unless there are better on the market these days, I wouldn't even consider them. As for security on the walls, a child could break through with their hands, at least with the ones I had.

Andy Hoyt
11-04-2006, 1:10 PM
Adding windows gets my vote. If there's a building permit involved with this project your inspector will likely vote for them too. Light and ventilation are key aspects to consider.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-04-2006, 2:32 PM
Yeah, direct sunlight still cooks those panels. The one I saw was in the trees and protected from the sun most of the day.

Chuck Saunders
11-04-2006, 6:42 PM
That was one of my concerns as well Frank. That was why I didn't place the panels on the roof. The way they are, they are under a 2' overhang and the bottom of the panel is at 11'. This should prevent the heat gain in the summer but still allow plenty of light. Hopefully the UV damage will also be diminished.
Chuck