PDA

View Full Version : Ramone burl mini HF

Travis Stinson
11-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I got this small chunk of Ramone burl off eBay. It was cut in a funky triangle shape, so I had fun getting it mounted. It was still pretty wet, even though it appeared dry, so it got an alky bath to take care of that. 4 1/2" diameter by 3 1/2" tall with Ebony collar. Buffed Seal-a-cell finish.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS345.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS345a.jpg

Dennis Peacock
11-03-2006, 10:43 AM
I guess I need to just put my tools away and take some more lessons.

Very pretty Travis. :D

Mike Weaver
11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Travis,
That's excellent!

Is the Ebony collar just a press fit, or it is glued in?

Thanks for sharing.

-Mike
PS Dennis, I'm with you there....but you're way ahead of me WRT to works made.

Dario Octaviano
11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
That looks really great.

One thing though. That looks more like Ramone burl and doesn't look like Chechen at all.

Paul Engle
11-03-2006, 11:04 AM
To do all this ???? The burl is... no we have come to expect this kind of work from you , I know ,the better you get the faster you are ....excellent work Travis. Like Dennis said , I'll just put em away and take some ( a bunch) of lessons.....:D :D , or go back to flat work....:eek: or maybe take up crocheting or knitting or ......:eek: :eek:

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Cool piece of wood and great form! Do you buy a lot from EBAY? I find it so hard to buy from a picture even though I did it once and was pretty satisfied. The really hard part was explaining the purchase to my wife when the credit card statement came in! LOL!

Travis Stinson
11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Did I type Chechen? Doh! I coulda sworn I said Ramone!:o
The sun was in my eyes.............not enough coffee.........bad case of CRS. (I had to go back and check the listing ;) ) Good eye Dario.:D

Mike, the collar is glued in.

Mark Cothren
11-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Very nice little HF there, Travis! You need to start doing some "before/after" pics and show us these pieces before you start on 'em...;)

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-03-2006, 11:29 AM
or go back to flat work....:eek: or maybe take up crocheting or knitting or ......:eek: :eek:

Rosie Greer was a Knitter!!!:D The stuff that Travis has been putting out there doesn't look like it should be coming from a guy who's signature is what it is! Unless of course he's talking about a Lamborghini! I'm picking his garage might look a little like mine!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/rubberhook/Picture132.jpg

My 3 favorite things in order on importance from left to right! Pretend the DC isn't there! LOL!

Keith Burns
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Another great one Travis !!!! :) :) I think I have to agree with Dennis and go back to turning school:D

jeremy levine
11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Travis didn't you just win a contest on another site ? One show stopper after another

Mark Cothren
11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
That's close, Kurt... now just set that pile of shavings on fire and you'll be just like Travis...:D :o

Travis Stinson
11-03-2006, 1:38 PM
A Lamborghini!!!??? HA! Actually Kurt, that's from another passion of mine from a few years back. Too old for it now, turning's easier on the bones and joints.;) A shot of the room attached to my shop.:D

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 1:43 PM
Another excellent piece Travis. Have not tried Seal a cell finish yet, I'll have to check it out. Very nicely done.

Jonathon Spafford
11-03-2006, 1:51 PM
That is a really beautiful piece... you are like the ultimate HF master!!! Wish I could do those... gonna have to take a stab at it one of these days. Do you use a laser system for hollowing or just old fashioned calipers?

Frank Kobilsek
11-03-2006, 2:05 PM
Travis
You said the collar is glued 'in'. Others in other threads have talked about a 'Collar joint' and I saw that term in a book of Woodtunring Shapes and Materials last night. What is a collar joint? I am assuming it is as simple as a tenon with a shoulder on the collar material that is glued into a closely fitting opening at the top of a HF. If I am correct can the collar material be from flat stock or must it be in spindle orientation to keep the expansion contraction going the same direction? Just wondering.

Very nice piece. Thanks for posting.

Frank

Mark Cothren
11-03-2006, 3:26 PM
Hey Frank - I'll take the liberty of answering for Travis... check out his tutorial here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40091&highlight=collar

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2006, 3:41 PM
I went to high school with a guy named Ramone Chechen; and he looked nothing like this. His loss.

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 3:55 PM
Hey Frank - I'll take the liberty of answering for Travis... check out his tutorial here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40091&highlight=collar
That's an excellent tutorial. Shouldn't it be moved (or copied) to the WWing Articles section? Just wondering.

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2006, 4:01 PM
That's an excellent tutorial. Shouldn't it be moved (or copied) to the WWing Articles section? Just wondering.
That's a great idea; and I'd be happy to do so once Travis replaces the photobucket-linked pics with ones uploaded to the SMC server.

Whatddya say, Trav?

EDIT: The collar thread has been moved.

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 4:02 PM
Fabulous, Travis!

Frank Kobilsek
11-03-2006, 5:04 PM
Thanks Mark and Travis, second hand.

I tried that but glued it in first then turned the outside on the collar. Made a mess of both HF & collar, burned the evidence.

Making it as two parts makes sense now that I saw it. Thanks

Everybody have a dusty weekend.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2006, 9:53 PM
Travis that is a another beautiful piece. Dang that is purdy. Of course I got the order of importance in the shop pix with the lathe. The moxie cooler, boom box and lathe!!!! Correct!:confused: :D :p