PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Hinges

John Powers
11-03-2006, 10:36 AM
This is a really basic kitchen cabinet rehab question. So basic I'm glad I'm typing and not looking you in the eye. I have old wooden cabinets from 1962. The doors have an inset into the frame of about 1/2 inch. I want to run a nice frame around the doors and i can handle the wood part but I want the doors to completely cover the cabinets and the hinge sides of the doors to butt against each other. What kind of hinge do I use to allow the doors to swing? thanks

Jamie Buxton
11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. I think you now have what is called an overlay door. They were common back then. The back of the door fits inside the opening, but the front of the door overlays the face frame, typically by 3/8". And I think you're planning to build new wider doors, or maybe add material on to the existing doors to make them wider. That will allow the doors to butt together. If my understanding is correct, you should be able to use cup hinges designed for overlay doors. Specifically Blum Compact 33, with the Face Mount mounting plates. The face-mount mounting plates mean that you can have any overlay you want -- particularly an overlay which is half the width of your face frame material.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Hinges/CatID/Cabinet%20Hinges%2C%20Blum%26%23174%3B%20Concealed/SubCatID/110%26%230176%3B%20Compact%2033

Bill White
11-03-2006, 2:02 PM
Gotta remember that if you don't have solid wood face frames the euro (cup) hinges won't work.
Bill

John Powers
11-03-2006, 3:01 PM
Jamie, that's he configuration. I plan to slice off the round over and frame the doors going for some country or mission look. I'll buy the hinges and give them a try. thanks. The doors are solid. I think the old metal plate said Brichcraft or Beechcraft. I appreciate the help.