PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay? Radial DP

Matt Day
11-03-2006, 9:01 AM
Good morning,

I've got a line on an early '70's Rockwell Radial Drill Press, model 11-280, benchtop model. I've been wanting/needing a drill press for a while, and have almost decided on a cheap floor standing Delta or Hitachi from Lowes. But after coming across this old Rockwell I'm not sure now. From what I've read, the old Rockwells are the only Radials to consider and this one is relatively local. Should I even consider a radial benchtop vs a new floor standing model (a cheap one mind you; sub $250)?

It's in good condition and located at an antiques store, and the guy is asking $250 for it. I was thinking more like $200. What do you all think?

I'm not sure what type of motor is on it.

Mike Weaver
11-03-2006, 9:20 AM
Matt,

In a word, YES, worth considering, even for $250, IMHO. But, as always, the shop may take less. I'd offer $175 and see what happens. If it's been there fo a while, he/she may just want to get it moved...

I strongly suspect the quill travel would be greater on the Rockwell than anything new anywhere near that price range.

The only thing is that it *may* be 3-phase, but a motor can usually be switched easily enough on a DP.

Hope that helps,
-Mike

Rob Russell
11-03-2006, 9:15 PM
Beware that there were 2 different radial DP's made by Rockwell - a lightweight tabletop version and a much heavier duty version.

This SMC thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22620) shows the heavy duty, desirable one. I got it for around $500.

Rob

Matt Day
11-05-2006, 1:30 PM
This is the light weight table top version for sure. Does anyone know the quill travel on it? Is this one still favored over new floor standing models in the $200-$250 range?