PDA

View Full Version : A pile of Walnut!

jonathan snyder
11-03-2006, 1:37 AM
Hi Folks,

I don’t know if this is a good deal for you folks in the lower 48, but its a smoking deal here in the great state of Alaska. I picked up 100 bf of walnut for $2.50 a bf. Its kiln dried, not air dried, but I sure like walnut. It is a full 5/4, but the seller calculated board footage as it it were 4/4 stock! I sure wish I had more cash at hand, because the guy's wife sure wanted it out of the garage!

I am forced to store it outside, as my shop is only a one car garage. I plan to put it up on brackets on the side of my storage shed, and cover it with a tarp to keep the snow off it. Do you folks think this will pose a problem?

And to satisfy the picture police

Jonathan

Philip Duffy
11-03-2006, 4:48 AM
Lucky dude! Keeping the snow off should keep the walnut in fine shape.

Hans Braul
11-03-2006, 7:12 AM
Just be sure to sticker the boards to prevent warping. It will take some time (a few weeks?) when you move the wood into your shop for it to stabilize.

Great buy!
Hans

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 9:00 AM
Keeping the snow off the top is what you want, but don't limit air-flow otherwise.

Ted Calver
11-03-2006, 12:43 PM
I'd put a piece of plywood under the tarp and block it up on one edge so it would shed water/snow, then I'd go back and get the rest of the wood come next paycheck!

jonathan snyder
11-03-2006, 2:53 PM
Thanks

Is it necesssary to sticker it, as it is already dry? I plan to put plywood under the tarp to shed the snow.

Ted, I would love to go back for the rest, but my paycheck is not big enough. The guy has 1100 BF!!

Jonathan

Chip Charnley
11-03-2006, 4:05 PM
Thanks

Is it necesssary to sticker it, as it is already dry? I plan to put plywood under the tarp to shed the snow.

Ted, I would love to go back for the rest, but my paycheck is not big enough. The guy has 1100 BF!!

Jonathan

Given that you are storing it outside where it's going to pick up moisture content from what the kiln took it down to, I would sticker it just to insure that it picked up the moisture in an even fashion just like, when you take it inside to equalize it before actually working the wood, I would sticker it to 'dry' it back out in an equalized fashion. That said, walnut is one of the more forgiving woods if memory servers so you can probably get away without doing any stickering. I'd just do it for the safety factor.

Barry Stratton
11-04-2006, 1:49 AM
That is a MAJOR SCORE!!!! Great gloat jonathan!

Tom Sontag
11-04-2006, 3:38 AM
Frankly I would not bother stickering already dry wood. If you keep the weather and sun off of it and plan on acclimating it indoors before use*, what's the point? As mentioned, walnut is one of the most forgiving woods and will store as you describe just fine without stickers.

*Of course you use stickers once you bring it in to acclimate to the shop environment. And if a couple boards from the outside of the stack are slightly different than the inside of the stack, the difference will disappear in a hurry once in the shop. Enjoy the haul.