PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Advice

Gregg Feldstone
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Hello,

Has anyone heard about or used the carbide impregnated blades from supercutbandsaw? I'm thinking of trying these instead of the Timberwolf blades for narrower (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) widths. They sound very interesting. Their website is supercutbandsaw.com. They did not recommend their resaw blade to me (also carbide impregnated but very thin kerf) because it will not last as long as a carbon steel blade and should only be used on expensive hardwoods by very experienced woodworkers. Seems like they are pretty honest when a company actually tells you NOT to buy one of their products.
I don't want to spend $170 yet on a carbide tipped blade for resawing.
What do yall think of the Woodslicer blades from Highland Hardware?

Mark Singer
11-02-2006, 10:21 PM
The Lenox Bimetal is a good choice in a less expensive blade... about 1/4 the cost of a Trimaster

Gregg Feldstone
11-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Mark,
I'm glad you replied because you have the same saw (Agazzani B-20) that I'm buying. Firstly, these "carbide impregnated" blades cost only $20-$22 for 161" blades. Secondly, the guy at Supercut Bandsaw told me that bi-metal blades should not generally be used on woodcutting bandsaws because they require much more tension and can actually damage the frame or wheels if tensioned properly. He said they are better used for metalwork. I was ready to get bimetals but am now even more confused.
The teeth are "impregnated" with carbide particles not "carbide tipped".
What do you think???

Mark Singer
11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Gregg,
I have had a number of bandsaws and blades and I use them! I went through a lot of blades and a lot of expense until I started using the trimaster. If you are buying that quality of bandsaw....I think the Trimaster is the way to go. It will really prove to be cheap because it will easily out last 20 timberwolfs at over $30 each. If you do the math that is $600. Second it is so well balanced there is no lead or pull....straight and clean is what you get. I have 2 Trimasters...one I had re welded because I didn't untension it... Now I untension each time and hit the safety button so I don't turn it on by accident. I have a few steel resaw blades and have tried them....ohhhh! night and day! The weld creates vibration....it is like a different saw. If you want the most from the saw, get the Trimaster. Now Maloof has the bigger Aggazani and he runs a less expensive steel blade...about 1/2" wide. I asked him what it was and he didn't know....typical Sam! He can use anything to its potential , but has no idea what it is.:confused: Keep in mind he is not typically resawing....he is sculpting curves with great skill and the blade he is using is better for that .

John McArthur
08-31-2007, 7:17 PM
Over the years I have used many types of bandsaw blades for my 14" saw. Recently, I have been experimenting with various bandsaw blades. I just received a 3/8" Supercut bandsaw blade, 4tpi hook. The first thing after unwrapping it I wanted to check out the weld, but I could not find it. Finally I found a section where I think it is welded, but the weld is virtually perfect, and the blade remains perfectly aligned. The blade is supple and quiet on my 14" saw. It is extremely sharp as advertised, and cuts very smoothly and leaves a great finish. If it last well due to the carbide impregnated teeth, I think it is a fantastic buy. Just wanted to pass this along in this old thread that asked specifically about Supercut, as great blades for 14" saws are not so easy to come by, and I am so glad I gave this a chance.

Bill Reed
08-31-2007, 8:06 PM
I'm looking for a good place to buy bandsaw blades for a brand new MM16. Any recommendations?

Pete Bradley
08-31-2007, 8:49 PM
Gregg,
...one I had re welded because I didn't untension it...

I'm curious -- what leads you to believe that not detensioning was the cause of the break? In general steel doesn't act like rubber or silly putty or play-doh. It can carry steady tension for years without change.

Pete

John McArthur
08-31-2007, 10:42 PM
"I'm looking for a good place to buy bandsaw blades for a brand new MM16. Any recommendations?"

I got my Supercut blades at supercutbandsaw.com. Mine are the Premium Gold series. I have compared them to Lenox Dimaster II and Woodslicer. They run much smoother on the tires on my 14" saw than the Lenox, and the cut is much, much smoother. I found the cut almost identical to the Woodslicer. The Premium Gold has carbide impregnated teeth, so hopefully will last longer than the Woodslicer. I really like the Woodslicer, but I have not had great blade life with it, so I like to reserve it for special needs. The Lenox bimetal blade (.025") has great staying power, but for my money it runs hard on my small saw, and doesn't feel truly sharp to begin with. I find the Lenox .035" thicknes blades much too thick for 14" wheels.