PDA

View Full Version : VersaLaser won't fire

Dave Chase
11-02-2006, 8:04 PM
Hi all,

Just recieved my Versalaser through Fed Ex. It powers up fine, moves, and the red dot pointer works fine. The laser won't engrave though. I tried to run the sample dogtag that ULS includes and I can't seem to make it work. I followed the manual to the word. Is there anything that typically has to be done post shipment such as a calibration or something?

Frank Corker
11-02-2006, 8:27 PM
Dave, not sure what the procedure is for you guys, but when I had my Epilog laser delivered one of their reps came out and did all the calibrations. Are you checking the blatantly obvious things such as the door lid being locked when you are engraving? Anything visibly dropped in front of the beam maybe, such as packaging?

Dave Chase
11-02-2006, 8:42 PM
Hi Frank,

The door interlocks are working. I checked and re-checked around the lenses and there are no obstructions. This unit was a demo unit that I purchased from a ULS dealer in California so it's been calibrated. I'll have to contact ULS tomorrow and see what they say...

Lee DeRaud
11-02-2006, 9:11 PM
If it's the door interlock, you'll see the red pointer stay on as the laser moves. If that's not it...

In Corel, make sure you're using the palette supplied by ULS: just because a line looks "red" on the screen doesn't mean it's the RGB value the laser driver is looking for to tell it to cut. Ditto for black.

Mike Null
11-03-2006, 6:41 AM
Sorry to mention such obvious checks but oversights do occur.

Have you connected your printer cables?
Have you selected the laser as your default printer?
Have you sent the job to the laser as a "print" job?
Do you have the right port selected?

Dave Chase
11-03-2006, 8:27 AM
Hi Guys,

I checked all of the obvious items and they are all in check. The machine runs fine and it's attempting to engrave in the right area. I ran the job with the dorr open and the red dot pointer confirms that I'm over the workpiece. The pointer does shut off when the door closes so the interlocks are working. I'm pretty certain that I'm using the correct pallette in Corel. Like I said, I followed the setup instructions to the T. I just can't get the little gremlin inside there to turn the laser tube on.:confused:

Mike Mackenzie
11-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Dave,

first off where are you? Are you sure that you are focused properly? switch to manual focus and use the tool just to be sure. Which dealer did you get it from? If you are close to So Cal. you can contact us directly or even bring it to us we will get it figured out.

You can also check to see if the laser tube came loose during shipping.

Let me know

Dave Chase
11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Mike, I've sent you a PM.

James MacNab
06-17-2007, 7:53 PM
Hi Dave,
I bought a machine from Australa and am having the same trouble, but I think I found the problyn. I sent the control board back to China to the factory who made it and they told me the control board had a crack in it. This is just a guess. Good luck
Jim

Scott Shepherd
06-17-2007, 8:31 PM
...or possibly if you're trying to just engrave a sample dog tag that the tube doesn't get the chance to warm up and begin firing.

Can you verify that doing something much larger yields the same results?

Just a guess. It can take a bit for the laser to come on once it's sat for a few days. The dogtag might go so quickly that it doesn't have time to warm up and fire (not sure the technical term for that).

Give it a good couple minute job and try it with 100% power.

I swapped out a tube recently and the brand new tube wouldn't fire. I checked all connections, checked everything. Nothing. Then I finally put a larger file in and ran the power up to 100% and about 2 minutes later, presto, it started to fire. After that, it worked fine.

Nancy Laird
06-17-2007, 9:03 PM
Just FYI, we have TWO ULS machines and never, not once, has the tube failed to fire right away after having sat for as long as 10-14 days. I've heard and read that the Epilog tubes have to "warm up", but our ULS machines sure don't have that problem.

Nancy

Larry Bratton
06-17-2007, 9:57 PM
Nancy:
Epilog fixed that with the last firmware version. At least for the one's it applied to, my EXT being one of them.

Ruben Salcedo
06-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Have you check if one of the magnets in the lid didn't come out?

there is two little magnets in the lip of the lid this is how it sense if the lid are close or open. good luck

Ruben

Note: I just notice that this thread is old, so my post is not doing any good I guess