PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Dust Collection?

Aaron Beaver
11-02-2006, 7:37 PM
I know there is probably nothing that is great, but I have a DC drop directly behind my drill press. Right now the drop is down about 1/4-1/2 from the top of the drill press and that is where the blast gate is.

What would be your suggestions for doing something after the blast gate? Run some hose to a dust hood to the floor, run some hose to a dust hood & some how mounted higher on the drill press, just looking for suggestions to get whatever I can.

Thanks

Al Killian
11-02-2006, 8:00 PM
I seen some where that they built a square box to set they DP table on and used a peice of peg boardto allow the dust and shaveings to get sucked dowm thru. The peg board had a few holes in larged to keep it from pluging up. Then you just connect what ever size hose to the box and it will collect most of the dust. I you wanted to you could make a smaal dust hood between the column and the bit to collect whatever the table doesnt get. Just my 2cents

Jack Tanner
11-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I was having the same problem, but for the time being I built a dp table and just layed my 6" flex hose on the table next to my work and it does a pretty good job, but I,m looking for a better way, maybe just add a dust hood to that

Aaron Beaver
11-03-2006, 7:04 AM
I have been thinking about adding magnets to a dust hood and attach it to the drill press column so I could move it up and down as the table moves.

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 9:03 AM
This is actually one of those times when a commercial product has a nice advantage...there is a flexible product, blue if I recall, that holds its shape and orientation where you point it. It's perfect for DP chip collection as you can direct the point source to the most appropriate place while cutting. Most of the typical woodworking retailers, online or brick-and-mortar, carried it when I last saw it. It had "Loc" in the name if my memory isn't failing me...

Kyle Kraft
11-03-2006, 9:13 AM
Loc-Line. They started out making flexible coolant lines for machine tools and expanded into mongonny sizes for dust collection. The company has been around for decades and makes good stuff.

P.S. No I don't make, sell or otherwise have any ties to Loc-Line:) just an end user.

Steven Wilson
11-03-2006, 11:05 AM
This has been discussed before http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=40771&postcount=3 . I've since upgrade the DC and ran 4" DC hose up to the back of the drill press and then step it down to the LocLine connection.

Aaron Beaver
11-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I will have to see if my local Woodcraft sells that Loc-Line stuff. I have a 5" drop so I will just get some adapters to get down to the smaller hose size needed.

Dan Lee
11-03-2006, 12:04 PM
I also use Locline. Works OK
Dan

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
AH...Loc-Line. Close on the name, I was! The reason I brought up this type of facilitation is that it's easy to position and re-position...something necessary for collection in this type of situation.

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I took a cheap $20 tripod that I got from Sears, and attached a 2" hose to it. I put a "crevice" vacuum attachment on it. The tripod allows me to orient the hose exactly where I want it. To attach the hose, I took a nut the same threading as the tripod screw and epoxied it to a piece of scrap wood. I attach the hose to the block with a velcro strap.

Cheap redneck engineering to be sure, but it accomplishes the task.:p

Paul Kinneberg
11-03-2006, 2:31 PM
Aaron here are some pictures of my current project which is a new DP Table and dust collection. Hopefully I can finish it up this weekend.

Aaron Beaver
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know where I might find the Loc-Line stuff? The Woodcraft here no longer sells it, any other stores maybe not wood ones that might sell it?

Steven Wilson
11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
MSC Direct page 2656, you might also try McMaster-Carr