PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed Table - Combo with downdraft

Ken Baker
11-02-2006, 6:58 PM
I am getting ready to build an outfeed table for my Unisaw - based on Jim Becker's design of course.

Mine will be a fixed 18" extension - haven't decided to just route a dado for the miter tracks or go the really nice T Slot like Allan Johanson did -
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17660

It will run the whole width of my saw - 8 Ft - the hinged part will be 30".

I came up with an idea and wanted to see if anyone sees a problem with it. On the 30" x 96" hinged piece I was originally going to build a frame out of 2 1/2" oak and then put a piece of 3/4 melamine inside the frame - so the oak shows instaed of the edge of the 3/4" Melamine.

What if I instead built the 2 1/2" oak frame and then built a 3/4 lip on the inside. Split the 30" x 96" into two halves - not literally - but on the 1/2 behind the blade I go ahead and attach 3/4 melamine into the frame, but on the other half I would have a 1/4" pegboard material and on top of that a removable 1/2 melamine. I would then enclose the bottom of 1/2 of the frame, attach a 6" duct port, and voila I have a 30" x 48" Sanding Downdraft table when I need it or a 48" x 96" smooth top Outfeed table/work table when I'm not needing to sand.

Think it'll work?

I plan to build out the part on the left side of the saw with a router table - I got the extended Biesemeyer so I have space to the left of the cast iron table.

As soon as I can find a decent program to make a drawing I'll post a plan - and of course contruction photos and a finished product write up.

Paul Comi
11-02-2006, 9:30 PM
My outfeed is a combo downdraft sanding station plus it has a fold down extension for a total outfeed of around 7 ft. Without the extension flipped up, its about 4 ft x 4ft and is basically the same width as the cast iron width of my unisaw.

I find that there's no advantage to having the 8 ft long overall width to an outfeed. When you need outfeed is when you're ripping plywood. Crosscutting it, I can support it adequately with the 4 ft wide one I have.

This pic taken a long time ago is when I had flip up extensions on both the front and side of the thing, but I found the side one was not needed.

http://img43.exs.cx/img43/7251/crossflippedup.jpg