PDA

View Full Version : Gotta get out of NJ - TN bound...?

Mitchell Andrus
11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Looking on the 'net for acreage and maybe a house with a bathroom and kitchen or something (does the shop come with a house?) My youngest has 2 years H.S. left, then I'm outta here. I want to go where I can make a left hand turn. Gotta go before I loose my sense of humor.

Perhaps 5 to 25 acres, 3 bed, 2 bath l'il farmhouse, a 20 x 40 foot outbuilding or space for one. No neighbors, long driveway, view perhaps.

Chattanooga area.

Patience....

Mitch

Nancy Laird
11-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Looking on the 'net for acreage and maybe a house with a bathroom and kitchen or something (does the shop come with a house?) My youngest has 2 years H.S. left, then I'm outta here. I want to go where I can make a left hand turn. Gotta go before I loose my sense of humor.

Perhaps 5 to 25 acres, 3 bed, 2 bath l'il farmhouse, a 20 x 40 foot outbuilding or space for one. No neighbors, long driveway, view perhaps.

Chattanooga area.

Patience....

Mitch

Mitch, your best bet for acreage with a view and no neighbors nearby is in New Mexico. Don't write us off until you've checked us out.

Are you telling us that you don't like 8 million of your closest friends living in your backyard??? (To quote Vaughn).

Nancy

Mitchell Andrus
11-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Nance,

NM is a little TOO far, I have family in SC, MY, NJ. I really like all of the people that I know and have fun with, it's the other 7,999,940 that I don't want to stumble over on the way to buying groceries that annoy me.

I've been told you need to bring you're job with you when yoou 'go down south' - mine's portable.

Mitch

Joe Pelonio
11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Mitch,

try www.realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com) and enter the advanced seach parameters.

Art Mulder
11-02-2006, 1:14 PM
Nance,

NM is a little TOO far, I have family in SC, MY, NJ.

Mitch, that's Five minutes of my life you cost me, poking through google trying to figure out what in the heck is the state of "MY".

I know I'm just an ignorant Canuck, but I really thought I would recognize all the state shortforms... but I was doubting myself.

...art

ps: No neighbours? good luck, there's always neighbours. The thing you want are good neighbours. Wish I had more of them myself. :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
11-02-2006, 1:23 PM
Mitch, if you are really serious about moving to Tennessee, let me suggest that you avoid Chattanooga like the plague. It's at the intersection of two major interstates, both on the way to Atlanta, and the congestion there is horrendous. (FYI, I'm a Tennessee girl, bred, born, and reared.) If you are serious about wanting views, few neighbors, and acreage, check out Middle Tennessee, east of Nashville, around Cookeville, Crossville, and down in the Tennessee Walking Horse Country. You'll fine acreage and some of the most beautiful country you will ever want to see. It's close enough to Nashville for day trips, yet far enough away to satisfy your need for seclusion/privacy/hermit-itis(?).

Nancy

Mitchell Andrus
11-02-2006, 1:51 PM
Oops,... NY.

Mitchell Andrus
11-02-2006, 1:52 PM
That's just the kind of feedback I needed. Thanks.

Mitch

Mitchell Andrus
11-02-2006, 1:56 PM
Yep, Joe. Been to most all of them. Some good, some bad, some very outdated. Except for a 'scale of magnitude', some of these sites are awful. The problem with most is that there isn't enough traffic in the 'sticks' to support a decent realtor's office.

Mitch

Frank Fusco
11-02-2006, 1:57 PM
Can't blame ye for wanting to leave NJ. Tennessee is a good choice. Why, it is almost as nice as Arkansas. ;)

Phyllis Meyer
11-02-2006, 3:11 PM
It's 26 for a high today, snow flurries in the air, we will have snow until about May. The Packers won again on Sunday, what more could you ask for?:) We really do like it here, my husband actually is a County Highway Worker (plows all that snow every morning at 3:00 A.M.)!! We ski, snowboard (ok, the kids do that), and the guys in my husband's hunting party love to see a snowfall right before deer season.

Have a great day, Phyllis (Originally from Chicago)

Nancy Laird
11-02-2006, 4:50 PM
Can't blame ye for wanting to leave NJ. Tennessee is a good choice. Why, it is almost as nice as Arkansas. ;)

NICER, Frank, NICER!! Tennessee has better roads and higher mountains, but I think the hillbilly count is just about even. :D

Frank Fusco
11-02-2006, 4:51 PM
It's 26 for a high today, snow flurries in the air, we will have snow until about May. The Packers won again on Sunday, what more could you ask for?:) We really do like it here, my husband actually is a County Highway Worker (plows all that snow every morning at 3:00 A.M.)!! We ski, snowboard (ok, the kids do that), and the guys in my husband's hunting party love to see a snowfall right before deer season.

Have a great day, Phyllis (Originally from Chicago)

It was cool here last night. Saw a bunch of turkeys in the yard when I got up. Temp is in 60's now. Typical winter day for ARKANSAS. :)

George Morris
11-02-2006, 5:10 PM
How about PA much better then the communist state of NJ. We have a house in Tioga Co. 11 acres boarders state forest on 4 sides nice and quite. Right now it takes 4 hr to drive from Philly. Retire there in 4 years.

Rennie Heuer
11-02-2006, 5:18 PM
Mitchell,

You're a man after my own heart. I was born 'n raised between exits 129 and 88. Couldn't wait to leave. Once the kids were out of school I headed west. Never looked back, no regrets.

Good luck!

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2006, 8:23 AM
I've had it with SNOW. 49 years of SNOW. It may be a bit hotter in the south, but you don't have to shovel it.

Mitch

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2006, 8:35 AM
My wife and I are in a very comfortable spot in our lives. We both work hard and make plenty of money. The kid's college costs and house downpayments are set aside. A few smart real estate investments 30 years ago will make social security a fringe benefit, not a necessity.

I can't imagine NOT working (tried retiring early, couldn't get the hang of it), so I do. BUT - I get so fed up with everyday hassles that - I swear - I want to go live in a box in the woods.

As long as I can watch Studio 60 on Monday nights and make sawdust most other waking hours, I'll be happy! A nice view from the deck and the ability to walk to a stream without leaving my own property would be nice too.

Our youngest leaves HS in 2009.

Mitch

Dennis Peacock
11-03-2006, 8:36 AM
Mitch,

You don't want Chatty-Noogy....My grandmother used to live there and we would visit her from time to time. Busy place and too much traffic. I was raised and lived most of my life in Alabama and I have friends in TN. If you like the hills, friendly folk, far away neighbors? Then TN is a very good choice.

BTW, we had a pretty bad snow here last year. Musta got almost 1/2". :D

jeremy levine
11-03-2006, 9:23 AM
It was cool here last night. Saw a bunch of turkeys in the yard when I got up. Temp is in 60's now. Typical winter day for ARKANSAS. :)

What's up with the Turkeys ? Don't they know your armed and Thanksgiving is only around the corner ?

Frank Fusco
11-03-2006, 9:34 AM
What's up with the Turkeys ? Don't they know your armed and Thanksgiving is only around the corner ?

SHhhhhhh..... :rolleyes:

Sparky Paessler
11-03-2006, 9:39 AM
Mitch

You might want to look around the upper East Tennessee area. Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol, Elizabethton. Great views, Good trout fishing streams, lots of sources of inexpensive wood, a local Woodcraft and the weather is really nice. Not as hot as Arkansas in the summer and almost no snow in the winter! Also good access to health care with a local med school. Western North Caroline is also excellent. Boone, Banner Elk, ...

Sparky

Steven Wilson
11-03-2006, 10:58 AM
The Cookville, Crossville area in Tennessee is inexpensive if you're looking for land. I would strongly suggest that you wait until your kids have finished school before relocating down there. My folk's retired there and I had looked at moving there when I left Saudi but there was no way I would put my kids in the local school system.

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Sparkster - I've been through Johnson City every year for the past 8. From NJ... 81 south, 19 and 23 south to Asheville, NC. Pass the Bristol Speedway and all.

I agree, great area - a mile off the highway and you're in the sticks. Actually, some of the area is literally "The Land that Time Forgot". Major home improvements include getting the wheels out from under the living room, and hauling the other pickup off the lawn. <Kidding - a little>

Great people, good food, clean air, just enough culture. Eastern TN is wonderful - and you've got Fort Knox.

The local theater has sound, right???

Mitch

Sparky Paessler
11-03-2006, 2:33 PM
Mitch

Hey not only do they have sound but the local 16 screen theater has digital surround sound.:eek: Know what you mean about the wheels under the livingroom but there are a whole lot of 300k-500k homes going up in the area for people moving here from the northeast. The area has grown tremendously since I moved up here 25 years ago from Memphis. Almost too many people now but the shopping has gotten better.

J. Scott Chambers
11-03-2006, 3:23 PM
I live in the Cookeville, TN area, about 1.5 hours north of Chattanooga, 1.5 hours west of Knoxville, and 1 hour east of Nashville.

The Chattanooga area is beautiful, I just wouldn't want to live in Chattanooga itself. But the Sequatchie Valley is incredible, as is East Tennessee (Smokey Mountains). Land is cheap compared to what your probably used to paying, but rising all the time. So far, no state income tax, although sales taxes are 9.75% in my area, 9.25% in the rest of the state.

We get snow maybe once or twice a year, couple to 3 inches at the most, and it last all of a day or two.

If you break down on the side of the road, chances are the person that stops to help you is actually going to help you, not kill you. We do have our nut cases, too.

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2006, 3:39 PM
If you break down on the side of the road, chances are the person that stops to help you is actually going to help you, not kill you. We do have our nut cases, too.

Funny, my son and I just watched "Deliverance", filmed on the Chattanooga River.

I'm not interested in the new tracts being developed. Those are for the north east sissies. I want a long gravel drive leading to a sagging farmhouse.

Mitch

J. Scott Chambers
11-03-2006, 3:46 PM
Funny, my son and I just watched "Deliverance", filmed on the Chattanooga River.

I'm not interested in the new tracts being developed. Those are for the north east sissies. I want a long gravel drive leading to a sagging farmhouse.

Mitch

Plenty of those, too...farmhouses and long driveways, that is.

Nancy Laird
11-03-2006, 3:56 PM
There are a number of things you must learn--so you'd better start learning now:

True Southerners

1. Only a true Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption, and that you don't "HAVE" them, -- you "PITCH" them.

2. Only a true Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc. make up "a mess."

3. Only a true Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."

4. Only a true Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is - as in: "Going to town, be back directly."

5. All true Southerners, even babies, know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl on the middle of the table.

6. All true Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.

7. Only a true Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. (If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!)

8. Only true Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near" and "a right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20.

9. Only a true Southerner both knows and understands the difference between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.

10. No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.

11, A true Southerner knows that "fixin'" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.

12. Only a true Southerner knows that the term "booger" can be a resident of the nose, a descriptive, as in "that ol' booger," a first name or something that jumps out at you in the dark and scares you senseless.

13. Only true Southerners make friends while standing in lines. We don't do "queues", we do "lines," and when we're "in line," we talk to everybody!

14. Put 100 true Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.

15. True Southerners never refer to one person as "y'all."

16. True Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.

17. Every true Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; that redeye gravy is also a breakfast food; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.

18. When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin' .. ," you know you are in the presence of a genuine Southerner!

19. Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it - we do not like our tea unsweetened. "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.

20. A true Southerner knows that if you are with a couple of friends you, you could be with 2 or 10. The number doesn't matter.

21. And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go on your way.

FOR NORTHERNERS MOVING SOUTH . .

In the South: If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them, just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store....do not buy food at this store.

Remember, "y'all" is singular, "all y'all" is plural, and "all y'all's" is plural possessive.

Get used to hearing "You ain't from round here, are ya?"

Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use it.

Don't be worried at not under standing what people are saying. They can't understand you either. The first Southern statement to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "big'ol," truck or big'ol" boy. Most Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them are in denial about it.

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

Be advised that "He needed killin" is a valid defense here.

If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this," you should stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'll ever say.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the
smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.

Do not be surprised to find that 10-year olds own their own shotguns,they are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.

In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.

AND REMEMBER: If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept them as Southerners. After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits.

Happy Studying!!! :D

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
11-03-2006, 5:55 PM
Shoot, I ain't gotta study Nancy. I already know'd all that thar stuff. :D

Tim Morton
11-03-2006, 7:13 PM
Nice!!:d :d :d

Mitchell Andrus
11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
You're obviously not from Na Joysey. We don't do "y'all" and "Gimme some sugar".

We'll just kill and eat you.

Sleep tight y'all.

Mitch

Jim Andrew
11-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Mitch, if you really want to escape the crowds, try out western Kansas. I live just east of the desert, and we actually have a few trees
here. Bought a bandmill last spring from a guy in northern Illinois, and
drove through Nebraska and Iowa and into the edge of Illinois, and was I
impressed with the trees! And the hills. My truck was in passing gear
half the time. The rest of the time it was coasting downhill. They have
beautiful big hickory trees just growing along the county roads.
Hey, your name is interesting to me, is that just another way of spelling
Andrews? My crowd is Scottish, is yours? Jim Andrew

Mitchell Andrus
11-04-2006, 8:28 AM
Andrus started out as Ondrusch (Slovakian - roll the "dr"). My Great Grandfather came through Ellis Island and it was 'Americaned'. There are a few Andrus clans in the US, but I know which are 'mine'. Walter Andrus sings with the Tommy Dorcey Orch, and Cecil B. Andrus was Gov of Idaho and Sec of State, but neither is one of mine.

Mitch

Matt Campbell
04-05-2008, 10:15 AM
I can't believe what I'm reading about Chattanooga! :eek: It's a shame I say.

I have lived in Chattanooga for 6 years now. Traffic is only "bad" from 5-6pm on the week days. Even then, it's definitely bearable, and there are certainly ways around it. This is not a big city like Nashville or Knoxville. Chattanooga offers several beautiful mountains and lakes for the outdoors lover and many friendly people. The mountains even keep quite a bit of the bad storms and snow out.

Mitch, have you ever heard of or given thought to Soddy Daisy? It's a small, country town just outside of Chattanooga. Hardly any traffic, lots of space, less expensive than Chattanooga, and you'd definitley be able to find the real estate you described.

While you're checking out Soddy Daisy, check out Sale Creek, Dayton, Graysville, and Hixson as well. Dayton is the farthest away at 40 min. Hixson is a suburb next to Chattanooga that is sort of a combination of Chattanooga and the country Soddy Daisy life. Wifey and I will be looking to move to Soddy Daisy or north Hixson in about a year.

If you ever want to come take a tour of Chattanooga and its surrounding areas, please let me know. I'd be happy to drive you around.

David G Baker
04-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Mitchell,
Don't bother with the large Internet real estate sites, check out the areas you have in mind on the Internet and look for local real estate offices that are on line. I have sold property this way, you get a local input this way rather than from a site that is a 1000 or more miles away and hasn't a clue about the area.

Mitchell Andrus
04-05-2008, 9:33 PM
Thanks for the invite. I've been on to Soddy's listings for a while, even talked to a few local realtors.

Re: 'Nooga's bad rap. It's all relative. One man's traffic jam is another's sign of vitality. Locals who've lived there all their lives might not be able to stand the growth, for others coming from the big city, it might be 'country living'.

Belinda Barfield
04-06-2008, 8:39 AM
Mitchell,

I'm with Nancy in most respects. Don't count out GA and SC while you are looking. The area around Greenville, SC is nice, check out Travelers Rest, or maybe Beaufort.

If you can stand the heat, come to the Savannah area. Lots of small, rural towns nearby. You could move to Claxton, home of the Rattlesnake Roundup held once a year, or maybe Dublin, home of the Redneck Games.

Living near Savannah you have access to most of the amenities of a city (like the Bass Pro superstore;)). We lag a little in the culture department, but we do have the world reknowned Savannah Music Festival going on right now. Great food, great people, reasonable drive to the mountains, short drive to the coast. Yeah, the school systems are pretty lame in GA and SC, but since your kids are out of that stage that shouldn't be an issue. On the plus side, we've got azaleas, wisteria, and dogwoods bloomin' themselves silly right now.

In addition to learnin' to say y'all, you'll have to learn not to be offended by the bumper stickers that read "We don't care how you did it up north." You'll have to learn to track and predict hurricane movement as well, as that a sport second only to college football, and helps us pass the time between football seasons!

Good luck with your search!

For kicks I grabbed the real estate section of the paper. Here you go.
"Beautiful, secluded 9.8 acre farm in Chatham County nestled in a conservation community. Minutes from downtown shopping, and fine dining, this old plantation site has abundant wildlife, a large storage building with apartment, paddocks for horses, deep well and septic. $285,000 OBO. "

Too bad you aren't ready to move now of you could pick up this little property . . .
http://www.savannahhomesforsale.net/Magazine/Listing.cfm?MagId=0759&ListingId=10692213

Mitchell Andrus
04-06-2008, 7:01 PM
Belinda, GA isn't off of the list and the Asheville area is quite nice too.

I'm in a position to come pay cash and sell my NJ home later when the market rebounds a bit. I'll be spending some time in the area in the spring... Put the kettle on.

Belinda Barfield
04-07-2008, 8:06 AM
Belinda, GA isn't off of the list and the Asheville area is quite nice too.

I'm in a position to come pay cash and sell my NJ home later when the market rebounds a bit. I'll be spending some time in the area in the spring... Put the kettle on.

LOL . . . sorry Mitchell, you just missed spring as we know it. Well, maybe we have a couple more weeks before we actually hit summer. I don't own a kettle, but I'm sure we can round one up somewhere. I believe the Gryphon Tea Room has one or two.

Savannah is home to the Savannah College or Art and Design (SCAD), the largest art school in the country, with students from all over the world attending. "The Landings" gated community is the largest gated golf club community in the country, and a lot of retirees from up north live there. So, between The Landings and Sun City, Hilton Head, we are just about run over with yankees.;) You won't feel lonely at all.

The weekend of June 14th I'll be working the Street Fair at Puppet Gumbo. One of the performances is entitled Beyond the Moss Curtain, performed by Puppet People. Are you the cranky Yankee pigeon who is flying south? :D

Beyond the Moss Curtain (30 minute show with Audience Participation)
A cranky Yankee pigeon flies South and meets Mosslyn, the Moss Fairy. She entices him to stay by enthralling him with tales of Savannah and its quirkiness. This tongue-in-cheek version of the history of Savannah features a bevy of eccentric characters from Oglethorpe, Nathaniel Green, Juliet Low and Paula Deen. Beyond the Moss Curtain shows off various puppetry styles including 2-Dimensional Flats, Moving Mouth, Rod and Life-Sized caricatures!

Mitchell Andrus
04-07-2008, 8:30 AM
we are just about run over with yankees.;) You won't feel lonely at all.

Are you kidding?????? I'm trying to get away from these people. I go shopping, there're there. I go for pizza, there're there. I go on vacation, there're there. Everywhere I go, more New Jersey-ites sniping at their kids and complaining about their taxes.

;)

I'm looking for a 70 acre spread, a freak'in long driveway, and food delivery service. I'm armed and crotchety.

Don't stick your fingers in the cage, I bite.

Lee Schierer
04-07-2008, 12:03 PM
To get out of New Jersey you have to pay a toll. It doesn't matter what bridge you cross, people leaving New Jersy have to pay a toll to get out of the state. That alone should tell you something.

john dennis
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Mitch, I live about 30 miles west of Chattanooga. Near Kimbal and S. Pittsburg. It is more than I hoped it would be. I came here from Florida by way of Brooklyn, NY. Chattanooga is busy and will soon be the third largest city in TN. But compared to NY, NJ: piece of cake.
What I did was I took a week to travel side roads from Chattanooga to Knoxville to Nashville, down to Pulaski and then back to Chattanooga. When I hit the Cumberland plateau, I knew I'd found my new home. I'd give that a try if I were you. One man's paradise is another mans...
Good luck.
Pops

Colin Giersberg
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
John, how are the waterfalls now. The last time I went to Foster Falls southeast of Tracy City, it was all but dried up. I am sure that there is considerably more water flowing now that the southeast area has had some decent rainfall. I have been on several hikes up in that area also, but that has been several years ago, when I lived in Winchester.

Regards, Colin

Colin Giersberg
04-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Belinda, go to South Pittsburg. Lodge cast iron cookware is made there, if I am not mistaken. You might find something you need there.

Regards, Colin

Matt Campbell
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Colin,

I grew up in Estill Springs and went to Franklin County High School so I went all over Winchester of course. I've also done some backpacking through Foster Falls/Fiery Gizzard many, many times. Small world!

Lodge cast iron is indeed made in South Pittsburg. It seems to be about the only thing there except for the annual Cornbread Festival coming up at the end of this month.

Belinda Barfield
04-08-2008, 7:55 PM
Belinda, go to South Pittsburg. Lodge cast iron cookware is made there, if I am not mistaken. You might find something you need there.

Regards, Colin

Ok Colin, now I'm just confused . . . what do I need that involves cast iron cookware?

Nancy Laird
04-08-2008, 8:02 PM
...now I'm just confused . . . what do I need that involves cast iron cookware?

What's the matter, Belinda, don't you cook? Every good Southern girl needs a cast iron skillet---whether she uses it or not.:p NOT!!

Belinda Barfield
04-08-2008, 8:18 PM
What's the matter, Belinda, don't you cook? Every good Southern girl needs a cast iron skillet---whether she uses it or not.:p NOT!!

Cook? What is that exactly? I own a couple of good cast iron skillets in various sizes . . . and I know how to swing them. :D Actually, I use them to make cornbread, and fry chicken on the rare occasion I actually get to fry chicken. Honey doesn't do fried, so I have to wait until he is out of town, fry me up some chicken, then try to clear the air before he gets home! All of my fine cast iron was made by Lodge with the exception of my great-grandmother's pan that I use exclusively for corn bread and attitude adjustments. It has a nice heft to it and is well seasoned.

john dennis
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
The water is flowing great over Foster Falls.
I live on Fiery Gizzard Cove.
We did have snow this winter. About 1.5 - 2 inches total: give or take.
Dogwoods are starting to bloom.
Lots of baby cows and horses on the farms down the road.
Life is not only good on the Gizzard, life is beautiful on the Gizzard.
Pops

Mitchell Andrus
04-09-2008, 8:16 AM
Fiery Gizzard Cove - I love the cute names you guys give the towns down there. I'm not sure I can live in a place called Soddy Daisy or Ootelwhaa (whatever) with a straight face. Or is that the idea... silly grins.

Mitchell Andrus
04-09-2008, 8:17 AM
Yea....GET OUT, and STAY OUT!

Bob Moyer
04-09-2008, 9:57 AM
I live in PA; the company I work for has it's headquarters in Chattanooga; one of the posters mentioned the traffic; but since you are from NJ; it is not any worse than there.

I love the Chattanooga area, a lot of money has been spent there to improve downtown. The employees who have relocated there - love it.

Art Mulder
04-09-2008, 6:03 PM
John, how are the waterfalls now. The last time I went to Foster Falls southeast of Tracy City, it was all but dried up. I am sure that there is considerably more water flowing now that the southeast area has had some decent rainfall. I have been on several hikes up in that area also, but that has been several years ago, when I lived in Winchester.

Hey Colin,

Actually, this is a very good point. I think if I was contemplating a big move like this I'd be looking at weather trends for the area. Is it getting drier? Warmer? Wetter? Less Stable?

Colin Giersberg
04-09-2008, 8:00 PM
Belinda, there no hint of which gender should use Lodge cookwear in my post. If necessary, they can make for a great attitude corrector, as well as a self-defense weapon.

In regards to Foster Falls, as well as others, I would like to get up in that area again with my camera and take some photos of them. Several years ago, when I lived in Winchester, I went on a short hike in the winter somewhere north of Tracy City. The waterfall was beautiful, with a nice flow and all of the rocks around the falls were covered with snow. If I can dig it up, I will try to scan it, and post it here, but no promises.

Maybe when work slows down in late fall, I can come up and get what I am looking for.

Regards, Colin

Casey Gooding
04-09-2008, 9:06 PM
I escaped NJ myself about six years ago. Moved back south where I grew up. That move was to Charleston, SC. Amazing place.
You should look into the Asheville, NC area. It's beautiful, and there is some great woodworking going on there.
Good luck getting out of the "pit"

John Minnick
04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
My parents live in Cookeville and will be selling, soon, a very nice 30' x 40' shop on 16 acres. Oh yeah, it comes with a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house too.

john dennis
04-10-2008, 12:11 AM
one more thing about TN: there ain't no state income tax!
Pops

Mitchell Andrus
04-10-2008, 12:45 AM
John, tell them to post it here first, with a few pictures.

Belinda Barfield
04-10-2008, 9:23 AM
Belinda, there no hint of which gender should use Lodge cookwear in my post. If necessary, they can make for a great attitude corrector, as well as a self-defense weapon.

Colin,

I didn't read any hint of gender into your post. I feel we may have somehow gotten off on the wrong foot here, and I apologize if I have somehow offended you. PM is waiting in your box.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-13-2008, 5:31 PM
I escaped NJ myself about six years ago. Moved back south where I grew up. That move was to Charleston, SC. Amazing place.
You should look into the Asheville, NC area. It's beautiful, and there is some great woodworking going on there.
Good luck getting out of the "pit"

I'm not sure I would call NJ a 'pit'. Certainly there are problem areas. However, most of the state is respectable, and some areas are down right exclusive. It just cost too much for the regular guy and gal, and I don't see any relief in the near future for the middle class to want to live here.

-Jeff :)

Bob Marino
04-14-2008, 7:51 AM
Hi Mitch,

I hear you about leaving NJ. Last year, I am told more people left NJ than entered. My RE taxes in Glen Ridge are over $14,000 (small house, 3 BR, 1 bath!) No way I'd stay after my daughter is finished with school. Lots of people looking seriously at PA and Delaware.

Bob

Mitchell Andrus
04-14-2008, 8:18 AM
Bob, Glen Ridge is nice, but not THAT nice... WOW, 14K. I'm at about 9K and though it was high.

I figure it this way.... My house will sell for $550,000.00. I can buy a nicer place in NC, or TN for $350,000.00. ...This puts me $200,000.00 to the good. 3% interest gets you $6,000.00/yr

The difference in RE taxes will save me another $6,000.00/yr.

I get to move out of NJ, live in a nicer home in a warmer climate AND stick $12,000.00 a year in my pocket?????

Sign me up. Oooops, almost forgot... You've got to take your job with you, northerners aren't always first picks. Luckily, my wife and I can both do that.

James Carmichael
04-14-2008, 8:20 AM
Oops,... NY.

I guessed MD.

I would say come to N. TX, one of the most affordable housing markets in the country, but it's too crowded already. And there's the tornadoes.

James Carmichael
04-14-2008, 8:26 AM
Honey doesn't do fried

A GA man who doesn't eat fried chicken? Blasphemy!!!

Actually, I seldom do fried anymore myself, gotta watch the blood pressure:(

Belinda Barfield
04-14-2008, 9:09 AM
A GA man who doesn't eat fried chicken? Blasphemy!!!

Actually, I seldom do fried anymore myself, gotta watch the blood pressure:(

I totally agree!!!! Actually, the man does like fried chicken, fried fish even more; however, the fat sends his triglycerides through the roof. So, he doesn't eat fried food very often. I really try not to fry things at home because we have a really small place and he complains that the "fried smell" lingers in the air.:rolleyes:

Ben West
04-14-2008, 9:19 AM
Mitchell,

TN is a great state. I moved away 10 years ago, and still would like to go back someday.

You should take a look at Western Middle TN, the stuff between Nashville and the TN River. I grew up in Humphreys County, and that entire region there along Kentucky Lake/TN River is beautiful, the folks are great, and the land is pretty cheap. Check out towns like Waverly, Erin, Linden, and the surrounding areas. If you want small town Tennessee, these towns epitomize it. And, as a bonus, there's pretty good hardwood sources around these parts.

Good luck!

Keel McDonald
04-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Mitchell,

I've lived in TN all my life, with the exception of 6 months that I lived in NJ after high school. No place on earth I'd rather be than right here in TN. I've lived in Cookeville, went to college there. It's absolutely beautiful. And there are any number of smaller towns in and around that area - Sparta, Monterey, Algood. I now live in Harriman (East TN), about an hour east of Cookevill, 30 min. west of Knoxville. I get the best of both worlds. It's only about 25 minute drive to Knoxville if you get bored with "country life," although I rarely get bored with it. I can also walk out on my front porch, my back porch, or either of the other 2 sides of my house and not have to look at a soul. I don't think you could go wrong with moving to TN.

Jeffrey Makiel
04-14-2008, 2:35 PM
I figure it this way.... My house will sell for $550,000.00. I can buy a nicer place in NC, or TN for $350,000.00. ...This puts me $200,000.00 to the good. 3% interest gets you $6,000.00/yr

Actually, it's less when you consider taxes that you must pay on the interest. Also, inflation in almost any part of the country is probably more than twice the 3% bank interest. So, your money will likely de-value in buying power if it stays in the bank.

Now, if you include savings from the excessively high health insurance and high cost of medical services in NJ, TN is probably looking pretty good again. :)

-Jeff :)

Jim Becker
04-14-2008, 7:52 PM
Well, I do happen to enjoy visiting New Jersey...especially when my gas tank needs filled. $3.05 today in Flemington vs $3.27-3.33 around here...:cool:...and even with my 28 mpg hybrid SUV, that makes a difference!

John W. Willis
04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
East Tennessee! You can throw a rock and hit NC, VA and KY!

Mitchell Andrus
04-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I've been through Johnson City many times. 81 south to 19 and 23, south to Asheville on 2 hours of .... well let's say interesting roads. Major home improvement ideas seem to include putting another pick-up on the lawn. The land that time forgot as my wife says.

Really, I've always liked this area.

Belinda Barfield
04-15-2008, 6:07 PM
I've been through Johnson City many times. 81 south to 19 and 23, south to Asheville on 2 hours of .... well let's say interesting roads. Major home improvement ideas seem to include putting another pick-up on the lawn. The land that time forgot as my wife says.

PSST . . . Mitchell, you might want to rethink that attitude if you are headed south!

Mitchell Andrus
04-15-2008, 6:08 PM
PSST . . . Mitchell, you might want to rethink that attitude if you are headed south!

I can have a little last-minute fun... can't I????