PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Industries - Origin

Rob Bodenschatz
11-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Just curious. As a PSU alum, every time I see the name of this company, I do a double-take. Anyone know the origin of this name?

Nancy Laird
11-02-2006, 1:16 PM
I'm not an expert, nor do I claim to have any kind of inside information, but I would suspect that this company was started in Pennsylvania and the name came from there--or the fact that William Penn was one of the "good guys" (he was, wasn't he?), and that an association with his name would connote honest dealings.

But then, what do I know???

Nancy

Andy Hoyt
11-02-2006, 1:25 PM
My guess would be the marketing department, who knew full well that it would catch attention.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-02-2006, 1:37 PM
My guess would be the marketing department, who knew full well that it would catch attention.
Maybe, but I wonder how many Pitt, Notre Dame, Alabama (waiting for Ken S to chime in) fans won't buy their stuff because it says Penn State on it?

I realize this may be a bit off topic so feel free to move it if you wish.

Bill Grumbine
11-02-2006, 1:40 PM
Rob, I suspect that it has a lot to do with the company being based just outside of Philadelphia. I have no idea if they are playing off of Penn State university or not. After all, it seems like red is their color, not blue and white. ;)

Bill

Tom Henry
11-02-2006, 1:56 PM
:eek: The retail store is only about 20 minutes from my house...:D Guess I will be making a road trip soon...:rolleyes:

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 1:59 PM
Rob, you gotta quit spending Tom's money like this!:D :D :D

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 2:01 PM
Rob, I suspect that it has a lot to do with the company being based just outside of Philadelphia. I have no idea if they are playing off of Penn State university or not. After all, it seems like red is their color, not blue and white. ;)

Bill
Well, there you go. Penn State's name and 'Bama colors. Now THAT is marketing!!!:D

Rob Bodenschatz
11-02-2006, 2:06 PM
Rob, you gotta quit spending Tom's money like this!:D :D :D
LOL. Actually, there's more truth to that than you know. I'm the one who talked Tom into getting 100 bd ft of Mike Morgan's lumber.

:D

Tom Henry
11-02-2006, 2:12 PM
:rolleyes: LOL... that's a good thing though. Now that I know where the retail store is for PSI... That might not be that good...:confused:

Joseph N. Myers
11-02-2006, 2:16 PM
Don't forget the MLCS part of Penn State, actually think that Penn State part of MLCS. I talked to the owner a couple of years ago (he was in the store) and asked him what MLCS stood for. He said something like a combination of a couple of names and really meant nothing. Didn't ask him about Penn State.

Next time I'm in there, will ask. BTW, when I asked at other times years ago, none of their people were of any help. Maybe the current crew wiill know more.

Regards, Joe