PDA

View Full Version : Old planes

Chuck Hanger
11-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Some of the planes that my father had. Was wondering if they are worth refurbishing.

I believe that they are all Stanleys and are complete.

Ken Werner
11-02-2006, 11:16 AM
The middle one looks like a No. 4. Worth a re-do. I don't think I'd bother with the handyman. Can't tell about the grey one.

A nice 4 may not be worth alot, but it can be a very sweet user.

I guess it also depends on how you feel about preserving your father's tools.

Ken

Chuck Hanger
11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
The grey on has a solo #8 stamped in the end of the base plate if that means anything.
Thanks
Chuck

Randal Stevenson
11-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I think the grey one is a Sargent made one, for Sears under the Craftsman name.

Kermit Hodges
11-02-2006, 3:47 PM
The middle one looks like a No. 3 to me. Small adjuster knob make is an older plane I beleive. Everyone is different, but I would sharpen the blade, flatten the sole and use them as is. But I like my old planes to look like old planes.

Chuck Hanger
11-02-2006, 4:02 PM
Thanks to all of you for the information. Although I have a battery charger, I don't have the slighest idea on that soda trick.
Chuck

Derral Bryant
11-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks to all of you for the information. Although I have a battery charger, I don't have the slighest idea on that soda trick.
Chuck

Would that be this trick? telnet:www.buchanan1.net/rust.shtml

Brent Grooms
11-03-2006, 8:55 AM
another option to the battery charger/soda trick is to get some of the boeshield rust remover (T9 I think). For not so heavily rusted metal,wet it down with the spray, let sit a few min, and hit with a scotchbrite pad.... works wonders.

Chuck Hanger
11-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Brent,
Could you give me a hint on where I might look for that product? The middle plane is not really rusty, just discolored. No pitting what so ever.
Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck Hanger
11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
It is handled by Sears. Have a little local outlet here so will check with them.
Thanks Brent,
Chuck

Ruston Hughes
11-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Even if you can't find the rust remover mentioned, mineral spirits and a scotchbrite pad should do wonders on the #3.

Brent Grooms
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
forgot to mention, it is a mild acid and should be used with some ventilation. but it makes the clean up alot easier...

Doug Littlejohn
11-03-2006, 1:26 PM
Heard about this some time ago and found some from an online bulk food supplier and bought like 10# for under $10-$15 shipped.

Tried it recently on half a dozen planes, tools and it works really well. Doesn't have the toxic by products and seems to be easier to clean the surfaces. Both the soda/charger methode and the citric acid have the surfaces coming out blackish, citric a little less. Anyway, it worked really well, it took 24 hours for a really badly rusted plane to come out clean. I use about 1/2-3/4 cup of citric acid crystals to each gallon of water.

YMMV
Sherwood

Chuck Hanger
11-03-2006, 3:11 PM
I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all of your help. Although they might not have a lot of value, they were my father's. Even though he was a farmer, he tried very hard to make a home nice. Thanks for all of the help.
Chuck

Clinton Findlay
11-03-2006, 3:20 PM
... he was a farmer ...

in that case, you come from the best people .... :)

Chuck Hanger
11-03-2006, 3:51 PM
Clifton,
You do not know how much that meant to me.
Thank you,
Chuck