PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Jig

John Powers
11-02-2006, 10:13 AM
I have the Veritas MK II Honing Guide. I like it a lot. I will not ever touch a chisel or plane iron to a spinning wheel by hand. Not steady enough and at 59 am not apt to be. Anyone have the Grinding Jig and Tool Rest from the same folks. The rest bolts in front of the wheel and the blade is secured in the jig and inserted in to a slot in the rest. Looks fool proof but I'd like to hear from someone who actually uses it.

Hans Braul
11-02-2006, 5:29 PM
I have one and is much better than anything I've used before. I haven't got any use out of the little plastic bevel gauge though. The adjustment is easy and quick but requires a bit of fidgeting to get it just so. That said, I'm not really using it much. I prefer to grind my blades with a flat bevel using the Veritas Mk II on a course stone (200/800, depending how much I want to take off, then hone with a few swipes on 4000/8000 waterstone. No chance of burning that way.

Regards
Hans

Eddie Darby
11-02-2006, 9:07 PM
Yes I have the Grinder tool platform and tool holder.

I use a 1725 RPM slow speed grinder with 8" wheels, to help reduce burning and the amount of hollow grinding. I only use it for real rough blades that need a lot of work to get them back into shape, otherwise I find the coarse waterstones that I have more than up for the task of sharpening a dull blade by hand.

I mounted the grinder unit on a piece of 3/4" plywood with a "T" track in front of the wheels. I use the "T" track to move the Veritas unit from one wheel to the other, if I need to. The unit is very versatile and functions nicely. It is that I just don't use it that much, since a blade has to have need of a lot of work before I use it, but when I use it , I sure am glad I have it, since my main sharpening tool is a Tormek which is fairly slow at 90 RPM.

This Veritas unit was one of the first tools that Veritas produced and has been around for years and years doing a good job.

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?cat=55

Richard Niemiec
11-03-2006, 9:30 AM
John, I have had both for at least 8 years or so, and use frequently with good results. Initially I did not buy the jig that fits into the support, but after I did it made a big difference. In short, worth the money. Again, like the other posters I use it to set the basic grind and finish off with stones and/or scary sharp. regards.rn

John Powers
11-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Just what I plan to use it for. Most Garage or flea market chisels are in need of gross rehab before any fine tuning and trying that by hand has proved beyond me. I ordered the thing.

Terek Johnson
11-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I have this set-up as well. The jig is tricky at first, but once you figure it out it makes sense. My only little complaint is that there is a little slop between the tool rest and jig. Which is to say that if you are sliding a wide blade horizontally across the wheel, the slop in the jig doesn't hold it consistently level. But that's just my experience. Also, let me further qualify this post by adding that I think that Veritas consistently makes great woodworking tools. I also have the Mk II and I think it is the best sharpening jig around