PDA

View Full Version : Last work day story Long

David Wilson
11-02-2006, 9:44 AM
Tuesday was my last day at work. Retired at noon. That morning a farmer/customer was in the shop ordering a new radio. While visiting with him I asked how harvest was going. He said that he finished monday but that harvest was a real PITA. Seems he got a new JD combine this yaer and had nothing but trouble with it. He would make about 1/2 a round and it would overheat and shut down. The dealership sent out a mechanic who replaced every sensor on the engine. Still had the same problem so the turbo cooler was replaced. Didn't fix it so the dealership contacted John Deer who finally sent out a factory engeneer. The engineer spent a day riding in the combine with a laptop connected to monitor the problem.
Still no solution. They wood get back to him.
The farmer went to another dealership ( Not JD) to pick up some parts and mentioned the problem to there mechanic and he said he would take a look. Stoped by later that day, climbed up on the engine platform and announced that he knew what the problem was. There was dust on the platform. Said that the cooling fan on this model combine was so powerfull that there should be no dust. Had it fixed in 5 min.

Solution. The cooling fan was mounted backwards from the factory.

Dennis Peacock
11-02-2006, 9:48 AM
Hehehehehe......must have been built on a Monday, Friday, or a day before a holiday. :D

Matt Meiser
11-02-2006, 9:50 AM
Oops! I do a lot of troubleshooting at work. I always insist we start with the very basics becuase probably 50% of the time it is something that "can't be wrong."

Frank Fusco
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Reminds me of the early days of computers. A guru friend came to my house to try to get sound out of the speakers. He worked all day without success. The next day I was poking around in back and found the speakers weren't plugged in.

Lars Thomas
11-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Funny story about the tractor. But more importantly. CONGRATS on the retirement! Lars

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 7:17 PM
Hehehehehe......must have been built on a Monday, Friday, or a day before a holiday. :D
...or completed just before lunch or quittin' time...:p

David, congrats on the retirement!

Jim Becker
11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Maybe the dude or dudette that installed the fan was "green"....... :D :D :D :D :D

Robert Mickley
11-03-2006, 6:45 AM
Maybe the dude or dudette that installed the fan was "green"....... :D :D :D :D :D

or was mad at his boss and was to yellow to do something about it, so he took it out on the combine.

Bada boom, Thank you , thank you. I'll be here all week folks:D

Jim Becker
11-03-2006, 9:22 AM
I just couldn't resist, Robert...it was such an en-Deereing opportunity!