PDA

View Full Version : rikon lathe

byron constantine
11-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Anyone had this problem? I went to lock the spindle to remove the chuck and it did not hold the spindle. After taking out the lock pin i could see
(with the use of a flashlight) that the locking gear had moved towards
the faceplate end. To make a long story short the set screw on the
gear backed out and the gear slid on the spindle. I had to take the switch
and switch box out to be able to acess the set screw. When i tightened
it back down i put some non hardening locktite on it. That ought to hold
it. I don't know if this happens very often but this is one way to fix it.

Byron

Richard Jones
11-02-2006, 2:59 AM
Yes, happened on mine, fixed the same way as yours.

I used some red Loc-Tite, because I am a believer of The Truth that More Is Better................... :D

Hope the Rikon works well for you, I have really enjoyed mine the past year.

Richard Jones

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Mine didn't move but just to make sure before I set it up and in the middle of turning I removed the set screw put some locktite on it. Like Richard hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am. Love it. In fact since I got it my big lathe is getting jealous.

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Mine must be working fine. I've accidentally turned it on three times with the lock engaged and it just sits there, looks at me and says "guess what you forgot you moron":eek: :eek: :eek:

Mark Pruitt
11-13-2006, 8:44 AM
Mine must be working fine. I've accidentally turned it on three times with the lock engaged and it just sits there, looks at me and says "guess what you forgot you moron":eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, guess what happened with my Rikon this weekend.:mad: :mad: :mad: I suppose I should have kept my mouth shut (above).

I vaguely remembered reading this thread so I knew that the gear could move along the shaft. Only in my case, the stupid set screw came all the way out and at this point it is either sitting comfortably in my dust collector or somewhere in the yard where I throw swept-up shavings.:eek: Do you think I'm going to look for it?:rolleyes:

I went to the BORG and bought another screw, but could not pull the switch out far enough to gain access to the gear. Instead, I used a long allen wrench and went through the spindle lock hole, which meant that the gear was not optimally positioned on the shaft but was close enough to engage the lock. I forgot to use Loctite though, and the gear is already slipping again.:mad:

So now I've got to figure out how to get that blooming switch pulled so I can get better access--it's either that or completely remove the headstock, which I DO NOT want to do!!! Geez Loweez, am I doomed to always have lathe problems? First my other lathe's motor dies on me and now this. I'm seeing red.