PDA

View Full Version : Finished Corner Cupboard Pictures

Ernie Hobbs
11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I finally finished the corner cupboard I started last January. I moved it into the house today.

The wood is walnut (primary) and cypress (secondary). Hardware is from Londonderry and Ball & Ball. Finish: 1. mixture of transtint light red mahogany and moser honey amber powder dyes, 2. tung oil, 3. amber shellac, 4. Dark Briwax. The glass is old- recovered from the local Habitat for Humanity re-store in Huntsville.

Any comments and advice will be much appreciated. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

Keel McDonald
11-02-2006, 6:51 AM
Very nice piece, Ernie! I particularly like the color. It has a really warm tone. I also like the arches at the tops of the doors. I appreciate you taking the time to recycle some old glass, a detail that will really set the piece off.

Rich Torino
11-02-2006, 9:40 AM
Nice job Ernie. I really like the crown moulding treatment you did. Proportions look great..

Aaron Beaver
11-02-2006, 9:47 AM
Great looking project, very inspiring. Thanks for sharing it.

Mark Singer
11-02-2006, 9:49 AM
excellent work!!!! Nicely done!

Eddie Watkins
11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Very nice! Your father taught you well:) .

Eddie

Hank Knight
11-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Ernie,

That's a beautiful piece. I've been wanting to build one of those for years. Your's is an inspiration. Very nice work.

Hank

Larry Norton
11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Absolutely stunning, Ernie!

Mike Weaver
11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Ernie,
First, congrats on finishing a large project!
(I can't seem to even get my shop in order, much less produce something like this yet :eek::) )

As for the project itself, simple beautiful! I like the style, the wood, the color and especially the glass. That was a superb choice to use the old glass.

My hat is off to you.

-Mike

Dave Ray
11-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Really nice, Ernie. I like everything about it, especially the color, warm and inviting. Great craftsmanship

Luther Oswalt
11-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Well done Erine ... and I'm wondering were you used the Cypress! Cypress is such a pretty wood.
Leo

Brett Baldwin
11-02-2006, 12:20 PM
That turned out great Ernie. The cypress is a nice touch. Adds to the uniqueness.

lou sansone
11-02-2006, 12:55 PM
hey I have seen that photo before

seriously .... excellent work and the best period for furniture IMHO

Lou

Jason Tuinstra
11-02-2006, 2:18 PM
Ernie, wow! It looks fantastic. It's a real show piece and it's in a perfect spot to be seen. Good job!

Roy Wall
11-02-2006, 3:44 PM
Ernie -

That is a magnificent piece........just beautiful!!! I think the glass door design is excellent!!!

You have done a terrific job.....the fit, finish, ALL OF IT!!:) :)

Jim Becker
11-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Beautiful, Ernie!

Calvin Hobbs
11-03-2006, 8:01 AM
Ernie,

Nice to see it in it's final position out of the shop. You did a great job.

So what is next on the furnituremaking agenda?

Cal

Greg Salata
11-03-2006, 8:46 AM
Stunning Ernie....................simply stunning:)

glenn bradley
11-03-2006, 7:37 PM
Very nice and a perfect fit . . . accidental, right ;-) The style looks great next to the stairway's style. With the style of the wallpaper in the background I'm betting the unit fits well with the room decor too!

Mark Stutz
11-03-2006, 8:01 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Ernie!

I assume the use of dye is to even out the color? Please tell me you used a set of plans for this.:o I wouldn't even know where to start.:eek:

Lars Thomas
11-03-2006, 9:36 PM
Another great example of fine craftsmenship from the Hobbs. Lars

Ernie Hobbs
11-03-2006, 9:51 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Ernie!

I assume the use of dye is to even out the color? Please tell me you used a set of plans for this.:o I wouldn't even know where to start.:eek:

Thanks. Yes, the dye is used to even out the color. This was wood had a little bit of sap wood so the streaks would have detracted from the overall appearance. I used tung oil to pop the grain so the wood still shows quite a bit of figure. Regardign the design- it is a copy of an 18th century piece in Northeastern NC. My Dad and brother measured the original and took lots of pictures.

Ernie Hobbs
11-03-2006, 9:53 PM
Very nice and a perfect fit . . . accidental, right ;-) The style looks great next to the stairway's style. With the style of the wallpaper in the background I'm betting the unit fits well with the room decor too!

Thanks. The fit actually is accidental- since the cupboard is so big, it is the only place in my house that has a corner big enough without a door or window in the way. Now I have to find a different place to put my Christmas tree ;)

Ernie Hobbs
11-03-2006, 9:56 PM
Ernie,

Nice to see it in it's final position out of the shop. You did a great job.

So what is next on the furnituremaking agenda?

Cal

A couple of federal card tables. Hopefully they'll be finished sometime this winter but don't hold your breath. After the wine cabinet and corner cupboard, I'm looking forward to something small. My shop is way too crowded- especially since Dad brought that old Delta/Rockwell lathe to me this week (stealth gloat).

How's the lowboy coming?

Bruce Page
11-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Only one comment Ernie, Beautiful Piece, Beautiful craftsmanship!