PDA

View Full Version : Tool & Accesories - Need Suggestions

Steven DeMars
11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Getting ready to order a JET 1014 Mini Lathe and below listed accessories from Craft Supply. I know others may have better prices, but Roger @ Craft Supply has been very patient with my many calls and really helpful overall. Never once tried to up sell me.

* VARIABLE SPEED JET MINI LATHE
* JET BED EXTENSION
* JET MINI LATHE STAND
* JET MINI LATHE STAND EXTENSION
* 1 X 8 TPI 3 1/2 INCH VICMARC CHUCK
* CURVED REST FOR DELTA/JET MINI LATHE
* RIGHT ANGLE TOOLREST
* KEY CHUCK

Now I need input on tools, books, DVD's & grinding method for tools. I have a new 8" DELTA variable speed grinder. Plan to do small boxes, bowls, yo-yo's, etc . . .

Thanks in advance, Steve

Corey Hallagan
11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Welcome Steven and congrats. That is a nice lathe and man a great chuck as well. Can't beat the Raffan DVD's and books for both Box and Bowl turning as well as fellow Member Bill Grumbines 2 DVD's on bowl turning, they are much recommended by folks here.

Corey

Dario Octaviano
11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
From your listed projects...looks like you won't need the bed and stand extention. I am also not sure about the right angle toolrest.

FYI, I love buying pen kits from CSUSA...but for equipment, I go elsewhere .;) It is your money so you can spend it as you wish.

FYI, I bought 2 lathes from Amazon...a Jet 1236 and a Jet mini VS. Combined price for both including FREE shipping is only $550.00. Oh yes...I do wait for sales ;) Those also included free face shield, free pen starter kit (book, tools, glue, 10 kits, 10 blanks, etc.)

I recommend Turning Wood, Turning Bowls and Turning Boxes by Richard Raffan. Another book I recommend is Turning Green Wood by Michael O'Donnell

For DVD's/videos...check Bill Grumbine, Alan Lacer, Richard Raffan and David Ellsworth

Daniel Heine
11-02-2006, 1:24 AM
Hello,

I think you will be more than happy with your new purchase. Woodcraft has a very nice set of their Pinnacle tools on sale right now. Or, you may want to consider a set of Harbor Freight tools. Check the link below:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47066

I have a set of these, and they are decent tools, and for only $36.00, you can afford to practice your sharpening skills with these. I alsom have a set of the Sorby tools. They are good tools, but I would not suggest spending that much money until you are more comfortable with sharpening, and have a better idea of what kind of turning you like, and waht tools you need to do it.

As for shapening, you can spend a lot of money ona Wolverine or similiar sharpening jig, or build one yourself. It's very simple, and you can find plans on the internet:
http://www.turningtools.co.uk/widgets/grindingjig/wtsharpen.pdf
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pdf/ShopBuiltJig.pdf

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

Mike Vickery
11-02-2006, 2:33 AM
One purchase you may want to consider is a sharpening jig to go on your grinder. I have the oneway wolverine and like it but their any many good ones on the market.

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the lathe Steven. As far as tools go I have a some pinnacle's tools from Woodcraft that I like a lot. I also have several seperate gouges, scrapers, etc. from Penn State Industries. They are a whole lot cheaper but I have found just as good as the rest. I don't like buying sets because you end up with several that never get used and to me that is wasted money. As far as DVD's go I agree with the rest. Raffan's bowl turning and Box turning, I also like Alan Lacers The Skew, and definately Bill Grumbines two DVD's on Bowl turning. I have the wolverine grinding jig and love it. Gives the same results time and time again. There are others but I like this one.

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Now I need input on tools, books, DVD's & grinding method for tools.

Tools:

8 pc. HSS set from Harbor Freight. One of the few "excellent" buys you'll find there.
1/2" bowl gouge. Best price I know of: http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_tgouges.htm
Bowl scraper.
Tools for sanding. Either a Power Lock system for a drill, or a Sorby sander (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=161-0300) or one like it. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/abrasives.htmlBooks:

Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Rowley.
Fundamentals of Woodturning by Darlow.
any of Raffan's books.DVDs:

Turned Bowls Made Easy by Grumbine. http://www.wonderfulwood.com/turners_corner.html
Beyond the Basic Bowl by Grumbine.
Turning Wood by Raffan.
Turning Boxes by Raffan.
Turning Projects by Raffan.
Bowl Turning by Stubbs.Grinding Method for tools:

Wolverine Jig.
Wolverine Vari-Grind and Skew attachments.
Oneway balancing system (verify compatibility with your grinder)
Grinding wheel dresser (an absolute must!)

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Looking over your list again, why not build a stand and save that money for other purposes? I know if you're like me you just want to get started and not have to mess with building a stand first, but it doesn't have to be fancy. Just a thought.

Frank Kobilsek
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Steven
I'm with Mark. Skip the stand and the extension. The products you described do not need the bed length and the Mini sets nice on your work bench. No stand means it can go on a shelf when not in use. I bought the extension and bought a bigger lathe before the stand ever came out of the box and ended up taking it back.

Crafts Supply is an outstanding supplier and if you are comfortable and pleased with the service you are getting from Roger don't be talked into chasing price elsewhere. The advantage of 'single sourcing' is everything should go together.

At Crafts Supply they sell Artisan tools which are excellant quality and good value.

Don't forget finishing supplies for the projects you have in mind.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
11-02-2006, 5:58 PM
Steven forgot to tell you I bought the extension and stand for my first lathe. Problem was they never made it out of the box. I wouldn't buy them now with what you said you were going to turn. You can add them later if you see differently.

Steven DeMars
11-04-2006, 7:33 PM
Just to let you guys know, I placed my order with Craft Supply. Took everyones suggestions and added a few more items . . .

VARIABLE SPEED JET MINI LATHE

JET MINI LATHE STAND

1 X 8 TPI 3 1/2 INCH VICMARC CHUCK

1" DOVETAIL JAW S - VICMARC

3" DOVETAIL JAWS - VICMARC (BACK ORDERED)

4" DOVETAIL JAWS - VICMARC

EXTENDED DOVETAILS

STEP JAWS

CURVED REST FOR DELTA/JET MINI LATHE

RIGHT ANGLE TOOLREST

KEY CHUCK #2 MT

SAFE DRIVER - ONEWAY - #2 MT

TURNING BOXES by RAFFAN - DVD & BOOK

TURNING WOOD by RAFFAN -DVD & BOOK

TURNING PROJECTS by RAFFAN - DVD & BOOK

BASIC BOWL ON THE LATHE - by RAFFAN - VHS

TOOL SHARPENING, BASIC CUTTING TECHNIQUES, SPINNING TOPS - B. KLEIN - DVD

A GUIDE TO WORK-HOLDING ON THE LATHE By FRED HOLDER - BOOK

LEARN TO TURN - By BARRY GROSS - BOOK

MASTER ONEWAY SHARPENING SYSTEM

EXTRA V-ARM

SKEW GRINDING JIG

Also odered both of Bill's DVDs . . .

Steven DeMars
11-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Just to let you guys know, I placed my order with Craft Supply. Took everyones suggestions and added a few more items . . .Good thing Christmas is nearly here . . .

VARIABLE SPEED JET MINI LATHE

JET MINI LATHE STAND

1 X 8 TPI 3 1/2 INCH VICMARC CHUCK

1" DOVETAIL JAW S - VICMARC

3" DOVETAIL JAWS - VICMARC (BACK ORDERED)

4" DOVETAIL JAWS - VICMARC

EXTENDED DOVETAILS

STEP JAWS

CURVED REST FOR DELTA/JET MINI LATHE

RIGHT ANGLE TOOLREST

KEY CHUCK #2 MT

SAFE DRIVER - ONEWAY - #2 MT

TURNING BOXES by RAFFAN - DVD & BOOK

TURNING WOOD by RAFFAN -DVD & BOOK

TURNING PROJECTS by RAFFAN - DVD & BOOK

BASIC BOWL ON THE LATHE - by RAFFAN - VHS

TOOL SHARPENING, BASIC CUTTING TECHNIQUES, SPINNING TOPS - B. KLEIN - DVD