PDA

View Full Version : Sander Replacement gloat

Paul Kinneberg
11-01-2006, 9:37 PM
I picked up the new sanders that will replace my Ridged spindle/edge sander today. The new ones are a Shop Fox Spindle sander (W1686) and a Grizzly Oscillating edge sander (G0563). I will let you know how they work after I have had a chance to use them. In the mean time can someone tell me what to use to get the protectant on the Shop Fox off? I normally use kerosene but this stuff is really thick.
Thanks
Paul

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 9:40 PM
Nice haul! (Appropriate word it looks like, too...) :D :D :D

Corey Hallagan
11-01-2006, 9:48 PM
I use lots of paper towells and simple green to get the stuff off. Then a cleaning with WD-40 on the cast Iron top and wax and buff.

corey

Mitchell Andrus
11-02-2006, 8:54 AM
Paul, nice. I have one and wouldn't be without it. I run a one-man production shop and between the edge and drum sanders (2x25" Powermatic) I save three to four hours a week on sanding operations. I get my 6x89" belts at Woodworkers Supply. They di$count to commercial customer$.

Be sure to check the BACK of each of the belts for stray glue. I wrecked a graphite platen one day because a glob of glue was stuck to the back of the belt. Also, take a palm sander and grind down the grit over the joint in the belt. This'll cut down on the 'thump-thump-thump' as the joint comes around.

Mitch

Brett Baldwin
11-02-2006, 1:00 PM
Looks like you scaled up quite a bit. Nice gloat.

Art Mulder
11-02-2006, 1:07 PM
Nice haul, indeed. Though, really, I just see a few large boxes... :cool:

Oh, and someone should make sure Tyler pops into this thread, and then Jim and Matt can point out to him clear evidence as to why he wants a front end loader on his new toy... :p

Chris Rosenberger
11-02-2006, 8:05 PM
Nice tractor.:) I I I mean nice tools.:o

lou sansone
11-02-2006, 9:02 PM
ahh fresh tools to unpack and plug in... I remember those days fondly
best wishes
lou

Paul Kinneberg
11-02-2006, 9:28 PM
Art here are some pictures of the actual tools for you. As far as removing the coating on th spindle sander I tried simple green, kerosene, Mineral spirits, gas, and as you can see i'm not getting to far that little corner took about 30 min with kerosene any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Riegsecker
11-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Nice tractor.:) I I I mean nice tools.:o

That's what I was going to say but didn't know how. Is that a 4115 JD I have one just like it . Beautiful little tractor. My wife let me get quick connect forks. My brother just got a little fork truck. That one won't be as easy.

Oh ,the tools, Ya nice :D

Jim Becker
11-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm really looking forward to your comments on the edge sander...that really looks like something that would be a nice addition to my shop one of these days. (I even like the color...I was never much for green tools... ;))

Michael Cody
11-02-2006, 11:36 PM
I do have to swear -- folks on this board have way to much free cash :)

I see 40K worth of truck & trailer, a 25K tractor, 40K wood shop and all that to house the 3K worth of tools next to who knows how much other stuff... I am jealous.. but it's a "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT" haul.

Maybe when I hit the lottery or recognize that opportunity just sitting there in work clothes.....

Greg Koch
11-03-2006, 2:33 AM
Would a plastic scraper, like a paint scraper, help you get some of the thicker stuff off? Maybe the other solutions would then take the thin layer off easier.

Just a thought.

Greg

P.S. Very nice tools...

David Rose
11-03-2006, 4:00 AM
Try a putty knife with one of the solvents. If you are worried about the knife scratching the surface of those nice new surfaces :D , polish the edge on 400 grit wet or dry first. Kerosene or mineral spirits should work after that.

David

Paul Kinneberg
11-03-2006, 8:59 AM
David I was worried about scratching the top but I did what you said and it worked great!! Thanks

Paul Kinneberg
11-03-2006, 2:32 PM
Now that's better!!

Aaron Beaver
11-03-2006, 2:35 PM
Cleaned up real nice. Good looking tools.

David Rose
11-03-2006, 3:40 PM
Much much improved! ;)

David

Now that's better!!