PDA

View Full Version : Shop ceiling

Ben Grunow
11-01-2006, 9:30 PM
I have no ceiling in my shop (and no siding after a year and a half but whos counting except maybe my neighbors) yet, just exposed rafters. I originally planned to sheetrock it but now that I have all my stuff in there the thought of mudding and sanding and then painting over all my tools is less than appealing. My wallet has also taken a major hit and might not recover if I hit it again.

I have seen 4x8 sheets of textured plastic or fiberglass (1/8" or 1/4") at the Borg that are starting to look good to me because they are thin and light and are already a nice bright white. My only concern would be sagging over time and the potential for very fine dust to stick to this material.

I just need something to cover the insulation and reflect some light instead of suck it up like the roof plywood. I hope to avoid painting too. Any ideas?

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 9:49 PM
If your shop is detached from your house you may be able to get away with the thin material, but if attached you'll likely need 5/8" fire-rated rock. (Assuming garage) Some localities may require that on a detached building. Outside of that...it will likely do what you want it to do.

Paul Kinneberg
11-01-2006, 9:56 PM
You don't mention the distance between centers on the rafters but if the material you use is two thin it will sag on a standard 24 " on center rafter. it might even on a 16" on center. You may want to try a peice and see how it stays.

Jim O'Dell
11-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Ben, I think the material you are looking at is the Glasliner FRP. I'm using some as the reflectors for my shop lights. I built some arcs out of 2X6 white pine and screwed them into place in the rafters, then cut the Glasliner to fit up in between the rafters to recess my flourescents. It works great for this. The largest piece I use is 6' long and just under 24" wide. I have 3 arc supports for each of these. They seem pretty sturdy being a fiberglass type material. It's tough to handle a 4X8 sheet by yourself, but it can be done. (I ripped mine on the table saw using a plastic laminate blade) If you put some blocking, even 2X2 material, in every 24 to 30 inches, I think it would be fine. But at 30.00 per sheet, it's a little pricey for wall covering. If I'm wrong about what you are thinking of, I appologize. There are some pressed board or masonite type sheets with a simulated white tile embossed on one side, but I wasn't thinking that's what you were looing at from the description. Jim

David G Baker
11-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Keep an eye on the price of 7/16" OSB. With the decline in the home building industry the price may come down to a reasonable price again. If you use the OSB, prime it with Sheetrock primer (PVA) and then coat it with a couple of coats of high gloss latex paint before you put it on your ceiling. It may be one of the cheapest ways to go and the OSB looks good with the high gloss paint and reflects light quite well.
David

richard poitras
11-02-2006, 7:39 AM
you can also use a product called thermax white finish it is fire rated and is 1'' thick and gives you a r value of 6.5 and has a white finish on it. it is made by Dow

Jack Hutchinson
11-02-2006, 7:51 AM
I went with well-fit 5/8 gypsum, didn't tape or mud, placed access panels wherever I might need to get to plumbing, heating or wiring and painted with ceiling paint.

Wouldn't be very difficult to take out screws and take down individual sheets if I needed more access.

It's a shop, could you get away with not finishing?

On the other hand, that thermax sounds very interesting.

- Jack

Ken Werner
11-02-2006, 8:08 AM
Ben, How big an area are you talking about?
Ken

Lee Schierer
11-02-2006, 7:53 PM
Here's what I did! Shop Ceiling (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43516)
I supported the insulation with 1/2" aluminum faced foam insulation board in 4 X 8 sheets, then made my own drop ceiling grid. The insulation not only adds insulation value, but keeps the fiberglass from sagging over time. Witht eh 5" dead air space, I've also added some dead air to slow heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer.

I've had nothing but positive comments from all shop visitors.

Chris Barton
11-02-2006, 8:08 PM
I used simple 2x4' drop ceiling pieces and did a standard installation. The pieces offer good insulation value and it goes up fast. It's also cheap... You can always get back into the ceiling with ease for future modifications.

Ben Grunow
11-02-2006, 8:27 PM
My shop is 16 x 24 with raised ceiling (11' to collar ties with 6' slope on either side, all framing is 16" o.c.) and the shop is at the rear of my detached garage so fire rating is no issue. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff that I'm thinking of. It has small bumps that are angular in shape and I have seen it on the walls behind deli counters and in public bathrooms with a small strip covering the joints. Hoping this description brings out someone who knows what its called.

I could use 1/4 or 3/8 ply but its the painting I loathe. Thanks for the replies, I will have to investigate the info you gave me and think some more. Time and my budget are on my side since I can't afford to buy anything now anyway.

Ben Grunow
11-02-2006, 8:34 PM
It is the glasliner that I am thinking of (found it after 11 seconds of Googling) and what a bummer that its $30 a sheet.

The thermax white finish is a great looking product especially since it will add insulation and sound deadening. Any ideas on what it costs Richard?

Never heard of it.