PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on HF lathe.

Jeffrey L Nolan
11-01-2006, 8:32 PM
Well subject says it all this one.

Thanks no Jet or Delta not in the close future.

Wish but not.

:rolleyes:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34706

Starter lathe pens small bowls no Jet Mini either.

Don Baer
11-01-2006, 9:24 PM
Save your money, go to WC, buy a Rikon.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2006, 9:31 PM
Amen to what Don said. Buy the Rikon for $30 cheaper at $249.

Mark Pruitt
11-01-2006, 9:57 PM
HF occasionally puts the 34706 on sale at $199. As a 34706 owner, I would not recommend paying any more for it than that. But even with that being said, the Rikon Mini has just as big of a swing--12"--although its spindle length capacity is obviously shorter. I own both of these lathes; I can say that the only true advantage of the HF over the Rikon Mini is the ease of changing speeds with the Reeves drive as opposed to moving a belt between pulleys. Between the two, the Rikon Mini is definitely the superior tool.

Jeffrey L Nolan
11-02-2006, 6:34 AM
Gosh you guys are maybe right.

But how will I be able to turn a large 4" spindle on a miniature Lathe.:rolleyes:

Unless it is 12" long:p

Kent Fitzgerald
11-02-2006, 6:38 AM
The HF 34706 (purchased for $200 on sale) has been a good starter lathe for me. I haven't used the Rikon lathe, so I can't comment on it (although that seldom stops people from knocking HF tools :D ).

Chris Barton
11-02-2006, 7:15 AM

But how will I be able to turn a large 4" spindle on a miniature Lathe.:rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, the between centers measure is 15" on the Rikon and you can get bed extensions. With a single bed extension you get 30" which is usually more than enough axial distance for most turning. I've never heard anyone say they were sorry for buying this machine but, the HF, many times...

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 7:47 AM

Jeff, I'm a little confused--maybe I just need to drink my coffee :p :p but if you'll go to www.rikontools.com (http://www.rikontools.com) you can find (and download) the user manual for the 70-100 Mini Lathe. I suspect that the manual might answer some questions for you.

Or maybe you were just saying what you said in jest and I'm too dense to get it this morning--like I said I need my coffee!:eek: :p :eek:

Mike Vickery
11-02-2006, 10:22 AM

Another question is how are you going to turn 4" spindels on a lathe that flexes when you tighten the tail stock. I have never owned one of these but one of my buddies did very briefly and he was not at all happy. Stick with a good name brand or wait to take up turning.

Stephen Hibbs
11-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I have the HF in question. It's underpowered and has a lightweight base, but I think it's worth the money. I've used the delta 14" and they're roughly on par. The headstock lifts up and back a bit though if you put too much pressure on, and I don't think that's supposed to happen. That's my one big complaint. Not terrible, but not great. Get it on sale though

Jim Underwood
11-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I've had two HF, and I wouldn't go back to one. Yup they got me started, but the aggravation factor was way up there....:(

Although it's a little smaller, I'd buy a Jet Mini again. You can buy the bed extension (mine came bundled with the extension) and increase the center to center distance. I got mine for $279 with extension, and a $25 rebate brought it down to nearly $250.

Right now there are places that are selling the Jet mini with the Nova Midi chuck (I have one of those too) for around $279.

Michael Cody
11-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Had one of these too.. sold it 4-5 years ago to a high school student who sold it about 2 years ago to a retired fellow who just joined our turning club. Guess what?? it's still turning stuff. Great starter tool IMNSHO .. I would buy in again in the same spot, but....

Don't pay 279$ -- hit a HF sale and get it for 169-199$... good deal there. It's a tad underpowered, I never had a problem with the tail stock slipping or the bed flexing. The nut on the pivoting head came loose a couple of times and I had to tighten it. Otherwise it's a tad under powered, nothing over a 9-10 inch diameter bowl without a very light touch. For spindle stuff it's great, pens, ornaments, bottle stoppers are great..

All that said for the current pricing I would buy a Jet Mini VS (in fact that is what I did do) ... for the extra 40-50$ bucks. It will turn as big a bowl and if you really need the extra length of bed, buy the bed extension.. if the extra cash is a stopper, buy this and learn to turn.. you will want a bigger one in a year or so -- or maybe you will decide to stop turning -- you can then sell it to a high school kid, who will sell it later to an older gent ......:)

Charles McKinley
11-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi Jeffery,

Do you have a Rockler near you? In there new flyer they have introduced the M-Power lathe for $179 on sale for $150. It looks like a jet mini knock off. For a starter set of tools the HF high speed steel set is hard to beat.

Here is a link to the lathe:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=17191

Jeffrey L Nolan
11-03-2006, 5:43 PM
Well guys went and looked at the HF lathe did not like the fit or finish so off to Woodcraft I went bought the Rikon.

So now do I ask the wife to get me the extension or save money for that $600.00 Big Jet they had their or will this thing turn big spindles??:cool:

Thanks Folks.;)

Mark Pruitt
11-03-2006, 7:46 PM
So now do I ask the wife to get me the extension or save money for that $600.00 Big Jet they had their or will this thing turn big spindles??:cool:

Thanks Folks.;)
Jeffrey,
That really depends on a few things. If you are content to limit spindle capacity to 16" for a while I would say hold off on the extension. I think your money would be better spent on a second, larger lathe at a later time. In your original post you said your interest was pens and small bowls. That being the case, I think you now have a lathe perfectly capable of meeting those expectations. My suggestion is, go with what you now have and practice, practice, practice.

And congrats on the Rikon Mini. I bought mine exactly two weeks ago and it's performing very well. I think you'll really like this one.

Bernie Weishapl
11-03-2006, 9:45 PM
Congrats Jeffrey on the Rikon. I bought mine a month ago and love it. It will turn a 11 3/4" bowl and a 11 3/4" plate cause I just did one of each. So like you said with pens and pretty good size bowls you have all the lathe you will need for now to learn on. Mark said it best. You got a good lathe now practice, practice, and practice some more.

Jeffrey L Nolan
11-04-2006, 8:25 AM
Practice Practice who has the time for that.

Need to make some pens first:eek:

Going to get the extension as I think this thing will be it for awhile.

That other Lathe is $1700.00 not $700 like I thought.

so will be years before I see that much thrown into a lathe.

TS yes but not a lathe.;)

To replace the Ridgid which is great.

Thanks again Guys.

So any hints on Penn State pen kits or Woodcraft.

I have Woodcraft ones but was looking at Penn state's also.

:)

Charles McKinley
11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Jeffery,

Once sucked into the vortex you will have no nee for a table saw.

Pen kits- www.breahardwoods.com

is who Ken S. recommended to me many years ago andd is a supporter of the Freedom Pen Project I believe. They are very nice to deal with.

Have fun!

Kurt Forbes
11-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I have and really like the HF lathe but I would never pay or recommend anyone else pay much nore than $170 for it I got mine at $169 and they let me use a 20% off coupon at that price it is a dam good lathe if you are looking to pay any more than that do your self a favor and get the rikkon or a jet.