PDA

View Full Version : IE 7.0, any problems?

Mark Pruitt
11-01-2006, 8:26 PM
When my Windows Update alert appeared tonight, I pursued it and was prompted to install the new IE 7.0. I have not installed it yet. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of anything "unsafe" about it or any reason why perhaps I should hold on to 6.0 for the time being.

Thanks
Mark

Mike Armstrong
11-01-2006, 8:46 PM
A recent experience reminded me [too late] that I have a habit of letting other people be the first to try a new release of something while I sit back and wait for reviews and/or complaints. My bankrupt cable provider Adelphia was recently acquired by Time Warner. I soon got a letter from them telling how to go online and convert my email addresses to new Roadrunner ones. In a moment of weakness, I did, which of course led to all kinds of problems, some not yet resolved. The first Time Warner letter was followed up about a week later with another one which in essence said, "Remember how we told you to upgrade your email right away? [as Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say:] "Never mind!"

I'd wait a while.

Mike

Jeffrey Makiel
11-01-2006, 8:59 PM
At my workplace, we were told by the IT folks not to update to 7.0 just yet. They want to do some testing first. This general software policy comes from years of experience.
-Jeff :)

Mark Pruitt
11-01-2006, 9:24 PM
At my workplace, we were told by the IT folks not to update to 7.0 just yet. They want to do some testing first. This general software policy comes from years of experience.
Jeff, at the hospital we were told as well not to run the update, but our IS folks said the concern was specifically tied to some of the electronic record keeping programs. Well, I'm going to wait at home as well..for a little while at least.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 9:56 PM
Corporate users should lay off for awhile until IE7 is validated to actually work with their business applications.

Personal users...much less risk and even if you swear by Firefox (as I now do...2.0 version even), some of the pundents say that upgrading the IE on your machine to version 7 is a good idea purely for security reasons. And there still are a few sites that won't work properly in Firefox or other browers...I use a FF plugin/extension to deal with those quickly from within Firefox.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Mark,
I loaded it today with no problems. We'll see how it works out over time.

Ken Salisbury
11-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I loaded it last week and have had zero problems so far. I like some of the new features.

Rick Doyle
11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
As the former Manager of a large computer network, I agree 100% with those who would delay installing IE7 on a business network - at least until it is proven stable, reliable and any 'killer' bugs are worked out.

However, I downloaded IE7 and installed it on my three home computers within hours of it's final release. It's great! I haven't had any problems at all.

I also downloaded Firefox 2.0 but didn't care for it as much because it still doesn't correctly display a lot of the websites I like to visit.

Rick

Rick Doyle
11-02-2006, 1:23 AM
I wanted to mention another nice feature of the new IE7 browser. It has to do with the new 'tabs' feature. Let's say you have 5 tabs open displaying 5 different websites. When you want to close the browser by clicking on the red 'X' in the top right-hand corner, you should see a window open asking "do you want to close all tabs"?

In the same window, there is a check box which says "open these the next time I use IE". If you check that box, then the next time you start IE7, all 5 of the websites you open when you closed will reopen in new tabs.

I've found this very useful as I'm usually switching back and forth between 6-10 websites all the time. It's nice to be able to open them with just one click. It works great!

And I know, before you FF afficianados jump all over me, that FF has a similar feature called 'grouped tabs' which allows you to specify which websites to start on launch of the browser.

Rick

Matt Meiser
11-02-2006, 7:50 AM
I've got it on two computers at home with no issues. I love the tabs (which firefox already had.) It is also against our corporate policy to install it in the office yet as there are known issues between it and our web-meeting provider and potential issues between it and our ERP system.

Because of the lag in my satellite internet connection at home, I've gotten in the habit of browsing forums by right clicking a topic and clicking open in new window. Using tabs is much better for that purpose.

Dennis Peacock
11-02-2006, 8:53 AM
I don't have it due to "issues" we've had with it on some computers at work. The version I'm running has done very well, so why change until IE 7.01, which is when the bug fixes will be released for 7.0. :D

Robert Mickley
11-02-2006, 2:06 PM
I don't have it due to "issues" we've had with it on some computers at work. The version I'm running has done very well, so why change until IE 7.01, which is when the bug fixes will be released for 7.0. :D

Aww come on Dennis its Microsoft, the bugs will never be all fixed :D
Personaly I'm on a campaign to get any one I can away from MS all together. Gates has gotten enough of my money over the years, they get no more

Jeffrey Makiel
11-02-2006, 9:31 PM
For my home computer, I use Mozilla Firefox. I started using this browser instead of IE about 2 years ago. Since then, spam, viruses and whatever else have nearly gone away. Perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not.

Mike Wenzloff
11-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Aww come on Dennis its Microsoft, the bugs will never be all fixed :D
Personaly I'm on a campaign to get any one I can away from MS all together. Gates has gotten enough of my money over the years, they get no more
Well, in the last 2 years the oil companies have gotten more out of me than I have paid to MS since the 1980s, but I think I'll keep driving anyway ;)

IE 7 seems pretty stable. I had a couple weirdnesses happen during all but the last of the betas. The release seems fine.

Mike

Bruce Page
11-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I run Win 2000 PRO. IE7 dosen't seem to be an option for my system. :confused:

Frank Fusco
11-03-2006, 9:42 AM
I've been using IE7 for several weeks.
Can't say there are any "problems".
As I posted in the support forum, various icons come and go next to pages saved in my Favorites. The eBay icon can appear next to almost anything. The SMC icon can look like it is supposed to or morph into other strange stuff.
I don't like the new, extra, tab bar. It consumes screen space I would rathr have for viewing what I am viewing. Would like to get rid of it but haven't figured out how yet, if it is possible.

Curt Harms
11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
I wanted to mention another nice feature of the new IE7 browser. It has to do with the new 'tabs' feature. Let's say you have 5 tabs open displaying 5 different websites. When you want to close the browser by clicking on the red 'X' in the top right-hand corner, you should see a window open asking "do you want to close all tabs"?

In the same window, there is a check box which says "open these the next time I use IE". If you check that box, then the next time you start IE7, all 5 of the websites you open when you closed will reopen in new tabs.

I've found this very useful as I'm usually switching back and forth between 6-10 websites all the time. It's nice to be able to open them with just one click. It works great!

And I know, before you FF afficianados jump all over me, that FF has a similar feature called 'grouped tabs' which allows you to specify which websites to start on launch of the browser.

Rick

I WONDERED where Microsoft got that idea ;-)

Lori Kleinberg
11-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Installed IE7 about 2 weeks ago on home computer running Windows XP. No problems. I really like the tab feature, but am still learning some of the other new features.

Steven Wilson
11-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I installed it on my main home computer a couple of weeks ago and it's performed well. Since it's an ODD number release (IE7) from Microsoft it should be OK, it's the even number releases that you need to watch out for :) .

Mike Wenzloff
11-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Frank,

Press and release the ALT key. Your text menus should appear. Select Tools. Select Internet Options. Second from the bottom row of buttons is the Tabs group.

Select the Settings button. Very top checkbox is for enabling the tabs. Uncheck it. Click OK, click Apply. Exit IE and restart IE. Tabs should be gone.

Take care, Mike

Frank Fusco
11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Frank,

Press and release the ALT key. Your text menus should appear. Select Tools. Select Internet Options. Second from the bottom row of buttons is the Tabs group.

Select the Settings button. Very top checkbox is for enabling the tabs. Uncheck it. Click OK, click Apply. Exit IE and restart IE. Tabs should be gone.

Take care, Mike

Thanks. Pressing and releasing ALT didn't do anything but I opened Options from the tool bar. Tabs are gone but that third new toolbar is still there. I'm a KISS principal guy, don't like extra stuff when basics do the job.

Aaron Koehl
11-03-2006, 1:16 PM
I've been using it since IE 7 Beta, without any problems.. Windows XP SP2

There are just a few issues, but outweighed by the improvements.

Robert Mickley
11-03-2006, 1:29 PM
Well, in the last 2 years the oil companies have gotten more out of me than I have paid to MS since the 1980s, but I think I'll keep driving anyway ;)

IE 7 seems pretty stable. I had a couple weirdnesses happen during all but the last of the betas. The release seems fine.

Mike

Yeah but when you by the gas you own it. With microsoft you only paying for the right to use software that some days doesn't operate.

Rick Doyle
11-03-2006, 1:49 PM
..... With microsoft you only paying for the right to use software that some days doesn't operate.
Is that any different than any other software??;)

Robert Mickley
11-04-2006, 10:52 PM
yeah, its a lot differant than open source software, isn't it?
I didn't see any user agreement when I installed Ubuntu.
And the price was a whole lot better :D I can give a Ubuntu install cd to anyone anytime. What happens if MS catches you giving away windows CD's that you copied?

Go ask MS for their source code so you can modify something to suit your individual needs and let me know what the answer is,

Rick Doyle
11-04-2006, 11:19 PM
My comment "Is that any different than any other software??" was meant only in reference to your "software that some days doesn't operate." I guess I should have made my point a bit clearer by stating the Linux systems(Ubuntu), like MS, also have days when they don't operate - it's not like Linux has ever been bug free!

I wouldn't expect MS to give me, or anyone else for that matter, their source code to modify. It's not open source - it's proprietary and for very good business reasons. That's why I don't copy MS CD's except for my own backup purposes.

Frank Hagan
11-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Corporate users should lay off for awhile until IE7 is validated to actually work with their business applications.

This is a good point ... we've received a couple of notices from software vendors that the web portion of their apps are being re-written to accept IE7. Nothing mission critical, but waiting until they have them updated is just good policy.

But at home, I upgraded to Firefox 2.0. Its my primary browser for now, with IE used only for sites that stream video (as IE does that better than Firefox 1.5).

Robert Mickley
11-05-2006, 9:16 AM
I guess I should have made my point a bit clearer by stating the Linux systems(Ubuntu), like MS, also have days when they don't operate - it's not like Linux has ever been bug free!

Sorry, my bad. after going back and rereading I guess I should have caught that.

I'll admit no software is bug free. My point is for what MS charges, and the staff they have available it should be a whole lot better. Granted its come a long way since the early days. But for what they charge and the limits they impose on you, it should be a whole lot better.

Frank Fusco
11-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Sorry, my bad. after going back and rereading I guess I should have caught that.

I'll admit no software is bug free. My point is for what MS charges, and the staff they have available it should be a whole lot better. Granted its come a long way since the early days. But for what they charge and the limits they impose on you, it should be a whole lot better.

Can't argue with that reasoning. MS products should hit the market 99.99999% error free. Their products always have tons of strange quirkies built-in. Methinks their well paid geeks like showing off skills rather than making software simple to use. Often there are multiple ways of accomplishing the same task when just one way would simplify things.
We still have to click "start" to stop. And scroll down to go up.
But, that said, I'm not about to go risking using off-beat experimental software in my computer.

Derek Rose
11-08-2006, 3:54 PM
I run IE7, Firefox2 and Opera simultaneously for web design. IE7 still hasn't reached the "completeness" (if you want to call it that) of Firefox2, but it comes extremely close.

I'm a Programmer/Analyst by trade. It's expected that corporations will tell users to wait to upgrade. Mainly because if there is anything obscure in any part of the code, they don't want anything coming to a crashing halt. And the one thing that causes that crash may not be triggered by IE7, but the software they run in-house.

My $0.02

Jon Fowler
11-19-2006, 6:20 PM
I have been running IE as a Beta release and immediately upgraded to the final release as soon as it came out. The positive benefits far out weigh the negatives.

I am currently rolling it out to over 250 corporate computers with confidence. The download and install times vary from one computer to the other so pay close attention to the installation messages and be patient. You will have to reboot your computer and it will take a few minutes after rebooting for IE7 to finish configuring.

Mark Pruitt
11-25-2006, 8:24 AM
I finally installed IE 7 a couple nights ago. This is more of a learning curve than I expected. (I had not seen any of the 7.0 changes yet.) I don't know why they had to get rid of the "main" toolbar--the one that says File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help. I use Edit and Cut/Copy/Paste all the time and could not find it last night. I finally found it under a button that said "Page." This is going to take some time to get used to, and yeah some of the new features are nice but I'd rather have 6. Guess I'm just gonna suck it up and get used to the changes. No point in fighting progress, eh?:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Mark...just turn the tool bar back on.

Rick Doyle
11-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi Mark,

You can get the "File, Edit, View etc...." toolbar back in IE7 by clicking on "Tools", then "Menu Bar" - that will restore the "file" toolbar for you, o.k.

rick

Mark Pruitt
11-26-2006, 8:22 AM
OK, that was easy enough. Kinda helps when you know where to look.:o

Jeff Wright
11-26-2006, 9:19 AM
Whenever I do anything like install new software or uninstall a program I create a restore point so that if I need to I can return to the state of the computer prior to my change. To do that:

Click the START button . . . then click HELP AND SUPPORT . . . then under the heading PICK A TASK select UNDO CHANGES TO YOUR COMPUTER WITH SYSTEM RESTORE . . . then hit the CREATE A RESTORE POINT option and hit the NEXT button . . . enter a name for your self-created restore point (something like "Install Explorer Version 7") . . . then click the CREATE button.

This will create a rollback point in time to return your hard drive back to where it was prior to your install.

Note: I am not a certified Microsoft technician . . . but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn last night!

Rick Doyle
11-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Jeff,

That's an excellent suggestion about the 'restore point'. It sure can save an awful lot of grief and frustration if a software install goes awry.

It's a good idea to have the OS setup to create automatic restore points too - it's pretty much defaulted to automatically do this. Last week, I went over to friend's house to have a look at his computer because he said it wasn't working properly. That was an understatement! One of his kid's had downloaded something that had caused a virus to pretty much mess up his entire system. His anti-virus program wasn't working and I wasn't able to find an easy way to remove the virus. It was a pretty nasty one!

So, I decided to use System Restore to put the computer back to where it was a week earlier - before the problems occurred. Voila! It worked perfectly - no more virus problem and it only took a few minutes.

System Restore doesn't affect any files you have created such as Word, Excel etc. since the last restore - they are all still present after the restore. It's a great feature and works just fine.

Rick