PDA

View Full Version : First Lathe...Jet Mini

Greg Koch
11-01-2006, 6:23 PM
First off, I want to thank all those who answered my questions, and offered their advice, with a special thanks to Scott Donley. Scott took multiple tel calls, spent what must be hours on the phone, listening to my rambling questions, giving me advice, tips, cautions and keeping me encouraged to get into this spinny thing! Thanks a bunch, Scott!

Now to the lathe...I have gone back and forth on what to get, checked craigslist, missed one, Amazon sales, Rockler's new sale lathe, Wookcraft's sale Rikon (which I came very close to getting), and backed off several times. This morning, I remembered Western Tool Supply, and checked there site. Noticed the little button for "Flyers & Specials". I opened it up, flipped a few pages and didn't see much. Finally on page 13, there was the Jet Mini on sale. I called, they had them in stock, so I decided if I am going to do this...now is the time. I drove to their Woodinville, WA store and picked it up this afternoon. $209.00!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Jetminibox.png (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Jetminibox.png)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Jetmini.png (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Jetmini.png)

I'm excited to get going, but have to get some turning tools first. I'll be doing some consulting on Friday, about 2 miles from a Rockler store, so I'll be stopping in there to see what I can find.

I hope I have not made a big mistake.....:D :D

Scott Donley
11-01-2006, 7:06 PM
Nice Score Greg and a great price ! Now ya just gotta make some chips :D

Chris Barton
11-01-2006, 7:11 PM
That's a great machine, you won't have any buyers remorse over that.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2006, 7:30 PM
Greg,

I've been turning on a Jet Mini since March. Next year when I upgrade to a larger machine, this one will be kept for smaller projects. Pleased owner, I am!

Greg Koch
11-01-2006, 7:34 PM
Chips? Oh, yeah...now I need some more tools...and then I have to get something to keep them sharp... Then, the face plate will need to be replaced with a chuck... Oh, and something to shape, too! And then, I'll need a stand...and then...and then... :eek: :eek:

I thought a boat was a black hole! :D

Seriously, I think this is gonna be fun and relaxing, most of the time. Lots to learn, and lots of practice. Thank goodness for this forum!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2006, 7:39 PM
Greg..........I didn't realize you're just getting started turning. There goes all of you surplus time and money! You will notice that you smile a whole lot more! From bonkers, to weed pots, to bowls, to spindles, to pepper grinders, to bottlestoppers, to pens, to NE bowls.........it's a constant application of previously learned techniques and increasing your skills and techniques! It's addictive! It's nearly instant gratification and highly ......NO!......Very Highly Addictive! Enjoy the journey!

Mark Pruitt
11-01-2006, 7:59 PM
I'll need a stand...
Greg,
In THIS (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45083) thread, take a look at the posts by Bob Noles and Nancy Laird. They each have their mini lathe on well-designed stands.

Corey Hallagan
11-01-2006, 8:37 PM
Excellent lathe and congrats! I think you will enjoy it. Here is the stand I built for my mini lathe. It includes 2 drawers for storage of turning materials and tools and more.

corey

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2006, 9:06 PM
Greg congrats on the lathe. Now it is time to have some fun. Enjoy.

Greg Koch
11-02-2006, 2:55 AM
Thanks for the stand info and pics. Very nice. I've copied them for reference, and will see what I can do.

One question...how high are they? I'm only 5' 8", but have rods in my back after a car accident. I like benches a bit higher than normal so my back stays straighter. No pain, but just gets stiff if I have to hunch too much. Not having used a lathe before, besides a few times as a kid, I'm not sure what height the lathe should be for proper turning.

Greg

Mark Pruitt
11-02-2006, 8:13 AM
Thanks for the stand info and pics. Very nice. I've copied them for reference, and will see what I can do.

One question...how high are they? I'm only 5' 8", but have rods in my back after a car accident. I like benches a bit higher than normal so my back stays straighter. No pain, but just gets stiff if I have to hunch too much. Not having used a lathe before, besides a few times as a kid, I'm not sure what height the lathe should be for proper turning.

Greg
Greg,
With your having said that, I would defer to the advice of a doctor or nurse-practitioner in either neurology or orthopedics. My sense, though, is that your solution needs to be arrived at by standing in various "wood turning" postures with tool in hand, and taking note of where the tool rest would be. Then use this as a guideline to determine the best height for the stand. All you would need to know is the distance from the foot of the machine to the tool rest. Of course, this can't be exact science, because even the tool rest itself is raised/lowered for various operations (inside of bowl vs. outside; gouge vs. skew with spindles, etc.). Still, you should be able to reach a general ideal height through this exercise.

Or, just copy Nancy's stand. It will ascend or descend to whatever height you wish. Pretty awesome thing. She really ought to try and publish it.:)

Mark Cothren
11-02-2006, 8:33 AM
Congratulations Greg!

Mark Patoka
11-02-2006, 9:25 AM
Congrats Greg, you're going to like that lathe. If you don't have one already, might as well start looking for a grinder to go with your tools. Having a sharp tool is essential otherwise you're not going to enjoy your new toy.