PDA

View Full Version : Spacing a drawer front???

Jim Hoelzel
11-01-2006, 5:21 PM
I am getting ready to install my drawer fronts on my kitchen cabinets. These face frame-LESS, and inset about 3/4 in. and will be solid R.O. 1/4 sawn.

What do you use for spacing for something like this?

I was thing a coin, nickle or quarter???

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 5:25 PM
Ah...depends on the species and your annual MC swing. The current issue of Fine Woodworking (December 2006 on page 78) has an excellent article on calculating the right size. "nickle or dime" really is going to be hit or miss over time. DAMHIKT!

Jim Hoelzel
11-01-2006, 5:29 PM
Sounds good to me! I will shoot for the dime and hope to hit the nickle:).

Thanks Jim

Steve Roxberg
11-01-2006, 10:55 PM
I often use the Formica samples, get about eight of the same color and they all have the same thickness. About 1/16. I then use them around the edges to space the drawer.

Lee Schierer
11-02-2006, 7:57 PM
Color me cheap, but I always use a penny. It gets the spacing even and if I drop one that rolls to some hidden corner I'm not out much. I've yet to have a problem with fit due to seasonal MC swings.

Make sure you place some weight in the drawer when you are doing the line up so that the drawer is riding in its loaded position. This can make a significant difference on some drawers and slides.

Dick Latshaw
11-02-2006, 8:58 PM
My wife had a ton of business cards left over from her days as a realtor. I use two or three for spacing on all four sides. Lot easier to grab than a coin. (I'm talking Florida so there is not a significant moisture content swing as the seasons change.)

glenn bradley
11-03-2006, 5:23 PM
I use old CD's or the ones that come free in the mail for all sorts of shimming jobs. Drawer spacing is one of them. I'm in SoCal and don't have wide seasonal swings so wood movement is present but, not extreme.