PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lures

Chris Jenkins
11-01-2006, 4:22 PM
Hey all,

The holidays are coming and I'd really like to learn to turn a few fishing lures for my father. Does anyone have any good sources of info or plan on how to do this?

I saw the Penn State catalog not to long ago with a few designs, which is wear I got the idea, so I already know they have kits.

I think fishing lures made by hand are tradtionally carved and not turned, but I figured I'd give it a try. Not to mention I don't have any carving tools or skills (guess I may have to expand my WW horizons:rolleyes: )

Chris

Jonathon Spafford
11-01-2006, 4:49 PM
I've never watched the movie, but you might check out Son of Skew by Alan Lacer... that has something on lures in it!!

Chris Jenkins
11-01-2006, 5:05 PM
Jon,

Funny you mention that. I just saw "Son of Skew" about 2 weeks ago. Alan shows you how to make a frog shaped plug. My plans for now are to make a good 6 or 8 different designs if I can. Hence why I'm looking for a book or movie or something. Thanks

Frank Fusco
11-01-2006, 6:07 PM
The kits being offered for fishing lures are, IMHO, outrageously expensive. Some are around $15.00. You can buy new lures for $5.00 and under then dissassemble and make your own. Or flush out the flea markets and garage sales. I haven't turned any but knew folks who once owned a lure company. The time consuming part is painting.

Lou Morrissette
11-01-2006, 6:54 PM
Chris,

Woodworker's Journal/ June 2004 has plans for turned fishing lures . If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Lou

Bill Kay
11-02-2006, 5:37 AM
Hi,

I have been making my own plugs since the late 50's.

You don't need a kit to make those plugs and lures. A small piece of wood, a little wire and some paint will get it done.

Shoot me a PM for links with more info

SeYa .....

Chris Jenkins
11-02-2006, 1:28 PM
Lou,
I don't have woodworkers journal that go back as far back as 2004. Can you please PM or email me what you have. Thanks

Lou Morrissette
11-02-2006, 4:10 PM
Chris,
Sent you an email.

Lou

terry miller
11-02-2006, 4:12 PM
You can find all the accessories for making them here (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com).

They have all of the hooks, paint and hook holders you will need as well as give you some style ideas.

Royce Meritt
11-03-2006, 2:23 PM
The kits being offered for fishing lures are, IMHO, outrageously expensive. Some are around $15.00. You can buy new lures for $5.00 and under then dissassemble and make your own. Or flush out the flea markets and garage sales. I haven't turned any but knew folks who once owned a lure company. The time consuming part is painting.

The kits offered by Penn State may or may not be expensive depending upon your point of view. However, these kits include the hardware to make 10 lures but not the wood.

I agree with Terry. Janns Netcraft has everything you need if you want to go "kitless".