PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bernie, ? on Rikon tool rest

Jerry Ingraham
11-01-2006, 3:09 PM
I've noticed that the webbing on the bottom of my Rikon tool rest seems to interfere with a lot of my turnings when I'm trying to reach inside a bowl. Have you experienced this? If I'm turning say, a 5" deep bowl and turn the rest somewhat parallel to the ways, it rubs on the lip of the bowl. I'm thinking of relieving some of the webbing or maybe I could build a round bar tool rest instead. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Mark Pruitt
11-01-2006, 5:59 PM
...I do have a Rikon. I have the Sorby Modular Tool Rest System which does not present the issues you're having with the stock tool rest. My suggestion is to leave your tool rest intact and go with an aftermarket round-bar-type tool rest. The Sorby system components are sold individually; you need a 5/8" stem.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2006, 9:16 PM
Hey Jerry I just built some tool rests to work around that problem kinda like the Sorby modular. A lot cheaper though. Like them better anyway. Here is a picture of the ones my buddy the welder made for $8 each. The stem is 5/8" and the tool rest itself is 3/4" steel. One is a 4" straight for small stuff, a 9" straight and a 10" with 6 inches on the curved side. Also in the picture is the square and big round scraper I bought from PSI. Sorby makes a good modular system like Mark is talking about.

Jerry Ingraham
11-02-2006, 2:54 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll ask my welder buddy to build me several variations also. Other than that, I LOVE this Rikon!