PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Sander

Dave Richards
11-01-2006, 2:42 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the 15-220 Benchtop Spindle Sander from General?

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 3:09 PM
Not with the General, but I really do find having one to be quite useful. It gets employed a lot more than I ever imagined. The only downside to the one I have is that the table doesn't tilt...that would be useful for some work.

John Bush
11-01-2006, 3:21 PM
Hi Jim,
What type of spindle sander do you have and what brand/features would you recommend? We chatted a few days ago in regard to edge sanders and how nice it would be to have an oscillating component with a spindle attached. I'm considering getting a spindle sander and was wondering if the "BOSS" variety is good for a hobbiest, or if stepping up to the larger floor models is necessary? Thanks, John.

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 4:17 PM
John, I have the BOSS. It works well and has a cast iron table. Dust collection is good. The only downsides for me is, as I mentioned, no tilting table and some other machines have smaller spindle options. I actually found mine "used" in a ReTool store a number of years ago...with maybe 10 minutes of use as far as I could tell.

Andy Hoyt
11-01-2006, 4:29 PM
I've got the big Jet floor model and love it. I bought it for one specific application and it has since become a frequent go-to tool for lots of stuff. Having a tilting table is essential.

Art Mulder
11-01-2006, 4:36 PM
So, this is a bit of a side question... I'm curious, how does a spindle sander compare to something like the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander. Is it less versatile? Serves a different need?
At first glance, it seems to me that the Ridgid (or similar) might be more versatile.

...art

Keith Outten
11-01-2006, 5:01 PM
John,

The Boss is a good machine but the Jet benchtop spindle sander is the better value IMO. The jet has a tilting top and a larger motor I believe. I own the Jet and it is a sweet machine, of course the larger floor models are better :)

I also own an edge sander and I have to say that both machines have made sanding chores in my shop much easier and are a must have for any woodworking shop.

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 5:19 PM
I agree with Keith...'just the Jet wasn't in existence when I got the BOSS. And at the time I had a nearly all Jet shop.

Howie French
11-01-2006, 5:49 PM
I have the Jet bench model as well, very usefull machine

Howie

Bart Leetch
11-01-2006, 6:47 PM
I have the Jet benchtop spindle sander & it is the better value IMO. The jet has a tilting top and a larger motor for sure.

Chris Barton
11-01-2006, 7:08 PM
So, this is a bit of a side question... I'm curious, how does a spindle sander compare to something like the Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander. Is it less versatile? Serves a different need?
At first glance, it seems to me that the Ridgid (or similar) might be more versatile.

...art

I have this sander and have been using it for about 4 years. While not perfect it is nearly impossible to beat for the price. You won't be sorry if what you want to use it for is hobbiest type load. Under heavy use it might not cut the butter but, that's complete speculation. Mine has been the best $100 I ever spent in the shop.

Jeffrey Makiel
11-01-2006, 7:40 PM
Another feature to note about the Jet is that it can take an optional 3" dia spindle that most portables can't. I found that I use the 3" spindle on my drill press the most. I've been lickin' my chops to get one of these gizmos.
cheers, Jeff :)

Sam Chambers
11-01-2006, 9:31 PM
I have this sander and have been using it for about 4 years. While not perfect it is nearly impossible to beat for the price. You won't be sorry if what you want to use it for is hobbiest type load. Under heavy use it might not cut the butter but, that's complete speculation. Mine has been the best $100 I ever spent in the shop.
I agree, Chris. I have one of the older "gray" units (pre-Ryobi), and the Ridgid is a versatile unit that works well for me. I know some people have reported problems with the table not being square to the spindle, but mine is fine. The only issue I've had is that it's hard to find sleeves the right size for the spindle sander. Home Depot stocks the Ryobi-brand sleeves, but they're just a shade too big. One of these days I'll order a bunch from Ridgid.

Howie French
11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
where is a good place to buy replacement sleeves ?

Larry Rose
11-02-2006, 7:07 AM
Art, I've had the Rigid sander for 3-4 years and it does a fair job as a flat sander but in the spindle sander mode it is a little too lite duty and as mentioned , it's hard to keep the table at 90 degrees to the spindle or the flat sander. I just bought the Jet oss and it is much heavier duty than the Rigid. However, I plan to keep the Rigid and leave it set up in the flat mode.

Mark Patoka
11-02-2006, 8:50 AM
I have both the Delta BOSS and the Ridgid. I would say the Delta is more heavy-duty than the Ridgid. The built-in dust collection bag doesn't work very well on mine but a shopvac or DC hookup works fine.

Last year I picked up the Ridgid when I needed to do a lot of edge-sanding. It meets my needs but still haven't been able to get the table to an exact 90 degrees. The belt also has a tendency to not stay on track very long and the adjustment knob is a little loose. I haven't used the dedicated spindle sander attachment yet but it was convenient to use both the edge and the spindle portion of the belt for some pieces that had both curved and straight sections. Saved moving between two machines.

As Chris said, the Ridgid meets the hobbiest need and what I need. I haven't tried any other brands so can't compare those.

Al Willits
11-02-2006, 9:12 AM
So, keeping the word "Hobbyist" in mind, would one be better to buy a combination unit belt/spindle set up, or go with one dedicated to either spindle or belt?
Consider cost also, as some of us (me anyway) do not have unlimited funds and have to be a bit frugal.

Al

Dave Richards
11-02-2006, 9:19 AM
So I guess the answer is, "No." :D

Mark Singer
11-02-2006, 9:51 AM
I have the Jet and the answer is "Yes" you can play with it when you get here:rolleyes:

Al Willits
11-02-2006, 9:52 AM
Sorry for the hijack, but maybe try and be a bit more specific?
:D :D :D :D :D

See ya Sat.

Al

Dave Richards
11-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks Mark. I might do that.

Al, I was only asking if anyone had experience with the General spindle sander I listed. Evidently no one who posted has had any experience with it so it would seem the answer to the question was "no."

See you Saturday Al. ;)

John Hedges
11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I looked at the General which a local store had on display next to the Jet. Seemed like very comparable machines. The General appeared to be very well made. However it has a max spindle size of 2" so the nod still goes to the Jet in my book.