PDA

View Full Version : Chisels

John Powers
11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I've tried it the Ebay route and the Flea market route. What do I have to show for it? Got a beautiful Swan with lots of blade and nice handle. Got some old Bucks that shapren up like a razor. But ultimately I want tools to work on a boat or projects and looking back, with shipping and gas, going to the store and the catalog for me would have been the way to go; might still be as I can't take my eyes off the Tools for Working Wood AI Butt Chisels. I think I did OK with Stanley Planes between Ebay and Craigslist and someone on another site but putting together a nice set of chisels is another story. I don't turn so handles are another issue. I have started hitting garage sales on Saturday morning. I think older homes with older couples moving out may be the place to score that complete set of Stanley Everlasts but I think someone getting into woodworking should question the Ebay advice.

Robert Rozaieski
11-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I looked on ebay for months and for the condition that the chisels were in, I could not justify spending $20-$30 apiece to have to rehandle, flatten, regrind, de-rust, etc. It seems that chisel prices on ebay have gone through the roof for useable chisels that need work, never mind ones that are in good condition. I usually recommend and use ebay for most of my hand tool purchases, but after my frustration finding good chisels for good prices, I won't bother looking there for chisels anymore!:mad:

My solution...Ashles Isles from The Best Things - http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/ashley_iles_bench.htm. I love the london pattern handle that has come on Sorby chisels for years but have heard horror stories about Sorby's steel. I had heard nothing but good things about the AI steel and after some searching I found them in a London pattern handle at The Best Things. The handles are the same ones on the Sorby's - the exact same ones without the Sorby name or brass ring, from the same maker. They are graduated to the size of the chisel (actually 3 different sizes of the 5 offered by the maker are used by AI). Lee sells the AI butt chisels, standard chisels and these London pattern chisels. And for about the price of 5 LN chisels, I got a set of 11 AI chisels. And they arrived the day after I placed my order! :D

My opinion...I love them. The chisels are well balanced, the handles are very comfortable and the steel is superb. I am 100% satisfied. They come flat and sharp and only need minor honing. They hold an edge incredibly well and they look great too. Absolutely no regrets. I highly recommend them. I got the rosewood handles but they come in boxwood as well. Money very well spent. Now I just need the 1/2" Ray Ilses mortise chisel to complement the 1/4" and 3/8" ones I have, but that's another subject;) !

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/graphics/ashley_iles_boxwood.jpg

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 1:02 PM
I'm pleased with my Ashley Iles chisels, too, although my handles are very different from those shown in Robert's post. Mine are smooth and rounded bubinga. (ToolsForWorkingWood.com was my source, although I picked them up in person while in NYC on business)

Kelly Anderson
11-01-2006, 7:58 PM
Great this is just in time! I have been trying to decide on a set of GOOD chisels. I just about have it down to the Lie-Nielsen or the Ashley Isles from The Best Things. I keep going back and forth because of the great reputation of both companys. I really like the style of the LNs, but for less money I can get 11 AIs. It is good to hear good things about the AI because I haven't seen very much about them.

Ken Bryant
11-01-2006, 8:52 PM
The handles of the LN fit my hand really well (just to give equal time to the competition!). I haven't tried the AI, so I can't compare.

The ones I covet (again, though, just from reputation and pictures -- I haven't tried them) are the Barr:

http://barrtools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BST&Category_Code=CMCS

Mike Henderson
11-01-2006, 9:12 PM
In a bit more modest price range, the Hirsch chisels offered at Lee Valley are good. If you prefer a harder steel, the Japanese chisels offered by Grizzly are also good.

Mike

Jeff Borges
11-02-2006, 12:59 AM
have the complete set. they hold an edge well. I did however have one thing happen... I honed them all and began using the 3/4 to clean out some mortises, turns out.. the tip wasn't the only sharp part. so I grabbed a small stone and deburred the edges.

As for chisels.. they hold an edge well. I am a carpenter by trade and have tried many brands. For inexpensive chisels, the marples ( I believe irwin now?) are a pretty good product. long blades pretty strong handles (and I don't cringe so much if I hit a nail!!!!:eek:)

as for the Ashley Isles handles, the squarish sides would keep the on the bench better....

Wood is good!

Bob Hallowell
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a few old stanleys and witherby's I picked up on ebay, and flea markets all less than 8 bucks apiece and they have all been great. took me about a year but I saved a bundle and have very nice chisels. I have about 15 in all. For new chisels I like the price and the quality of the mhg chisels. I own a mortise and a set of skews. They may not be on par with LN or AI but the price is really good and they hold an edge very well. If you don't need the box you can get a set of 6 for $89.

Bob

Dennis McDonaugh
11-02-2006, 12:43 PM
You guys sound like you think you can own only ONE set of chisels!:eek: Of course that's not possible, any home woodworker knows that. Uneducated professionals have the idea that one set will work, but what do they know?

I started with a set of plastic handled Nogistdat or whatever they're called. Sharpened up nicely and held the edge well, but holy cow bright orange handles! What's any self respecting woodworker to do but replace them, well not replace them. I retired them to "rough" carpentry. I bought a set of Crown chisels from Woodcraft and while they looked nice, they took a lot of work to flatten the back and they don't hold an edge all that well.

Then I decided to go the vintage chisel route on e-bay and low balled 750's, 720,s and both plastic and wood handled Everlasting chisels. After seven years I almost have a complete set of all four types at a fairly low investment, but I still don't have a whole set of any of them. BTW, they all sharpen nicely and hold a good edge, but not a whole lot better than the Noogies.

During this seven year period I got tired of waiting for a whole set to come along so I sprung for the Two Cherries, but they had the same problem the Crown chisels had. Namely the backs were crowned because of the polishing. I flattened one chisel before calling it quits and gave the set my oldest son. That one chisel was nice and held its edge well so I guess I'd recommend them if you don't mind the set up work.

I still want SET so when LN came out with theirs I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a set of them, but wow they come in a lot of sizes. I decided to just buy the 1/8, 3/8, 5/8 and 7/8 sizes so I still don't have the whole set.

Along about this time I saw something about NOS Buck paring and cranked neck paring chisels. Supposed to be old steel left over from the '60s and really good. Well, I can't buy them with all these other chisels laying about or LOML will kill me. She already looks around suspiciously every time she comes into the garage, errr shop trying to see what's new.

So I give the Crown chisels to my son-in-law since he is not a woodworker, but a homeowner and may have use of a chisel now and then. I told him to send it back to me and I'd sharpen it when it needed it. Then I sent the plastic Everlasting chisels to my middle son who is in the process of buying a house. That still leaves the Everlasts, 720s and 750s and the two 740s that I got for $15 each. Maybe I can get a whole set of them one day. I've got one more son-in-law and my youngest son to foist an almost complete set on when the time comes. I think its workable.

So there you have it. Proof that you cannot own only one set of chisels.

Doug Littlejohn
11-03-2006, 1:33 PM
LIke Jim, I got the AI's with the rounded Bubinga handles and man, there is just no substitute for a really fine, well made, quality handtool. I have a set of the Blue Marples, Nootendaghits, Buck crank necks, Sorby Mortise (good stell on these but poor on the regular, go figure) and an assortment of various old time good cast steel chisels.

All of these work fairly well, but not even remotely in the same league as the AI's. The set of 5 is around $140 shipped and yes they arrive really fast.

While it took me a long time to finally pull the trigger, I am so glad I did. Next up however is going to be a set of Chesters DT chisels from BlueSpruce. These have to be seen to be believed. I'll have to save for some time, but I will get a set to compliment the chisels I have which should then put my in pretty good shape.

Sherwood

Dave Anderson NH
11-03-2006, 3:03 PM
I bought a set of the LN about 18 months ago and love them. The arrises on the edges are very sharp though so I often wear a glove on one hand to prevent small nicks and cuts.

Dennis McDonaugh
11-06-2006, 8:58 AM
I bought a set of the LN about 18 months ago and love them. The arrises on the edges are very sharp though so I often wear a glove on one hand to prevent small nicks and cuts.

ditto on the sharp edges. I ended up with little cuts all over the inside of my fore finger before I figured out what was happening.

Mike Wenzloff
11-06-2006, 9:05 AM
...DT chisels from BlueSpruce. These have to be seen to be believed.

Someone mention Dave Jeske's Blue Spruce DT chisels?

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/bspruce_0002.jpg

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/bspruce_0003.jpg

Use 'em everyday. The steel is tops, Dave Jeske's work impeccable.

Take care, Mike

Mark Singer
11-06-2006, 11:49 AM
There are some really good chisels mentioned...I find a variety is best. Learning to use and sharpen correctly makes a very big difference. I have seen Japanese chisels sharpened with a hollow bevel and that is not correct sinc the bottom is hollowed...So like most things care and use are critical and that is just practice and asking others...I have many fine Japanese chisels , Lie Neilsens and many vintage ones...some are beaters and many are saved for fine work..