PDA

View Full Version : confusion on bow gouge sizes

Frank Fusco
11-01-2006, 11:13 AM
I have several bowl gouges. The largest two measure .642" and .500" for the shafts. Both are Henry Taylor. So far, so good. BUT both are labeled as 3/8" bowl gouges. :eek: Wassup? :confused: I have a couple others also where the actual size doesn't resemble the stated size for the gouge.
My smallest measures .200" on the shaft, I don't know what size it is supposed to be. Doesn't matter. It is so soft that it bends with first touch to wood and is useless. I can bend it with my fingers. BTW, it is a Marples brand, which I thought was supposed to be good quality.

Dario Octaviano
11-01-2006, 11:37 AM
There are 2 "standards" The British/English uses the flute measurement (please confirm this). American uses the bar diameter.

For example:
1/2" American = 3/8" British
5/8" American = 1/2" British

Frank Fusco
11-01-2006, 1:00 PM
There are 2 "standards" The British/English uses the flute measurement (please confirm this). American uses the bar diameter.

For example:
1/2" American = 3/8" British
5/8" American = 1/2" British

Thanks. I saw the 'similar threads' at the bottom and looked there also.
Actually, I'm not even interested in understanding the system now. If it works, it works. That's what counts. Still, when a company (Henry Taylor) labels two distinctly different sizes as the same, it could drive a guy to take up knitting. ;)

Anthony Yakonick
11-01-2006, 7:31 PM
Are you sure they are both bowl gouges? Just to confuse you more, bowl and spindle gouges are measured differently.