PDA

View Full Version : Another Noob Question:Gouges

Guy Germaine
11-01-2006, 5:39 AM
I would like to try turning a bowl. If I could have only one bowl gouge, what would it be? I don't want to dump a ton of cash into a whole set right now. Just looking for something to get me started.

Bob Noles
11-01-2006, 6:13 AM
Benjemin's Best 3/8 from Penn State Industries would be a good and economical starter.

Sean Troy
11-01-2006, 8:14 AM
The artisian gouges at Craft Supplies are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. That being said, I have not tried the Penn state BB gouges yet.

Dario Octaviano
11-01-2006, 8:33 AM
Depends on what sized lathe you have...which tells what sized turnings you will be making.

FYI. There are 2 ways to determine bowl gouge size. American is using the actual diameter of the rod. British/English is using another that says the size is smaller than what American standard does. I.e. 5/8" English = 3/4" American, 3/8" English = 1/2" American, etc. So check before buying.

I used to love my 1/2" bowl gouge until I got a bigger lathe. Now I am drawn more to the 5/8" (both using American standard).

I am also tight on the budget but bought the best value I can get. Best is relative but my research led me to Crown ProPM. Of course others will disagree but that is what I did. Hope this helps a bit.

There are much experiennced turners here who will give you better advice.

Mark Cothren
11-01-2006, 9:05 AM
If I could use only one? 1/2" for me... I also use a 3/8" and 5/8"... and here's a vote for P&N unhandled... the price is right and you can put the handle on 'em that you want.

Frank Fusco
11-01-2006, 9:30 AM
Guy asked: " I would like to try turning a bowl. If I could have only one bowl gouge, what would it be?"
Answer: The first one you find cheap at a garage sale.
Really.
But, if I had to buy just one, it would probably be a 1". It is my 'almost everything' tool, from pens up.
Second tool, a 1" skew.

Charles E. Martin V
11-01-2006, 9:49 AM
Frank you use a 1" bowl gouge?

Mark Pruitt
11-01-2006, 9:55 AM
Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge. It's my favorite of all my tools. I also have a 1/4" and would definitely not purchase it again--not stout enough. But you can't go wrong with a 1/2". Put a swept-back grind (aka Irish Grind) on it and it can do wonders. Two good prices:
http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_tgouges.htm

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H0492

Frank Fusco
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Frank you use a 1" bowl gouge?

I must not have been sufficiently caffined up when I read that, completely missed the "bowl" part. :o
Nope, no one-incher. Doesn't matter, I'm not very good with bowl gouges not matter the size.

Mike Vickery
11-01-2006, 11:01 AM
3/8 P&N irish grind.

A good all purpose gouge that wont break the bank.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I only have one bowl gouge..............a good quality 3/8" with an Irish grind.

Paul Engle
11-01-2006, 11:07 AM
I got a super flute 3/8" from Henery Taylor and I really like it . I also got a 1/2 spindle from Henery Taylor and it almost works as good as the bowl gouge on bowls and is super on spindle and face turnings. The new Kyro should last a bit longer in the sharpening dept as the new process makes for longer lasting edge. If you are sharpening free hand this would be something to look into as any good tool steel will hold the grind well and quick touch up is all you need if turning a lot of DRY ( choke choke) stuff, which will wear down the edge quicker. :eek:

Travis Stinson
11-01-2006, 11:11 AM
My go-to gouge for just about everything, a Crown 1/2" bowl gouge with an Irish/Ellsworth grind.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2006, 12:19 PM
You can get a 1/2" and 3/8" Benjamins Best from PSI for $31 for both. I got both of them put a Ellsworth grind on them and they have did well for me. Now I have a Crown 1/2" and a P & N 1/2" & 3/8" with the Irish/Ellsworth grinds on them.

Andy Hoyt
11-01-2006, 12:30 PM
If only one? Man! Talk about self induced torture!

I really like my 3/8" Mastercut with a grind of mixed Lithuanian and Argentinian heritage and it's the one I'd keep if forced to dump the others.

Guy Germaine
11-01-2006, 1:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I just ordered a 1/2" and a 3/8" from PSI. That should get me started making shavings and projectiles!:eek: :D

Bob Noles
11-01-2006, 1:14 PM
Thanks everyone. I just ordered a 1/2" and a 3/8" from PSI. That should get me started making shavings and projectiles!:eek: :D

But.. but.... you said just "one" :D :p

Guy Germaine
11-02-2006, 7:29 AM
They're like Lay's potatoe chips; you can't have just one!:rolleyes:
After reading through several threads, I decided to go ahead and get both right away. These should take care of me for quite a while. Once I learn, and build some confidence, I can add to the set.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-02-2006, 8:09 AM
I would like to try turning a bowl. If I could have only one bowl gouge, what would it be? I don't want to dump a ton of cash into a whole set right now. Just looking for something to get me started.Guy, do I understand correctly that you may not have any turning tools or do you currently have others than the bowl gouge? If the answer is none then try the HF turning tool set for arround $50. That way you can have most all the basic tools you will need and they arn't bad. I haven't found anything I can't turn with them except deep HFs.:)