PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl Bowl

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2003, 8:48 PM
This a box elder burl bowl which is 9 3/4 inches wide and 5 inches tall. It was finished with a mixture of Tung oil, poly, and turpentine, and then Bealed. It was heavely spalted, had to put a lot of thin CA glue on to be able to turn it. I got this burl up in Montana this past summer. Hope you like it.

Jim Becker
10-24-2003, 9:27 PM
Yum!!! "Burly-burl" turnings are my favorite, I think...they just have so much character and are worth the efforts, trials and tribulations that sometimes enter into working with them. And just like a piece made with awesome spalting and/or figure, burls catch folks' eyes...which is a good thing should you decide to sell them. They will invariable bring in higher prices easier since they don't look like "just another hunk of wood".

(I like that Picasso "Starry, Starry Night" figure on the inside of this one, too...)

Great job on this one, Glenn!!! :)

Scott Greaves
10-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi Glenn,

Beautiful! I really like the color you were able to get. Did the finish seem to darken it. It's got such a nice rich look to it!

Scott.

Matt Bridges
10-26-2003, 10:27 PM
That is absolutely beautiful!

Matt

Tom Sontag
10-28-2003, 2:50 PM
(I like that Picasso "Starry, Starry Night" figure on the inside of this one, too...)

Great job on this one, Glenn!!! :)

Uh, Jim, Starry Night is Van Gogh.

Beautiful bowl Glenn.

Doug Jones
10-28-2003, 5:12 PM
Very, very nice bowl, beautiful color. You couldn't of picked a better way of turning it.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-28-2003, 5:17 PM
Very nice Bowl Glenn. Burl is just so interesting..........and it makes wonderful turnings. You did Mother Nature proud with this one! Thanks for sharing your work! ;)

Ace Karner
10-28-2003, 7:11 PM
Just how much "Inspiration" do you guys out there think this newby turner can stand. LOL

I sure hope that I can post of pic of something that nice some day.

Phil Phelps
10-28-2003, 8:34 PM

Beautiful bowl Glenn.

Of course it's Van Gogh !!!!! You can see the ear in the bottom of the bowl :p

Jim Becker
10-28-2003, 10:44 PM

Doh!!.................

Glenn Hodges
10-29-2003, 11:26 AM
I appreciate your nice comments about the bowl. I feel the reason it is such a nice piece is the beautiful wood I was able to get, but thanks for your inspirational comments. I'll keep trying...

Mike Tubbs
10-29-2003, 8:18 PM
Nice work Glenn.

I was wondering though what happened to Jim Peckers picture............oooohhh scary.