PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for New Toyls

Tyler Howell
10-31-2006, 9:13 PM
I've been looking around for a work Vehicle for the new spread and I stumbled on this.
http://www.bobcat.com/products/twm/index.html (http://www.bobcat.com/products/twm/index.html)

Anyone seen them??
How long they been around.
And now the big one. How much$$$$:confused:
I've been surfing and can only find info from the manufacturer.
Looks kinda cool.

Joe Mioux
10-31-2006, 9:27 PM
tyler that may be of overkill for a private residence.

The landscapers I sell to have all kinds of Bobcats. I love driving them, but they are expensive. The cheapest skid steer that one of my friends own sells for $20K and the most expensive is around $50K. I would be willing to bet that what you are looking at will top out at over $20K easily.

Bobcats are ideal for commercial landscapers. With that said, don't let me throw cold water on a REALLY REALLY REALLY nice "tewl". If you want it .... well you know the rest:) .

Joe

Robert Mickley
10-31-2006, 9:41 PM
I picked up some parts from local Bobcat dealer a bout 5 or 6 weeks ago and they didn't have any. Leads me to beleieve its pretty new realease.

4wheel steering too cool!!

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 9:48 PM
Ian thinks you should get that. He said, "I could have a ride in that."

Brad Schmid
10-31-2006, 9:57 PM
Tyler,
Those are nice machines. Depending on implements they go for $30k and up. I recently saw a used 2005 Toolcat 5600 with electric dump and bucket for $34.5k. There's a serious lot of attachments, so I imagine the sky's the limit:D I'd say it ranks right near the top of the list for "coolest toyl on the block":cool:

edit: By the way, I think they were first released in 2003.
Brad

Matt Meiser
10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Yep, they are expensive. And, I don't believe they have a 3-point hitch which means no inexpensive attachments. I think you'd be much better served by a compact tractor and an ATV or utility vehicle.

Gary Herrmann
10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
No pain, no gain. Go get it.

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Yea, I drooled when you emailed me that link last night, Tyler. I do agree, however, that it may be overkill for a private residence. My Kubota BX22, which includes the 23hp 4wd diesel tractor, FEL and backhoe cost $15.5K. (The current BX24 is likely similar priced or slightly more and even has more thoughtful mounting of the BH and a bunch of new features) That's a big difference from any form of BobCat that I've seen...including used. I also have a 60" mid-mount mower, a PTO chipper/shredder, a back-blade, a post hole digger, a carry-all and a small utility trailer for the thing. Some of those implements were purchased used at great savings. (The chipper is a good example...list close to $4K; bought "used" for $1900 and it had never actually been used. Actually Dr. SWMBO bought it... ;) )

I'm not suggesting that you should buy this particular machine, but am using it as an example of what you can get for x-dollars that is very appropriate for a "small estate". You may or may not need a little bigger if you have a lot of land with heavier work to do. Also check the used and trade-ins that may be available at your local dealers...I recently saw a nearly new K (slightly larger than mine) at one of the local dealers that was 50 cents on the dollar. The owner got caught up in a divorce and the tractor had to go. Quickly. It went...quickly.

Matt Meiser
11-01-2006, 9:22 AM
Following on what Jim said, a good dealer will be able to help you size the tractor based on your property and the tasks you expect to do. In my case, I was on the line between a tractor the size of Jim's and the next size up. I went with the next size up and it has been perfect. That lets me run a 5' brush hog instead of a 4' which saves time mowing the 7 acres I mow only a couple times a year.

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 9:41 AM
Yes, what Matt said. I actually push the limits of my machine when it comes to FEL and BH work...the next size up might have been better, although "who knew" at the time. It also would have been a lot more expensive and required a new mower deck...I was able to preserve the existing one when I upgraded from a BX2200 to a BX22 with the 'hoe. And if I feel I have a job way too big, I can always opt to rent something after checking on the cost for someone else to do it.

I really do have to say (again) that having this machine has really made a huge difference in the things I can do myself around the property...things I would have had to pay a lot of money for someone else to do. I recently was moving around some boulders that probably weighed well in excess of 1000 pounds. No, I couldn't lift them, but I could drag them around using the 'hoe a little at a time. These are some examples...they were just in a pile next to the new driveway when I started. Now, there is a completed garden along the way.

49364 49365

Frank Fusco
11-01-2006, 9:43 AM
Expensive TOY. :eek:

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 9:44 AM
Expensive TOY.

Tool, Frank...tool!! :D

Tyler Howell
11-01-2006, 9:48 AM
5.6 acres total (first right if refusal on 5 more) with a long wide drive way for snow plowing.
2 Acres of lawn ( rough terrain with a lot of trees and rocks). Current owner has a ZTR but he mows a lot of area I'd like to go natural.

I want to replant an area that was clear cut and also thin and replant 2 acres of scrub trees.
I also want to play a little, OK play a lot.:p

Thanks for the info, stock market will dictate future actions;) .

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 9:59 AM
Take the extra 5 acres if you can swing it, Tyler...to keep or sell off later at a nice profit. It will only cost you more later. ;)

Brad Schmid
11-01-2006, 11:47 AM
"overkill" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Only if you consider a 46hp Kubota Turbo Diesel "overkill":D :D :D
I'm pretty sure that's what the Toolcat 5600 has under the hood.
See Jim, those Bobcat folks know what they're doing, eh?

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 1:10 PM
Aside from the nice orange machines :D, K is pretty well known for their diesel engines...so it's not surprising that Bobcat chose one for that particular project.

Dennis Peacock
11-01-2006, 1:54 PM
Tyler,

I have 3 acres to mow. I have a JD 345 lawn tractor and it takes me 3 hours to mow the lawn. The JD cost me just over $8K and I could have purchase a fullsized tractor for $10K.:eek:

Matt Meiser
11-01-2006, 3:47 PM
By contrast to Dennis, I mow about 3 acres and it takes me about 1/2 of the time it takes him. When you are shopping, make sure you are comparing apples to apples--a 54" deck on a lawn tractor and a 54" deck on a compact tractor aren't equal as you can mow faster on a compact tractor (or ZTR). My neighbors have a lawn tractor--I can make a front-back pass (in both directions) in less time than it takes her to get from the front to the back. I usually get home from work, mow, then eat a slightly late dinner.

And no matter how much you try to talk yourself out of it, spend the extra money to buy a loader. You won't believe how useful it is.

Jim Becker
11-01-2006, 4:27 PM
And no matter how much you try to talk yourself out of it, spend the extra money to buy a loader. You won't believe how useful it is.

Amen!!! Halleluia!! I can safely say that the FEL has paid for itself many times over...Dr. SWMBO and I both use it more than anything else we have available.

Ken Garlock
11-01-2006, 6:16 PM
Tyler, if you are going to be a part time 'gentleman farmer', you need a rig like Jim Becker, be it Kubota, or John Deere. The only bad thing is that you will need to lay down about 15 kilo bucks.:eek:

An alternative would be to check out the tractor auctions around your part of the country. A good old 'Johnny Popper' would be good, and will increase in value as time goes on.

Tyler Howell
11-01-2006, 6:21 PM
Ken,
Don't call me a Gentleman:D :D .
Sorry buddy I don't know the lingo "Johnny Popper" as in Deere John??

Chris Barton
11-01-2006, 7:04 PM
I agree with others that have suggested Kubota. Second, buy used. I just purchased 5+ acres of mountain top in east TN and will need a multipurpose machine for what I want to do with it. A good used Kubota with a slew of attachments like the FEL, box blade, belly mower, etc can be had for under $20K easy. I will be waiting till the dead of winter to buy mine. The sellers will be very motivated a month or so prior to 4/15/07...

Tim Morton
11-01-2006, 7:08 PM
From Google:

The Toolcat 5600 with heat and air conditioning (highly recommended) lists for $32,500. Add $3800 for the mower, $4000 for the snow blower, $1900 for the snow blade, $2000 for the post hole auger and $525 for the versatile bucket. You can contact the company at 866-823-7898 or locate a dealer online at www.bobcat.com. You'll find more information on the Toolcat at www.toolcat.com.

and t hat was over 3 years ago.... Hope you don't own any GM stock:D :D

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/gardening/1273776.html?page=2

Tyler Howell
11-01-2006, 8:10 PM
That's about the same as a Harley???
and you get 4 seasons:D :D :D

Michael Morgan
11-01-2006, 8:16 PM
The Toolcat is a very nice machine, it was designed for maintenance departments for large properties like a large campus or business park. If you want a vehicle with a little dump bed get a Polaris ranger, or a yamaha Rhino, and save a ton of money. If you want something to maintain your property a think a Kubota Compact would be the way to go. Attachments for the tractor will probably cost about 25% of what attachments for the toolcat would cost. I have a Bobcat S-250 Skid Steer, Cab with heat and AC, and the two speed option. It's somewhere around 80H.P. It's a real Beast! I use it for commercial snow removal and carrying logs. Last fall I carried (not dragged) a 40" Diameter red oak log 11' Long out of the woods. I was on two wheels most of the time but I got her.;)
Jim has a great little kubota that would be great for what you are looking for.

Joe Mioux
11-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Tyler,

I absolutely love me New Holland Boomer 32hp diesel. With it I have a 5 ft loader and a 5 rear discharge Brush hog finish mower.

Turning radius is great.

JD has a few more sophisticated features, but for the money not worth it in my opinion.

A 5 ft mower will easily handle your 5-6 acres.

My Brush Hog handles a lot and is tough. Although it did lose out to a concrete pier one day. The fix was cheap though.

Buy a utility 30 plus hp tractor, 4 wheel drive, hydrostat, cruise control, loader, and a rear mounted mower to start.

I don't think anyone here will disagree with the above. Brand? well that is up to you.

joe

Steve Dewey
11-02-2006, 7:37 AM
Wow - good to see other tractor nuts here. I'm a moderator on a compact tractor forum. It's like SMC but for tractor guys&gals. Seems that we aren't supposed to post a link to other forums, but if you can't find it with google, send me a PM.

Regarding the toolcat - nice machine for the right user. It's pretty expensive and somewhat of a "jack of all trades, master of some". For all the money you spend on it, you tend to get good customer service. Biggest downside I see is not being able to load the dump bed with the front end loader. It would be nice if they made it similar to roll off containers. For the cost of the tool cat, you could get a compact tractor & a UTV (w/ dump bed).

After renting a full size hoe to demo my in ground pool, I can definetly see the attraction to the cab with HVAC. I have a New Holland TC18.

Dewey

Matt Meiser
11-02-2006, 7:41 AM
Wow - good to see other tractor nuts here.

Its just another tool. :D