PDA

View Full Version : Template material??????

Al Killian
10-31-2006, 6:03 PM
I am looking for the name of the material that is used to create templates.:confused: It is the thin white cardboard material that can be easily cut with scissors. It has been shown in different woodworking magazines and on woodworking shows. It is hard to find this stuff. The reason that I am searching for it is I have a bookcase that needs building and it would be easier if I had a template. This would be much easier then trying to drawing each edge design by hand plus it will be uniform. Thank you in advance for your time and tolerance with new person this pleasurable hobby.

Jerry Olexa
10-31-2006, 6:11 PM
I think u can find that in an art supply store or a Hobby Lobby, etc...G'Luck

Mike Ruane
10-31-2006, 6:17 PM
Sounds like poster board... check out art supply stores, craft stores (like 'michaels', here), and even my local general and discount stores (rite aid, kmart) carry them in the school supplies sections, though the stuff they stock is not that large, though... 2'x3' maybe, by rough guesstimation.

There's also office supply stores... staples, office depot, office max, etc.

edit: whoops, beat to it by several minutes.

Mike Null
10-31-2006, 6:17 PM
You may be thinking of Foamcore.

John Fry
10-31-2006, 6:27 PM
If you are doing what I think you are doing,

I use 1/4" standard hardboard or MDF. I draw, cut, file and sand, until I get the template shaped to where I want and then use it to draw the shape or profile on each panel, board or member. Then I cut close to the line with the band saw or jig saw, stick the template back on to the part and use a router to flush trim the part to the template.

But then maybe I misunderstood, and that's not what you are trying to do.:D

Al Killian
11-01-2006, 8:16 PM
John, Yes that is what Iam trying to do. This will be my second project and wanted to add a design to the bottom off the bookcase so it is not just a rectangle box.I just finished a crude router table and orderd a pattern bit. Thanks to all for your help with this.
Al K.