PDA

View Full Version : Football Holders

Wil Lambert
10-31-2006, 4:33 PM
I have a dilema with a football holder from JDS. I was told the clear outside was acylic but it does not engrave like acylic. I end up with a raised letter instead of a indented (removed) letter. First time I have had this happen. Personally I think it is a cool effect having the letters raised so hopefullly the customer sees it the same way. I also don't think it is acrylic like they said.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Wil

Mike Mackenzie
10-31-2006, 4:35 PM
Will,

There are typically two types of acryllic CAST and EXTRUDED its sounds like the case is Extruded. Cast engraves with a frosted look where as extruded engraves sort of clear.

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2006, 5:34 PM
My experience with extruded is that it engraves deeper, and has a muddy, textured look. I can't imagine how acrylic would engrave with raised letters. I have seen that happen when rastoring polystyrene, though it was white. It's a much softer kind of plastic and I suppose it could be actually bubbling up the material with the heat expanding it.

I'd almost be willing to bet that it's clear polystyrene, not acrylic.

Bruce Volden
10-31-2006, 5:54 PM
What is your speed, power, dpi.......settings, if I engrave acrylic and this happens it is usually cuz I'm running too "hot". I run a 25 W @ 30 power, 50 speed @ 300 DPI, most times turns out fine.

Bruce

Wil Lambert
11-01-2006, 5:37 AM
I ran a few more test on a scrap piece. Even at lower settings I still get a raised letter. It remind me of a letter that has been "welded" on instead of engraved in. Cool effect but weird. The piece could be "polystyrene" like Joe suggested. I know it is not acrylic after working with it more. I have cast and extruded acrylic around and this in nothing like it. The customer has said he liked the look so we will go with it.

Thanks for all the answers,

Wil