PDA

View Full Version : Thin Wood 90 degree joint

Pete Simmons
10-31-2006, 2:07 PM
For a craft show table help me make the joint for the following:

1. Lay a piece of 1/16 plywood on the table with one edge flush with front of table.

2. Fasten ( Here is the joint/glue question ) a similar piece of thin wood 1/16 - 1/1/8 90 degrees to the first sheet down off the front of the table.

3. Insert magnets in decending piece.

4. Cover table and thin ply with nice cloth ( Thats why it it thin )

5. Attach a light weight logo engraved piece of wood with steel washers in it to the magnets.

My question is ???

How to make the 90 degree joint so it does not protrude alot out over the table?

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 2:14 PM
Could you use a piece of aluminum angle stock and rivet the thin wood pieces to it? Or better yet, make it all of aluminum. Rivet the joints with aluminum rod (more like real rivets not pop rivets) and the assembly would be foldable.

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2006, 2:19 PM
It sounds like all you're trying to do is make something to mount the magnets to, yes? Can you just hot-glue them to the front edge of the table? (Although I'd be tempted to hot-glue the washers to the table and inset the magnets in the logo board.)

Rob Russell
10-31-2006, 2:58 PM
Unless I'm missing something, couldn't you just use a piano hinge and epoxy the plywood to the hinge?

Scott Loven
10-31-2006, 3:17 PM
supper glue - thats what we used to build RC airplanes with a lot of thin ply. Put a fillet of glue on the inside of the joint. It will be very strong.
Scott

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2006, 3:20 PM
(forehead slap) This thing is going to be covered up, right?

Duct tape.

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2006, 3:21 PM
supper glue - ...Gives "sticks to your ribs" a whole new meaning.:eek: