PDA

View Full Version : Californy here I come!

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 1:18 PM
A week from tomorrow I'm heading to the San Diego area for some work-related training. The training runs Thursday and Friday and then the following M-Th. I'm staying over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out what to do with meself on the weekend. Any Creekers around? Any woodworking related stuff to do?

Al Willits
10-31-2006, 1:33 PM
Dave!!!
How can you leave Minn now???
Weather has just started to cool off and become finally cool enough for the Quad Parka to wear, bugs are gone and wind chill is still above zero...well, for the most part.
Leaves have all fell so ya don't have to strain your neck looking up at the fall colors, and with any luck, it won't snow...again, least for a bit.

Dave, ya can't leave us now....or at least take me with you....please...:D

Have fun btw and see ya Sat.

Al

Art Mulder
10-31-2006, 1:55 PM
A week from tomorrow I'm heading to the San Diego area for some work-related training. The training runs Thursday and Friday and then the following M-Th. I'm staying over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out what to do with meself on the weekend. Any Creekers around? Any woodworking related stuff to do?

Well here are the results (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29491) of the exact same question that I asked back in January... and lookee there, a post by yourself! :confused:

Looking back, I only had about a half-day to myself in San Diego, and I spent all of it on the USS Midway. This is a really well done floating museum. You can easily spend 4 hours walking through it.

I then took the train up to LA, which is a rather nice train ride, and visited friends for a couple days. This was fun also, as I found out that there really is such a place as the LaBrea tar pits. Here I thought that was just something from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. (makes me wonder if there really is something to Bugs' advice about making a left turn in Albuquerque...):D
Oh yeah, and Gaucho's Village (http://gauchosvillage.com/Home.htm) in Glendale CA for dinner + entertainment is possibly worth the round trip train ride from San Diego all on it's own...

If I went to San Diego again, I think I'd check out Balboa Park.

Oh, hey, have you been to the San Diego zoo? I went there about 4-5 years ago and it is a very nice zoo. From what I heard, it served as inspiration to Dr Seuss for a number of things.

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 2:50 PM
Al, frankly I'd rather not go right now but I have to get trained on this equipment. January is a better time in my experience.

Art thanks for the reminder. I was hoping for some Creekers to talk to or meet up with while I'm there. I'm going to have to check out that Exotic Hardwood place. It's almost within walking distance of my hotel and it is about 500 feet from Respironics which is where I'll be doing my training.

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 3:11 PM
Geepers....no question...drive up to Laguna Beach and visit with Mark Singer!! It's not a really long drive, either.

Art Mulder
10-31-2006, 3:33 PM
Geepers....no question...drive up to Laguna Beach and visit with Mark Singer!! It's not a really long drive, either.

Be fair, Jim, not everyone rents a car. When i was in San Diego, everything had to be walking distance. Cabs aren't cheap either.
(he says, to cover his regret at not visiting...)

Mark Singer
10-31-2006, 3:55 PM

With Capaucino? Coming???

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 4:26 PM
So where do I stop for the Cappucino on the way to your place, Mark?

I will have a rental car but I'm a small town kind of driver any more. The 5 scares the bejeebers out of me. :eek: Maybe the rental car will be a Hummer.:D

Tyler Howell
10-31-2006, 4:40 PM
Take the tour of Star of India beautiful steal hull sailing craft.
Right on the water front. Also Hotel Del Coranada Still holds. A must see.

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 5:42 PM
Be sure to tell Mark Singer "Howdy" from an ol' Arkysaw woodworker while you're there. :)

Dave Ray
10-31-2006, 6:20 PM
Tyler gave you a couple of really good places, plus the USS Midway. With Mark you will be talking tools, woodworking, design, joints, finishing and learning from a master. I hope you can squeesh it all in, in a weekend. Good luck and have a safe trip, most of all have fun. Frankly, I am envious. :D :D

JayStPeter
10-31-2006, 6:24 PM
I've spent more time there over the summer than I preferred. It's a nice place, but I just prefer to be here with my family and shop :rolleyes: .

The Maloof exhibit (if it's still there) is good. The Midway tour was good. If you have a motorcycle licence, I suggest renting a Harley from the "rent a harley" joint and riding Ortega highway and Palomar mountain. Best riding I've done in years (even though I was on a Harley ;) ).

John A. Williams
10-31-2006, 7:55 PM
check out tropical exotic hardwoods and bring your wallet

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 8:13 PM
John, I got the link to that place. It's almost right next door to the place where I'll be learning about BiPAPs and ventilators so I can repair them. Maybe I'll go over on my lunch breaks.

Lots of things to see. Thanks gang.

I hope I can get up to see Mark.

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 9:05 PM
Dave, Mark will personally make the espresso drinks for you...and the 5 between San Diego and Laguna Beach is a piece 'o cake...boring, even.

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 9:46 PM
Jim, you talked me into it. Mark, I like my caps with an extra shot. ;) :D

Piece of cake you say. Well, alright. My only experience with it was between Carlsbad and SD. I thin there were some cars going so fast their tires weren't even in contact with the road. :eek: Around here you gotta watch out for that old John Deere B pullin' the manure spreader down to the next field. Trust me. You don't want to run into that. Or maybe a combine with a corn head and a grain box behind. (beans are all done.)

Do ya s'pose Mark ought have a say in this or should I just show up on his doorstep? :D

Mark Singer
10-31-2006, 10:24 PM
So where do I stop for the Cappucino on the way to your place, Mark?

I will have a rental car but I'm a small town kind of driver any more. The 5 scares the bejeebers out of me. :eek: Maybe the rental car will be a Hummer.:D
Dave,
Got your PM and the welcome mats are out! Capacino machine is running...twist of lemon?:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
10-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Be sure to tell Mark Singer "Howdy" from an ol' Arkysaw woodworker while you're there. :)
Dennis...when are you getting your a..... up here?

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Dennis...when are you getting your a..... up here?

As soon as I can find enough money to make it out your way Mark. I'd love to come for a visit, but my line of work doesn't bring me to your neck of the woods, so it'd have to be a personal expense to venture out your way. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't have the money to make the trip to the Left-Coast. :D

Mark Singer
10-31-2006, 11:45 PM
Dennis,
When your ready....we are ready! You are welcome to join us here in sunny....windy (today) California:rolleyes:

Art Mulder
11-01-2006, 9:36 AM
As soon as I can find enough money to make it out your way Mark. I'd love to come for a visit, but my line of work doesn't bring me to your neck of the woods, so it'd have to be a personal expense to venture out your way. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I don't have the money to make the trip to the Left-Coast. :D

C'mon Dennis - you're a professional computer geek like me. Doesn't your boss believe in the benefit of professional conferences? There are at least 3 usenix conferences (http://www.usenix.org/events/) in San Diego in the next 8 monhts. (plus two in San Jose). And the O'Reilly etech conference (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etech/) is there next March -- I went to ETech this year, and it is a bit less technical, more marketing, but still fun.
Or if your company is flush with cash you can try the TED conference (http://www.ted.com/) in Monterey in march.)

Hey, if you don't ask you don't get...
...art (made sure I talked about conferences when I was hired...)

Dan Stuewe
11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds like you've already started getting things worked out with Mark, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. When I was able to buy a hand plane from Mark a year or so ago, he and his wife were wonderful hosts to me, my wife and my 7 and 3 year olds. My wife and I were very wary of our little ones in their beautiful home, but we never got a hint that they were not welcome in their home.

James Yockey
11-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Welcome to San Diego. I've lived here for 19 years and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. You will find the weather pretty much perfect any time of the year. My suggestion would be to hang around at the bay. Visit the USS Midway, Star of India, and the Soviet Sub that has been opened up for visitors. That will take up most of a day. Eating can be best accomplished in the "Gas Lamp District". Of course we have the Zoo and SeaWorld if your bored.

Dennis Peacock
11-01-2006, 1:51 PM
C'mon Dennis - you're a professional computer geek like me. Doesn't your boss believe in the benefit of professional conferences? There are at least 3 usenix conferences (http://www.usenix.org/events/) in San Diego in the next 8 monhts. (plus two in San Jose). And the O'Reilly etech conference (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etech/) is there next March -- I went to ETech this year, and it is a bit less technical, more marketing, but still fun.
Or if your company is flush with cash you can try the TED conference (http://www.ted.com/) in Monterey in march.)

Hey, if you don't ask you don't get...
...art (made sure I talked about conferences when I was hired...)

Art,

we don't get to go anywhere for anything. Not even for stuff we have to support. If it's not paid for by the vender? We don't get training of any sort. :mad: