PDA

View Full Version : New house 3 month utility avg.

John Daugherty
10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
We finished our house about 3.5 months ago. When building we really looked at trying to build as energy efficient as possible. The house has 2100 sq/ft finished with a 2100 sq/ft unfinished walkout basement. Both spaces are conditioned. The main floor walls are structural insulated panels. I used energy star rated materials whenever possible. The three month average for utilities (electric, gas and water) are averaging about 117 per month. I’ve been really pleased!

Joe Lenox
10-31-2006, 3:12 PM
Thats fantastic!! My average monthly costs for heat lights and water is aprox. $660.00!!! and my house is small only 15-1600 sq feet.

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 3:18 PM
LOL! Good deal! And exactly why we're putting the money into energy efficient design/building for our addition...I don't want to raise the "variable" monthly nut too much. My lowest electric/gas bills are just about $200 and the highest just shy of $600. Of course, that's with a home that is partially 250 years old with improper insulation "up top". (A situation that will be rectified as we re-roof the entire structure for the addition project) And then there are the kids...... ;)

Lars Thomas
10-31-2006, 3:59 PM
Jim, You could offset the 'kid' factor on your utility bills with a $0.50 fine for each light left on. I get a few bucks a month on this one!!:)

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 5:39 PM
Must be nice having a utility bill that low. Congrats!!!!!

Bruce Page
10-31-2006, 8:30 PM
Jim, You could offset the 'kid' factor on your utility bills with a $0.50 fine for each light left on. I get a few bucks a month on this one!!:)

I wonder if that would work on my wife!

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 9:01 PM
Jim, You could offset the 'kid' factor on your utility bills with a $0.50 fine for each light left on. I get a few bucks a month on this one!!

They are just now learning how to actually count money...but honestly, lights don't enter into things too much in the thick of things because I replaced about 95% of them with compact flourescents earlier this year. That really did drop consumption. We just use a lot more hot water and burn about 1000% more power on video than when we were DINKS.

The good news is that since I'm not getting as much shop time...ok, that's really not good news :rolleyes:, but bear with me...I'm not running the electric heaters out there now, either. Yet. That must change 'cause I really do need to do all the cabinetry for the addition unless I win PowerBall or the Prize Patrol shows up...

I wonder if that would work on my wife!

Unfortunately, she's a "lights left on" offender of sorts...but she pays half the bills, too...