PDA

View Full Version : Brusso Hinges

Stewart Crick
10-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm working with Brusso hinges for the first time. I've also purchased the installation template to ease the installation. The template requires a guide bushing and the instructions recommend using the bushing in a laminate trimmer due to the small size of the template. I'm going to purchase a laminate trimmer for this project; but I'm having problems confirming whether or not the base have an opening of the size that will accept a "typical" guide bushing (a call to Porter-Cable was fruitless).

http://tinyurl.com/y7c9vk

If there is someone here who could comment on what laminate trimmer they have used with brusso templates I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...

Stu

Mark Singer
10-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Stewart,
The Bosch Colt and older Bosch laminate trimmer take the special Bosch guides...which are about the same price as the Porter Cable type. You can just make a jig that is the width of the trimmer base and use the same width bit as the Brusso knife hinge. I think I have an earlier threat that shows it. Then no guides are needed.

Here is a link where I install them....it looks like I mortised with a chisel this time...If you want to try that...screw the hinge on the surface and scribe the perimeter with a knife....then remove and push the chisel on the scribe line...tap and level the bottom

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14202&page=2&highlight=coopered+cabinet

Stewart Crick
11-01-2006, 7:47 AM
Mark,

Thanks for the reply and great advice, I'm definetely going to use the hand tool solution as a back up. But since I foresee myself installing many of these hinges in the future, I definelty want to get familiar with the installation template.

Yesterday, I apparently talked with the 2 folks at Porter-Cable who are not aware of the their guide bushing capabilities. Later in the day I found out they infact invented the guide-bushing system and all their laminate trimers will accept them. so that problem has been sovled.

My next challenge is finding a 5/16" straight bit for a laminate trimmer--the template is engineered for a 1/2" OD guide bushing and 5/16" straight bit. I have found several sources for 5/16" bits. however they all have 5/16" shanks. Now I'm finding most laminate trimmers have 1/4" colletes and aren't designed to facilitate a 5/16" collet. Vortex Tool company is willing to special cut a 5/16" bit with a 1/4" shank, but I'm trying to avoid the customization charge that will kick the bits up to around $90/bit.

A call to Brusso to find out what Laminate trimmer they were using, and where they found a 5/16" bit to fit were unsuccessful. Rather scarry that their phone is answered by a machine that says "your memory is full" then disconnect you.

Sorry to bore you with all the details, and their was a question or two in there:

1. Do you know of a laminate trimmer that accepts guide bushings AND has a 5/16" collet? or...

2. Do you know of anyone making 5/16" upcut straight bits with a 1/4" shank?

Chris Barton
11-01-2006, 7:59 AM
Hi Stewart,

I have the set you are asking about and they are designed for the PC standard opening. But, any set of bushings will work. I would return your purchased jig for mounting the hinges and simply make your own out of scraps. This way you can get a strait bit of a given size (say a 3/8") put it inside of a 1/2" ID bushing and simply make the rectangular opening 1/8" larger than the hinge. Square the corners with a chisel.