PDA

View Full Version : MDF question

Chuck Hanger
10-31-2006, 9:49 AM
If you have a melamine top on your router table is there a way to seal it so that it does not expand like the attached photo from setting a cold can of pop on it when the shop is heated?
Thanks, Chuck

Travis Porter
10-31-2006, 10:56 AM
I have a melamine tablesaw extension and have put drinks on it, spilled drinks on it, and never had that happen. It is like what you have is a porous melamine surface?

Aaron Beaver
10-31-2006, 11:13 AM
I never thought about carrying your drinks around and laying them where ever. I have a spot for my drink/glass on a shelf, when I need a drink I just take a drink and set it back down before I go on doing something else. Maybe I am just to careful but my table tops will be safe. ;)

Howie French
10-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I have a 4' x 8' melamine work table, I always use lots of water on it to
remove glue and pencil marks. I have never had a problem with swelling.

Howie

Chuck Hanger
10-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Should be noted that the MDF is open along the edge of the miter track as well as where I had to insert 1/4" flat head counter sunk bolts to get it level. I believe that is where the moisture would have entered.
Chuck

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2006, 12:44 PM
If you have a melamine top on your router table is there a way to seal it so that it does not expand like the attached photo from setting a cold can of pop on it when the shop is heated?
Thanks, ChuckYou sure that's melamine? It looks more like glue failure on high-pressure laminate (e.g. Formica).