PDA

View Full Version : Pre Cat Lacguer

Lou Ferrarini
10-31-2006, 9:29 AM
OK, real dumb question. What makes a lacquer Pre-Cat. I have used Behlen Nitrocellulose based lacquer in the past. Is this considered Pre-Cat?

Is there such a thing as Post-Cat?

Is all Nitrocellulose based lacquer considered Pre-Cat?

Thanks,
lou

Mitchell Andrus
10-31-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know what the difference is, but I switched to a pre-catalyzed lacquer and won't go back. I now get better flow-out (HP spray) and harder surface.

Mitch

Duane Pulliam
10-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Lou:

Pre-catalyzed lac. has a chemical (catalyst) added that causes some reactions in the drying finish to produce a more durable finish than standard nitro lac. It is termed pre-cat because the cat. is normally added either before or at the time of sale by the factory or the store. The pre-cats normally have a shelf life of 6 to 18 months depending on the brand, etc. ML Campbell's Magnalac pre-cat has the cat. added at the factory and has a life of approx. 18 months unopened. MLC Magnamax has the cat. added at the time of sale and has a shelf life of approx. 4-6 mo. A post-cat lac. normally has the cat. provided to the end user who adds the cat. themselves just prior to use. The post-cats normally have life of 4-12 hours. The post-cats normally are more durable than the pre-cats. "Standard" nitro lac. is not a catalyzed lacquer.
HTH.

Lou Ferrarini
10-31-2006, 1:04 PM
Thanks for the explination. I don't feel like such an idiot now.

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 3:09 PM
Ok, folks...a discussion about pre-cat lacquer cannot be left without the necessary caution that it's not for folks who do not have the right environment/safety gear to work with it. Take care...it's much more dangerious to use than NC Lacquers. Great product, but know what you are doing.