PDA

View Full Version : Repeated cuts with circular saw, without GCSS

J. Scott Chambers
10-31-2006, 8:24 AM
Does anyone have any ideas for a jig for making repeated cuts of the same dimension for panels of MDF or ply? The measuring each time and setting the shop made guide in place isn't giving the results I need. I was trying to come up with something similar to a story stick, only larger for panels.

I do not have a table saw at the moment, nor the space or money to buy one (yet), and I am not interested in a guided saw system at this time, also due to the cost. I simply want to make repeatable cuts, and not shell out $300+ to do it. I already know both the TS and GCSS will do what I need to do, but those are not options right now.

Any suggestions not related to TS or GCSS?

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 8:28 AM
How wide do the panels need to be? I've got an idea for something that would work but I'll make a quick sketch for you.

J. Scott Chambers
10-31-2006, 8:31 AM
Dave,

I was trying to come up with something the could be adjustable and locked in place, so it could be reusable. However, that can wait until I am more inclined.

The panels I am trying to make identical are supposed to be 24.75". Two are, two aren't. So now I am looking at trimming to 24.5", just as long as all four are identical.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-31-2006, 8:45 AM
I used to do lots and lots of that. It was huge pain untill I made a table big enough to lay the sheet stock on. Then it was way easier.
I vreated a sacrificial top on top of the table from Homosote (pressed cardboard fiber sheet stock). Then I laid the stoick to be cut on it and clamped a straight edge in place. For repeat cuts I made up a little stick with a stop block that would let me reposition the straight edge quickly.

Before the tabe I'd lay the stock out where ever I could. the back of a pickup on the floor set up on 2*4s whatever and it was a horrible pain. Doing it on a big table really helps.

Now however - - - - -

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 8:54 AM
Cliff's got a pretty good, simple idea. Mine would take a little more time to build but would be more permanent. It is based on the mat cutter I used when I worked in the picture frame shop. The saw guide is the typical guide made of plywood with a guide fence. The ply is cut after the fence is applied so the edge of the ply represents the cut line. The guide is hinged to a bed with so that it can be lifted out of the way to slide the work in. The bed extends beyound the kerf a bit to support the cutoff.

Image removed

Dave Falkenstein
10-31-2006, 9:02 AM
Depending on the depth of cut of your circular saw blade and the thickness of the material you are cutting, you can cut at least two and maybe more of the panels by stacking them one on top of the other. Line up two sides and one corner and then cut the other two sides with the panels clamped together. Then use one of the cut panels on top to line up the saw and guide for the rest of the cuts.

J. Scott Chambers
10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I can put these to use to fix my immediate problem, and work on building Dave's jig this weekend for future projects.

Dave Richards
10-31-2006, 10:59 AM
If you need more details, let me know. This was a quick drawing and I didn't save the SKP file.

Nissim Avrahami
10-31-2006, 4:46 PM
Have a look at this post to see how I make precision cuts with CS guide
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36808

I made also simple cutting table that you can make repetative cuts
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42125

Hope it helps
niki

Loren McDaniel
10-31-2006, 5:51 PM
Current Shopnotes has a neat little panel cutting table thingy. I don't have the mag in front of me but it will work fine.

JayStPeter
10-31-2006, 6:35 PM
I made a repeatability jig for my Festool guiderail that is really simple and should be usable on any straightedge guide for a circular saw. Scroll down in this thread to my post with pics of my jig.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11439&page=2

Here's a pic of my improved version with cursor
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17663&d=1111881306

Kelly C. Hanna
10-31-2006, 7:12 PM
Yep...cheap too. Get the rail mounted fence for your particular saw and a set screw for the foot. I make cuts like this everyday on the job with my PC left blader. Repeatability is excellent when the fence is tightened down properly and setup/adjustability is extremely quick.