PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer Removal

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Been searching threads and couldn't find anything close to my dilemma.

I spray canned about six coats of lacquer on a turned piece and the final result is just terrible. Yup - had never used the stuff before and wanted to try my heavy handed approach with it.

This is lacquer on raw wood and now has to be completely removed. Yup the coats were far too thick.

Removal products and method suggestions are eagerly solicited.

Thanks.

Nancy Laird
10-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Lacquer thinner - in large doses. (Don't use your Moxie!!)

Nancy

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2006, 8:28 AM
Thanks, Nancy. I wasn't sure if thinner would work on the cured lacquer.

I agree, Moxie is too valuable a natural resource to waste on such a task.:D

Chris Barton
10-31-2006, 8:33 AM
Hi Andy,

Acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) both available at any paint, hardware or borg of your choice...

Jim Becker
10-31-2006, 9:05 AM
Take great care when using these chemicals, Andy...they can be dangerious to your health. Do it outdoors and wear a respirator mask, heavy chemical resistant gloves and eye protection.

Steve Schoene
10-31-2006, 3:21 PM
Before you start stripping this all off, remember that with lacquer all you have is one, overly thick, coat since all the coats melded together. You might be surprised at how easily you can rub this out to a very attractive finish, especially if you can aid the initial sanding with a lathe. Start with 320 grit and just sand until you have an even scratch pattern without shiny spots. Then you can work to progressively finer grits very quickly. If you want gloss go to about 1200 grit and then shift to either a very fine polishing compound or rottenstone. Be careful on the edges to avoid cutting through to bare wood.

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2006, 4:12 PM
Thanks all. Took the beast outside and spent time with rags and lacquer thinner. Brrr 42° out, and that stuff is brutal on the hands. And Steve, you're right; that's exactly what happened. The globs and drips and runs melted away pretty quick, and I think I ended up with a much more even surface.

It's a wee bit tacky right now, so I plan to let it sit for a spell. In a week or so I'll vac it up on the lathe and do some fine sanding and tweaking with finishing techniques I'm more familiar with.

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 5:58 PM
Yup.......

Lacquer can be removed with lacquer thinner.
Shellac can be removed with DNA.

Polyurethane can be removed.....with sandpaper. :rolleyes: :D