PDA

View Full Version : Downcut Spiral Router Bit in a Table..Dumb Move??

Glen Blanchard
10-30-2006, 9:08 PM
I need to cut some grooves on the outside surface of the sides of some drawers for a box I am making. These grooves will ride on wooden runners. I am looking for a 5/16" cutting diameter router bit and the depth of cut will be approx. .16". As the drawers need to slide smoothly on the runners, I am looking for as smooth a cut as possible. It would seem to me that a spiral router bit would serve this purpose well. As a downcut spiral will create a smoother cut at the groove's bottom, I am leaning in this direction. However, I am concerned about safety as well, and I know that (as a general rule) the upcut spiral is the better choice if used in a table.

So, would using a 5/16" downcut spiral bit in a table be sufficiently hazardous so as to prevent me from making the purchase? I have experience using upcut spirals in a table, but not downcut and I would rather not have to dodge flying timbers.

Gary Keedwell
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
They recommend spiral down for good finish and shallow depth. .160 thousands is not very deep. IMHO If you find it too deep...two passes would be prudent.

Gary K.

Lee DeRaud
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
0.16" is less than 3/32. At that depth, the bit might as well be a straight cutter for all the difference it makes.

David Rose
10-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Recheck Lee. That is just over 5/32, unless me calculator is faulty. Then blame MS. :D That could be a substantial cut with enough height. Though I also doubt there will be a noticable difference.

David

0.16" is less than 3/32. At that depth, the bit might as well be a straight cutter for all the difference it makes.

Lee DeRaud
10-31-2006, 1:16 AM
Recheck Lee. That is just over 5/32, unless me calculator is faulty. Then blame MS. :D That could be a substantial cut with enough height. Though I also doubt there will be a noticable difference.

DavidDuh (forehead slap)...I meant 3/16 (I think, but actually it's a bit less than that). But the cutter width is only 5/16: not that much of a cut unless you're talking about insanely hard wood.

Glen Blanchard
10-31-2006, 9:35 AM
But the cutter width is only 5/16: not that much of a cut unless you're talking about insanely hard wood.

These were my thoughts also, I didn't think I was hogging off enough wood for it to be an issue. It is nice to hear it from someone else though. Thanks guys.