PDA

View Full Version : Cherry coffee table (pics)

Dave Shively
10-30-2006, 8:49 PM
Here is a cherry coffee table I just completed. This one is for use in our home
and it's about time I made something for us. The dimensions are 17H x 21w x 48L.
The finish is BLO with a top coat of Pre-Cat lacquer, which brings up a question for
those of you that use BLO before a top coat, especially on cherry. How many of you
can really tell the difference of using and not use BLO? I personally can't really tell
much of a difference if any at all. I'm going to take a cherry board and do an
experiment with half BLO and then spray on a topcoat to see what I get. Has anyone
ever tried this?

Dave

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL846/862115/1592586/200482874.jpg
http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL846/862115/1592586/200482911.jpg

Corey Hallagan
10-30-2006, 9:06 PM
Wow, that is really nice. The queen anne legs look great too! Nice job.

Corey

Mark Singer
10-30-2006, 9:07 PM
Very nice desin and crafstmanship!

Doug Shepard
10-30-2006, 9:08 PM
Very nice looking table. I usually end up with a much darker color after the BLO than what you got though. Did you thin the BLO a lot? Maybe you just got some much lighter colored cherry than what I normally find around here.

John Timberlake
10-30-2006, 9:09 PM
Very nice piece. I personally like the very traditional furniture such as Queen Anne. Like the finish on the cherry. Will look even better as it ages.

Sam Chambers
10-30-2006, 9:13 PM
How many of you can really tell the difference of using and not use BLO? I personally can't really tell much of a difference if any at all. I'm going to take a cherry board and do an experiment with half BLO and then spray on a topcoat to see what I get. Has anyone ever tried this?
Dave, I'm by no means an expert, having built just one project using cherry. I had the same questions as you, so I did a sample board. I could definitely see a difference on the portions using BLO, and I liked the color it gave me. I think you're going about this the right way. Do some experimenting and see what you like best.

Oh, and very nice job on the coffee table! I love the Queen Anne style.

Good luck!

Dave Shively
10-30-2006, 9:17 PM
Thank you for the comments.

Doug, No I didn't thin the BLO and the cherry was all heart wood. I will still try my
little experiment though.

Dave

Rick de Roque
10-30-2006, 9:22 PM
Table looks great.

Rick

Jim Becker
10-30-2006, 9:23 PM
Very elegant piece, Dave! Beautiful.

(I do think that the BLO makes a difference, but I also do a coat of shellac between it and the top coat...try various combinations in your shop on scraps to find what works best for "you"!)

Hans Braul
10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Nicely done Dave. Lovely lines and great craftsmanship.

Hans

Bruce Page
10-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Beautiful table Dave. I would love to see a picture of it after a couple years of ageing.

Rick Doyle
10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Beautiful table Dave. I would love to see a picture of it after a couple years of ageing.
Dave - ditto for what Bruce said! Looks great!

David Rose
10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Dave,

Nice job!

I've done three different samples with BLO and without. All were with super blonde shellac as the topcoat/final coat. Two pieces that I did, I figured were a total waste of time (for adding BLO) after the test. Then for some reason, the third piece made quite visibly more depth. The cherry was from different batches, but from a local miller who buys mostly local trees. And the different batches had definite color differences due to the sun. Since the samples were done at different time, I didn't pay attention to which was darker to start with.

My tests were very limited. But I suspect that every different batch will show a different reaction. You won't hurt anything by hitting it with BLO. If it helps, you would miss out if you didn't do it. If it doesn't, you didn't waste too much time or material.

I am putting together a top for a blanket chest in cherry right now. I think I will slap on BLO... just in case. ;)

David

Travis Porter
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
That is gorgeous!

Greg Salata
10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Stunning for sure.

Norman Hitt
10-31-2006, 3:57 AM
Vereeeeeee Nice, Dave. That sure is some light colored Cherry but beautiful wood. It will really look great in a few years.

Blaine Harrison
10-31-2006, 8:48 AM
Dave,

Very nice table. Excellent job on the Queen Anne legs and I like the beading on the apron. Nice grain matching on the top, too.

Is the wood from the stash that "fell off the truck"?

Blaine

Alex Berkovsky
10-31-2006, 7:01 PM
Dave,
The table is very elegant. Did you make the legs yourself or purchase them? If you make them, it would be nice to see some progress pics... we like pictures. :D

Dave Shively
10-31-2006, 8:28 PM
Thanks all for the nice comments on the table and all the advice and hints.

Blaine, No sorry to say there wasn't any cherry on that truck. I sure wish
there had been though.

Alex, I'm sorry but I hope I'm not going to disappoint you but, I bought the
legs. I can't make them for what I can buy them for. I figure my time is better
spent doing what I do best in the shop. Sorry I cheated.

Dave

Jason Tuinstra
10-31-2006, 8:44 PM
Dave,

First, great job on the table. It looks great. Ya' just can't go wrong with cherry. I love it!

Second, I made a set of end tables a number of years ago and didn't coat them with BLO first. I was in a hurry and didn't think that it would make that much of a difference. It did! They haven't gotten nearly as dark as the furniture that I've made since. I can totally tell the difference - not so much in the depth of the wood, but simply in the darkening of the cherry. I haven't read what others have said, but that's my experience with the different ways of finishing.

Just so that you know, my process is as follows:
1. Coat the piece with BLO
2. Let it soak in for a bit.
3. Wipe dry.
4. Let the piece sit in the sun for an afternoon or two, wiping down the piece from time to time so that the BLO that comes out of the pores doesn't cook on the piece.
5. Spray the piece with Lacquer - a couple coats.
6. Call it good!
7. Take pics and show it off on SMC! :p

Have fun!

Jerry Olexa
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Very nice results...Looks good. I personally strongly endorse the use of BLO first prior to other topcoats esp on CHERRY. To me, it visibly enhances the wood and pops the grain while providing depth . Just mho...

Jerry Olexa
10-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Dave,

I am putting together a top for a blanket chest in cherry right now. I think I will slap on BLO... just in case. ;)

David

Hey Dave, I'm just now starting a blanket chest. Can you post some pics?? Thanks

David Rose
11-01-2006, 2:00 AM
Jerry, sure! But you've probably seen some of these before. It's been a loooong work in progress for several reasons.

The started top that is on it will not be used. :mad: The plan did not allow for wood movement of the top :eek: , and there will be molding just below the top edge. A new top is in progress.

David

Hey Dave, I'm just now starting a blanket chest. Can you post some pics?? Thanks

Norman Hitt
11-01-2006, 5:40 AM
Jerry, sure! But you've probably seen some of these before. It's been a loooong work in progress for several reasons.

The started top that is on it will not be used. :mad: The plan did not allow for wood movement of the top :eek: , and there will be molding just below the top edge. A new top is in progress.

David

Boy, that is going to be a real Beauty, David, when you get it finished.

Alex Berkovsky
11-01-2006, 7:07 AM
... Alex, I'm sorry but I hope I'm not going to disappoint you but, I bought the legs. I can't make them for what I can buy them for. I figure my time is better spent doing what I do best in the shop. Sorry I cheated.Dave,
I am not disappointed at all - regardless if you made the table legs or bought them, it still turned out beautiful.

Tyler Howell
11-01-2006, 8:07 AM
Very nice.

Jerry Olexa
11-01-2006, 10:35 AM

David

Dave: very, very nice...Love your choice of material...Thats beautiful cherry...Thanks for showing...