PDA

View Full Version : Dinning Table done.

Tom Ruflin
10-30-2006, 7:03 PM
I finally finished a dinning table that has taken way to long to make. The top is tiger maple that I picked up at Irion Lumber in Pa. and the base is cherry. I did some Greene and Greene detail in the apron with cloud lifts and some brackets between the apron and legs. The dimensions are 36" wide by 48" long with a 18" leaf. It was sized to work in my small dinning room. The first picture shows the apron and leg details. Pic 2 is a corner of the top. Pic 3 is the under side workings. Pic 4 is a view without the leaf and pic 5 is with the leaf. The little rectangles in the side of the top are the ends of the cherry splines I used when I glued the top together. The top is a full 1" thick is is rather heavy. Since I don't have a 12" wide joiner I used hand planes to flatten one side and then a planer and drum sander for final dimensioning. The finnish is Tried and True varnish oil. I heat it up in a glue pot to make it easier to wipe on and I use a plastic squeege to spread it around on the top. Now I have to make some chairs (which I have never done:eek: ) to match. Thanks for looking.

Jim Becker
10-30-2006, 8:17 PM
Nice job, Tom! Don't sweat the time...projects sometimes end up that way.

You gonna try chairs now, too, eh?? :D :D :D I started mine back in 2003... ;) ...and have a long way to go.

Corey Hallagan
10-30-2006, 9:08 PM
Very nice Tom, I love the corner details and some real nice figured wood.

Corey

John Timberlake
10-30-2006, 9:12 PM
Great job. The curl on the top is fantastic. Also like the corner brackets.

Rick de Roque
10-30-2006, 9:24 PM
Great job on the table.
Rick

Jack Hutchinson
10-30-2006, 9:27 PM
Beautiful!

Kick back, have a beer, admire your table. There will be time for chairs. Later.

Dave Shively
10-30-2006, 9:27 PM
Tom,

Great job there! Love the boards you choose for the top.

Dave

Dan Oliphant
10-30-2006, 9:57 PM
Very nice Tom, and as time goes by the base will darken really accenting the tiger maple top.

Bruce Page
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Tom, excellent work! I like the large edge champher on the table top - did you have to do much sanding?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Beautifully done Tom! I like the contrasting woods and the finish! Beautifully done!

John Piwaron
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Excellent work. Beautiful table.

Greg Salata
10-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Awesome wood....................great execution on the table.
A new family heirloom for sure.

GS

Rennie Heuer
10-31-2006, 8:22 AM
Nicely done!
Those corner details look like those featured in Darrell Peart's book on Greene and Greene design. How difficult were they?

John Renzetti
10-31-2006, 9:11 AM
Great job Tom. Very nice detail work. Like Jim said projects can take a long time especially when regular work and family can take precidence. A desk I built for my son took me over a year.
take care,
John

Dave Carey
10-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Tom,
Beautiful piece. I grew up in Irondequoit and can imagine that shop time competes with shovelling snow! I love the wood and the cloud lifts; gave me some ideas for some projects I'm planning that would benefit from some Greene & Greene details but not the full monty. Assume the details will adorn your chairs as well and hope you'll share those with us when they're done. Cheers

Seth Poorman
10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Nice Job Tom !;)
Irion Lumber has some really good figured wood !

Dave Ray
10-31-2006, 5:03 PM
Tom, this is one nice piece of work. Really like the details on the corners. thanks for showing the underside, gave me some idea's.

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 5:18 PM
Nicely done Tom!!!! Congrats on a project well done. Very pretty table.

Tom Ruflin
10-31-2006, 8:57 PM
Thanks for the complements everyone. I have to confess that the table took so long because the first base I made was not strong enough. It was a pedestal base and when I mounted the top on it the base would twist back and forth and made the table unusable (I attached 2 pics of the original). Also my sailing habit got in the way over the summer and I spent some time dreaming up a new base. I did have a few beers once this was finally done. The edge chamfer on the top is for comfort when leaning on the table after dinner is done (no elbows onthe table during dinner). I made it with very sharp hand planes and it required very little sanding. The corner details were inspired by Darrel Pert, he gave a 1 day demo for our local woodworkers club at Woodcraft in Rochester, and I have his book. He went over how to make the different parts. The legs and aprons are mortise and tenon and the brackets are loose tenons to the legs and aprons. I agree that the "full monty" Greene and Greene is a bit much but I do like some of the elements. The chairs, which will be done about a year from now (I hope) will have similar design elements. Irion Lumber is a great place, very helpfull staff, I bought 1/2 a log of tiger maple for this table and others in the future, I still have 3 boards left that are 5/4 by 10" to 14" wide by 10 feet long. They specialize in keeping boards from the same tree together and sell them as sets. Also attached are a couple of pics of the leg blanks with the end cut from the board they came from and one of the boards for the top in the process of being flattened on one side with hand planes and winding sticks.

"Gary Brewer"
11-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi Tom: Great colors! Nice job! How about some work using your new minimax bandsaw? That could be next? Your original table base is a lot like a base on a table that Stickley sells. It is Mission style with a round top. They offer it with a number of different diameters and some with an apron and another without. Stop in at Stickley's in Eastview Mall. You could use the base to make a great kitchen table.
Gary

Mark Valsi
11-01-2006, 9:55 AM
Tom,

Nice job, but . . . . . http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

I love that top, wow !! that maple is beautiful !!!!!! I wish I had a few pieces of that stuff !!

However, to my taste, I don't care for the routed edge on anything that is in the style of G & G. And the mixing of woods is something that I don't care for in a project like this.

I would prefer a top of a darker wood, either the same cherry that you used for the base, or something dark like walnut.

At a crafts show in Pasadena last month, I saw some wonderful G & G style stuff made from walnut. It was beautiful, but . . . . I just didn't care for it. It was too much of a shock to my mental system of what G & G should be.

Your craftsman skills are evident, but I'm just not so happy with the choice of woods for this particular application.

Can't wait to see your next works !

Mark