PDA

View Full Version : Walnut run for Mark and Me today - Pic

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2006, 6:53 PM
Today, was an excellent day.!!! I got to spend a good part of today with Mark Cothren as we traveled to gather up some walnut. There's more where this came from, but it's mostly smaller stock.

First pic is Mark by one of the prized bowl blanks.
2nd pic is me by a prized blank.
3rd pic is showing the trailer all loaded up and ready for the roadtrip home.
4th pic....just maybe there could be a little figure in some of this here walnut.!!!! :D

Thanks Mark for a very nice day out with a fellow woodworker and friend. Sure was fun and a nice time....not to mention some very nice walnut turning stock. :)

Jim Ketron
10-30-2006, 7:06 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh yea Good Haul guys!
And I do see some nice curl in there!
Awesome!

Don Orr
10-30-2006, 7:08 PM
Man that is some awesome looking wood-and HUGE! Wish I could find some like that up here. Not too many Black Walnuts around anymore that I know of. You southerners have all the luck:D . Looks like a good day.

Travis Stinson
10-30-2006, 7:09 PM
NICE score Mark and Dennis...........ol buddys;) :D

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2006, 7:18 PM
Man! So tell me. That stuff, like grows right up outta the ground or something? Skips the whole tree thing and heads directly to the bucked up stage? Cool!

Mark Cothren
10-30-2006, 7:56 PM
Here's one of the smaller blanks chucked up this evenin' after we got home... some very nice wood...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/BW_Haul2a.jpg

Thanks for the help and company today, Dennis! And thanks to Joe Meazle for lettin' me borrow his lil' ol' Husqvarna 359 w/ 24" bar...

George Conklin
10-30-2006, 8:06 PM
Yeah. That's a wood haul gloat if I ever saw one! Nicely done, guys.

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2006, 8:26 PM
Whew!!!!! Just have finished getting my half of the haul all sealed up with Anchorseal.!!!!! I'm bushed!!!!! Took just over 1/2 gallon to seal the ends. Gonna be some nice bowls and platters out of that stuff. :D

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2006, 8:44 PM
Mark and Dennis that is one big haul boys. You are going to have a lot of turning to do.

Pete Jordan
10-30-2006, 9:25 PM
Great Haul!

Are you going to outboard turn those big honkers?

Mark Cothren
10-30-2006, 9:54 PM
...bowls and platters...

When you gonna saddle up that Jamieson hollowing rig???????????????? C'MON! Get a hollow form done! Sucka....:D

Travis Stinson
10-30-2006, 9:56 PM
Dennis has a Jamieson hollowing rig????:confused:

Jim Ketron
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Really????????

Andy Hoyt
10-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Dennis has a lathe?

Mark Cothren
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I think he dropped the head/tail stock off and is using the bed for a tablesaw extension...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Today, was an excellent day.!!! I got to spend a good part of today with Mark Cothren as we traveled to gather up some walnut. :)

I'm just a little envious!

Congrats guys!

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
I think he dropped the head/tail stock off and is using the bed for a tablesaw extension...

Hey, as much FLATWORK that I've been doing for the past 3 months has left me precious little time for what I "really" want to be doing (turning on the lathe). It's been calling my name really hard. Hollowing? You better saddle up your horse and mosey over this way and teach me a thing or two. :rolleyes:

Rusty Smith
10-31-2006, 1:26 PM
Well dang Dennis, if I had known you and Mark were going to do some playing, I would not have been so fast to run off home last night. I did watch the bowl turning CD last night that you loaned me. Bill has some neat ideas, in addition to a well developed "turning muscle" :D

Thanks again,
Rusty

Mark Cothren
10-31-2006, 2:03 PM
Hey Rusty, we "played" nearly all day yesterday... you are more than welcome to join in next time we make a wood run...:D

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 3:47 PM
Hey Rusty, we "played" nearly all day yesterday... you are more than welcome to join in next time we make a wood run...:D

Yup....now we just gotta get him into the "Mustard Club". :p :D

Rusty Smith
10-31-2006, 3:49 PM
Okay, I know better than to do this - - - - but, what is the Mustard Club?

Andy Hoyt
10-31-2006, 4:22 PM
Rusty - It's a Support Group devoted to helping all those who suffer inadequacies brought on by their unsuitabilty to join the Mayo Club.:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2006, 4:23 PM
Oh my Rusty, You just had to ask didn't you. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mark Cothren
10-31-2006, 4:24 PM
Just remember this... Mayo spelled backwards is.....................Moxie.

Keith Burns
10-31-2006, 4:38 PM
Man oh man...............I feel a wood raid coming on (restrain self), na, go for it...................:eek:

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 4:55 PM
Rusty,

The Mustard Club is just what we call those of us that have a Powermatic 3520A or 3520B lathe. The...yuck.....Mayo Club is Andy and his Oneway lathe. :p :D :p :D

Dennis Peacock
10-31-2006, 4:57 PM
Man oh man...............I feel a wood raid coming on (restrain self), na, go for it...................:eek:

Well, if you make it out this way.....Nah....Here's Dennis running to hide his stash of Walnut. :rolleyes: :D

Jerry Olexa
10-31-2006, 11:34 PM
GREAT Haul!!!!

Rick de Roque
11-01-2006, 12:55 AM
What did you do with the rest of the tree? Or was this a dumb question?:rolleyes:

Rick

Mark Cothren
11-01-2006, 8:09 AM
Hey Rick, the guy had these trees on a creek bank and the water was eroding the dirt from under it to the point he was afraid the trees were gonna fall. So he sold the trees to an outfit that is turning the huge, old logs into veneer. They took most of the largest part of the trunk, but left PLENTY of turning stock...:D And... the stumps are still there in the ground. One of them is huge, and the other one is just one click shy of huge... I've e-mailed the guy (very nice folks) and told him he should have someone come dig the stumps with a backhoe and check into selling them as well.

Rick de Roque
11-01-2006, 9:50 PM
Mark,
Would have been nice to see those trees before they were cut. Where were they? In Greenbrier? I work up in the Clinton area and I have cut some good size walnut trees and since I just started woodworking a few years ago I now kick myself for leaving ALOT of good wood.At the time I was just looking at boards and flat work but I now know there was alot of good turning blanks left. Live and learn. You and Dennis had a great haul. All us Arkies need to get together sometime.
Rick

Mark Cothren
11-01-2006, 10:02 PM
These were up just NE of Batesville... the biggest part of the trees were already gone when I got there... the only piece that was left that would have made good lumber was 4' long about about 34" in diameter... but that chunk got dissected into some large turning stock...:D

Yep - an Arky gathering is coming soon to a location near you...:)