PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for the Sorby's?

Greg Koch
10-30-2006, 6:10 PM
I'm getting close to the edge.... I bought Richard Raffin's 3 book set on turning, thanks Scott, and it arrived today. I've cost Woodcraft a bunch of money in bandwidth checking/reviewing their sale on the Rikon mini.

They also have a 5 piece starter set of Sorby's turning tools on sale for $139. I'm wondering if this is such a good deal I should go ahead and get them...anticipating I will eventually get a lathe?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=392

What would you do...if you were in my position?

Thanks

Mark Pruitt
10-30-2006, 6:26 PM
The 30% discount on Sorby tools is only for this month IIRC, as is the sale on the Rikon mini. Get 'em while they're hot.

Greg Koch
10-30-2006, 6:34 PM
Mark,

I can't get the Rikon at this time, and I think I should learn a bit more before I make the "lathe" decision. There also might be the possibility of getting a lathe on craigslist or other local source, I don't know. I figure I can use the Sorby's on any lathe I get, and 30% seems to be a big discount for them. I will order today, or tomorrow, if I decide to go for them.

I hope this helps clarify where I am right now.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2006, 9:13 PM
Greg I am a new turner and have been turning since last December. Here are some things I would not do again if I knew then what I know now. I would not buy my turning tools in sets. Most of the time you will only use 1 or 2 out of the set. Second I would not buy an expensive set to begin with. Since I had no turning or sharpening experience it was real easy to ruin a $100 tool rather than one out of a $35 set or a $20 tool. I would buy something like Harbour Freight set for $35 or some of the cheaper gouges from Penn State Industries. Once you learn how to sharpen properly then move up to the Sorby's, Crowns, etc. The one thing I feel I did right was to buy a Delta Midi lathe to learn on and then moved up to the big lathe I have. By the way I am giving my first lathe away to my nephew for Christmas and bought the Rikon which I like a lot. I don't think you can do much better especially for that price. Most got their mini lathe first, learned and then kept them when they moved up to the bigger lathe. Anyway those are just some of the thoughts that may or may not help in your decisions.

Greg Koch
10-30-2006, 9:20 PM
Bernie...thank's so much. Great advice, and some things I did think about. I appreciate your help, and very informative post. I will pass on the Sorby's and look closer at come of the catalogs, PSI included.

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2006, 9:59 PM
Greg.........The inmates here threw me into turning back in late January or early February. Initially I was given a cheap set of Harbor Freight tools and they were great to learn with. If you don't have a grinder.....get one and get a grinding jig. I don't care what the grade of tool you have when it's dull it's a pain to use! I bought a Wolverine jig set and a Woodcraft slowspeed grinder. As Bernie says, get the cheaper tools to learn how to grind and sharpen them. Then you can go on to more expensive tools. I have Sorbys and other expensive tools and I still have the HF tools. Truthfully, I don't use the HF tools much anymore. I'm a big man and the HF handles just aren't comfortable to me but ....that being said they were nice to learn to use and gain some sharpening skills. I have a friend who's contemplating buying a mini lathe for his son. This guy has a large family and isn't financially that well off. I'm sure his son can learn to turn with my HF tools..........so they'll be his if he buys the lathe.

Good luck with your trip into the Abyss!

Greg Koch
10-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks Ken,

I'm beginning to see a little more light at the end of the confusion tunnel...or is it the .....:eek:

Greg

Frank Kobilsek
10-31-2006, 9:12 AM
Greg,
Visit the Grizzley website, they carry Sorby at prices even less than the Woodcraft 30% off. I'm not a big Grizzley fan but on Sorby they have the best price. I think the Artisan line of tools from Crafts Supply are the best value on good tools and while I don't like the handles the Pinacle tools from Woodcraft are pretty good.

The comments on sets are legitimate. If you are going to work on spindle stuff for awhile you might be better off with 3 spindle gouges of different sizes than a meduim set with only one size spindle gouge. Same for bowls/platters.

Frank